No Walder Frey in Season 5 but hoping to be back next year

JonSnowed

It makes sense - Frey wasn't really on screen in books 4 and 5, either. Pushing back the Jaime Riverlands diplomacy (and possibly giving it to another character if Jaime does die at the end of season 5 / beginning of season 6) to coincide with the backlash against the Freys could make for a solid Riverlands arc in season 6.

From a TV viewers perspective though, people will wonder where the SOB who killed Robb, Talisa, Ned jr., Cat, Greywind, and for all they knew, the awesome Greatjon Umber... they can't just blame it all on Roose, eventually the TV viewers will want to know where that puttering old evil man went, and they'll want his head.

I do agree with you. Bringing Walder Frey back in season 6 after his absence for two seasons is going to be awkward. But that is how this story is written, and Walder Frey's punishment is probably going to be a major sequence that couldn't easily be shifted forward without perturbing a lot of other character arcs. GoT and ASOIAF benefit from binge consumption.

He says in that interview that he's been assured by Benioff that he WILL BE back just not in s5. He hints at divine retribution. If anything this hints at LSH showing up rather than her not showing up.

Walder Frey wasn't in AFFC or ADWD anyways, so why would he be in s5?

He says in that interview that he's been assured by Benioff that he WILL BE back just not in s5. He hints at divine retribution. If anything this hints at LSH showing up rather than her not showing up.

Could be LSH, or it could be Arya in disguise serving up a feast with a "savory glaze" of basilisk venom before barring the doors, letting the feasting Freys slaughter each other in a rabid frenzy, and then opening the gates for Nymeria's wolf pack (pure conjecture, I know, but everyone would say "Look! The gods made the Frey men slaughter each other in a fit of madness while wolves devoured their bannermen! Guess that guest rite is sacred after all…"). That is how I want the Freys to get paid back. I can just imagine David Bradley's close ups as he watches his family slaughter each other on his raised platform, and then starts to foam at the mouth himself. While I'm holding out hope that LSH will show up in S05, a scene like this in S06 would almost make up for her absence.

If they are cutting LS it makes sense to cut Walder Frey and whatever happens in the Riverlands with the brotherhood.

While the books have a number of instances where bad guys escape or are killed by third parties for tangential reasons, the show makes alterations to allow characters to get vengeance on the people that wronged them. Most notably with Arya's list, but in other instances too. Brienne's kills have had a stronger streak of personal retribution in the show than they did in the books, Stannis only shadowbaby'd his treasonous brother and not his brother's loyal retainer, ect. I can't believe that the show would leave house Frey and the BWB hanging.

Yes all you really need is a "Previously on Game of Thrones...All your favourite characters died and this dude right here caused it...remember stupid?! Good let's continue."

Maybe its just me but if it gets pushed to Season 6 it feels like it may diminish what he did to the Starks and the Tullys.... or perhaps it will also be tied to the resolution with Roose in the north? That we we could have a one two punch in the resolution department to get the payoff for these two characters which committed such a heinous act against their King and his family.

It will perhaps be unfounded my worry about the payoff for the late lord Walder... I am just hoping that his death is glorious and I wouldn't even mind some irony in his death somehow...

Archived