Baelor the Blessed Theory

Crowfood's Daughter

Further proof which I think seals the deal on this one. Link where this was obtained found here

From Celtic mythology:

In this tale, Balor hears a druid's prophecy that he will be killed by his own grandson. To prevent this he imprisons his only daughter in the Tór Mór (great tower) of Tory Island, cared for by twelve women, who are to prevent her ever meeting or even learning of the existence of men. On the mainland, Mac Cinnfhaelaidh owns a magic cow who gives such abundant milk that everyone, including Balor, wants to possess her. While the cow is in the care of Mac Cinnfhaelaidh's brother Mac Samthainn, Balor appears in the form of a little red-haired boy and tricks him into giving him the cow. Looking for revenge, Mac Cinnfhaelaidh calls on a leanan sídhe (fairy woman) called Biróg, who transports him by magic to the top of Balor's tower, where he seduces Eithne. In time she gives birth to triplets, which Balor gathers up in a sheet and sends to be drowned in a whirlpool. The messenger drowns two of the babies, but unwittingly drops one child into the harbour, where he is rescued by Biróg. She takes him to his father, who gives him to his brother, Gavida the smith, in fosterage.

There is def a trend for certain Targs to devote their all top the study of scrolls and books, presumably about prophecy. Baelor, Aerys I, and then Rhaegar, until something he found changed everything. I think ur def onto something and that it'll turn out to be much bigger than just Baelor. It may even go all the way back to Dany the Dreamer (think that was her name). We know moving to DS wasn't her only vision, and we don't really know what that vision was exactly either. I think u may have uncovered the tiniest tip of what will prove to be a Planetos sized iceberg.

• 4 months later...

I agree with this idea and I am sure there is much more to Baelor and his sisters than just a pious nutter.

I also find that there is a constancy of names that MUST have significance -just not sure what:

Baelor

Bael the bard

Beaelish

Balon

And as note Balor or Celtic legend - he had the evil eye We have a word "baleful look or eye" that steps from fear of Balor's eye

Similarly we have a Bran theme for important chracters

Brandon

Bran

Brynden (same name and Bran is essence) Rivers

Brynden Tully

We also have a Wyla theme for characters

Wylla Jon's wet nurse/mother

Wylla the mother of LONNEL SNOW

Wylla Manderly

There may also be a Ly theme for women who get caught in love triangles

Lyanna

Lyara (possibly)

Lynesse

I agree with this idea and I am sure there is much more to Baelor and his sisters than just a pious nutter.

I also find that there is a constancy of names that MUST have significance -just not sure what:

Baelor

Bael the bard

Beaelish

Balon

And as note Balor or Celtic legend - he had the evil eye We have a word "baleful look or eye" that steps from fear of Balor's eye

Similarly we have a Bran theme for important chracters

Brandon

Bran

Brynden (same name and Bran is essence) Rivers

Brynden Tully

We also have a Wyla theme for characters

Wylla Jon's wet nurse/mother

Wylla the mother of LONNEL SNOW

Wylla Manderly

There may also be a Ly theme for women who get caught in love triangles

Lyanna

Lyara (possibly)

Lynesse

Thanks, This was one of my first topics and the number 9 stuck out like a sore thumb in the series so I just wanted to investigate the 9th Targaryen King as it seemed important. I recently figured out what the number nine actually represents in the series which then leads me to question WHO influenced him and HOW he was influenced. Baelor is mentioned quite a lot in the series and mentioned by Sam during Maester Aemon's hallucinations as he lay dying in the end I believe him to be an important historical character.

Archived