Twin Peaks is coming back

Fez

The question is what this will add to the series? The story they told is finished, so the only thing they can do is a new story with some of the same characters.

Although I think it can turn out to be good. As long as they catch the mood and atmosphere and it's an ok story, then at least I'm in for the first season.

The question is what this will add to the series? The story they told is finished, so the only thing they can do is a new story with some of the same characters.

Wut? Twin Peaks is one of the most criminally unfinished stories in TV history. It ended on a cliffhanger, with the main character being trapped in an otherworldly dimension and the villain taking over his body. I'm not sure what was finished about that.

The movie didn't bother with resolving the cliffhanger, opting instead to go further into the murder of Laura Palmer. On top of that, the whole deal with the Black Lodge, Bob, his thirst for garmonbozia etc. is ripe for much more nightmarish exploration. But even so, the plot of the series was literally left hanging.

Not sure it's correct, but I've read somewhere, that initial idea of Lynch/Frost was to end it definitely after first season: door opens, shot rings out, agent Cooper falls down, the curtain, credits. That would be probably the most jaw dropping ending in TV history and no mistake.

Wut? Twin Peaks is one of the most criminally unfinished stories in TV history. It ended on a cliffhanger, with the main character being trapped in an otherworldly dimension and the villain taking over his body. I'm not sure what was finished about that.

The movie didn't bother with resolving the cliffhanger, opting instead to go further into the murder of Laura Palmer. On top of that, the whole deal with the Black Lodge, Bob, his thirst for garmonbozia etc. is ripe for much more nightmarish exploration. But even so, the plot of the series was literally left hanging.

I couldn't agree more. When I think that more than 20 years passed since ir aired and how we are going to have some actual closure to this series I get shivers. Audrey Horne is my favorite character, and now we're going to finally know what happened to her! I know that Sherilyn Fenn said that Mr Lynch was planning a spin off in which she survives (and then she kind of becomes Naomi Watts in Mulholland Dr.), but to know for sure inside the Twin Peaks canon universe is so much better.

Now he is going to be able to do whatever he wants, without pressure from the network. I can't hardly wait for it. Not only because Lynch is one of my favorite filmmakers and it's been a long time since he directed a project, but also because it's Twin Peaks! David Lynch with total creativity control directing all the 9 episodes. I should just put myself into a coma and wake up one hour before it airs, hahaha...

Indeed, you have some points. But you basically say you want them to tread thecsame roads they did in the 90's? Just keep going exactly like they did.

Isn't this an opportunity to do something fresh inside the Twin Peaks story. Because i think it is.

Um, Lord Bowie did.

Yep, I did. And I still believe that we will get some. I don't think that my idea for closure is the same for you (for most people, aren't). For me, having closure to a series doesn't mean that everything is spoon fed to us and the everything have to be 100% explained. For example, my favorite Lynch film (and one of my favorite films ever) is Mulholland Drive. It leaves some questions but that doesn't mean that the story should go on. It has closure. And so all of Lynch projects that, for me, ends when it should end. Except for Twin Peaks and maybe Inland Empire.

If you think that Lynch and Frost had everything they wanted in the second season, I beg to differ. A lot of changes were made regarding the decreasing ratings and Lynch couldn't film a lot of stuff because it wasn't only his call. To say that the creators wanted an ambiguous ending is one thing. To say that they wanted lack of closure is quite another. Maybe I misinterpreted the word "Closure" (I speak portuguese), but for me they always intended to continue the Twin Peaks story - and now they will finally do it. So I'm overly optimistic about it...

Ok. So I have never even watched the show. But I have read numerous interviews with Frost/Lynch wherein they explained it was their plan to never reveal a single damned thing and that the network forced them to reveal even the little that they did.

It all sounds very "Lost" to me.

And I am familiar with Lynch's films. Maybe too familiar.

I am interested, but.... worried. Not being dicked around is somewhat important to me. It all sounds very manipulative. Like it preys on people's delight in the mysterious endlessly.

I'm more worried than excited TBH. Not about the plot, I'm just not sure if it's possible to restore the original atmosphere of the series. And Twin Peaks was all about atmosphere.

I haven't seen the original since it first aired, so I don't remember too much about it. Sometimes I actually get confused between what was in Twin Peaks and what was in Blue Velvet - the movie that came out prior to the series. Blue Velvet has nothing to do with Twin Peaks except for having Kyle MacLaughlin as the main character. If you like the eeriness of Twin Peaks, there's more of the same in Blue Velvet.

ETA: But, yeah, I'm a bit worried too. Expectations are bound to be high, and you know what that usually means.

Ok. So I have never even watched the show. But I have read numerous interviews with Frost/Lynch wherein they explained it was their plan to never reveal a single damned thing and that the network forced them to reveal even the little that they did.

It all sounds very "Lost" to me.

And I am familiar with Lynch's films. Maybe too familiar.

I am interested, but.... worried. Not being dicked around is somewhat important to me. It all sounds very manipulative. Like it preys on people's delight in the mysterious endlessly.

The difference is, Lynch is far, far better at creating atmosphere than the Lost boys. And, for me, his stuff is never about the mystery, its about the feeling it creates; getting answers is besides the point.

And I'm someone who was deeply pissed off by the end of Lost; but that was a show that was explicitly about the mysteries (at least up until the end, when all of a sudden it wasn't).

Archived