Twin Peaks is coming back

Fez

I'm so looking forward to this, especially since Lynch/Frost wanted to end the Show with a third season but never have gotten around to doing it (guess it was cancelled before they could wrap it up). So this would mean that they already know where it will be going, that they have the story/stories already at hand. Also, there's that line in the alternate ending (I think it's the alternate ending, or probably the movie? It's been a while since I watched either) in which

Laura tells Cooper that she'll be seeing him again in 25 years. Also, there's a shot of Cooper being a lot older - essentially Kyle MacLachlan made up as an older man.

It'll be interesting to see where this is going and how the show will work without Bob. I'd rather have them eliminate Bob than cast a different actor simply because Frank Silva's performance still scares the hell out of me. If they recast the role, the new guy will inevitably be compared to Silva.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just finished watching the series for the first time and I topped it off by watching Fire Walk With Me. Spoilers to follow for anyone still making their way through the series...

I know I said earlier that I liked the first half of season 2 better than season 1, but in retrospect, I'm not sure how true that actually is. Season 1 better incorporates all of the storylines and very rarely do any of the side stories feel... aimless or pointless. The first half of season 2 has a greater focus on the Laura Palmer case and the supernatural stuff and is all the better for it, but after the killer is revealed (which is such an awesome scene...) and apprehended, the show just plummets in quality. The Wyndom Earle plotline that takes over the second half of the season is really, really awful and the character is just not interesting. All of the other plots just drag on and on. What was the point of bringing back Leo? He does absolutely nothing in Season 2. I'll admit I found the Nadine plotline humorous but it's incredibly pointless, it ends exactly where it began. I understand that it's a parody of soap operas and it was, to an extent, in season 1, but in season 2 it pretty much is a soap opera, with all of the trappings and cliches and none of the interesting stuff that Twin Peaks brought initially. After about episode 13 or 14, I was less looking forward to watching Twin Peaks than I was doing it out of some sense of duty to finish what I'd started.

It kinda picks up in quality near the end, despite the addition of Heather Graham to the cast who might've been the worst actor on the show and whose character feels way too shoehorned in. Then there's the finale and holy fuck was it excellent. The entire sequence starting from when Cooper enters the Black Lodge to the very end is mesmerizing. Lynch cranks up the weird, has a very small scene with Earle (thankfully...), and brings back a bunch of characters that had been absent for the past 10 or so episodes. It was amazing how much the Palmers (Laura and Leland in particular) help ground the rest of the show and without them it's just so aimless. I loved the ending and I can't imagine watching that back when it aired and finding out the show'd been cancelled. Even though not everything was answered, I still think there is some finality there. Cooper confronts his shadow-self in the Black Lodge and ultimately fails. The end, that's it. I think Twin Peaks would've greatly benefited from the more modern approach to television with the shorter, more concise seasons. A full 22 episode season was just too much.

Fire Walk With Me I felt was half a good movie and half a bunch wtf stuff crammed in because... Lynch. The parts with Laura Palmer I felt were the best handled and most interesting portions. The parts with the investigation and Cooper and David Bowie just felt... tacked on like Lynch felt he had to include some of that stuff because that's what Twin Peaks fans wanted to see. A fully fleshed out movie on either subject would've been better, instead we get half and half and one half just didn't do much for me at all.

Overall, I really liked the series. It was way ahead of its time in some respects and it was at its best when Lynch was fully onboard. I'm looking forward to the next season but I'm just wondering how they're going to approach it and whether they will be able to handle it with the same deftness and skill as season 1. I'm not expecting the exact same thing or even the same feel (it has been 25 years...) but just the same focused storytelling. Time will tell and I can't wait to find out.

This is craazy. I always felt that if something like this did happen it would be on a network like HBO, Showtime or Netflix but it wasn't even on the radar... But this is the ultimate of cult shows. I wonder how well it's story will update. It's twenty years old now.

How does a world with smart phones and tablets correspond to the spooky demeanor of quiet Twin Peaks? And can they find actors that can successfully pull it into the now? Part of the reason Dallas failed was that after the death of Larry Hagman, none of the newer actors could carry the show forward. None of them captured the imagination the way Hagman did. Can McLaughlan still carry a show? Will he be back? Will it be a continuation or an update?

E2A: I too wanted Agent Cooper to get with Audrey,

E2A: Okay this is a reboot? Wow. I'm in.

Fire Walk With Me I felt was half a good movie and half a bunch wtf stuff crammed in because... Lynch. The parts with Laura Palmer I felt were the best handled and most interesting portions. The parts with the investigation and Cooper and David Bowie just felt... tacked on like Lynch felt he had to include some of that stuff because that's what Twin Peaks fans wanted to see. A fully fleshed out movie on either subject would've been better, instead we get half and half and one half just didn't do much for me at all.

Overall, I really liked the series. It was way ahead of its time in some respects and it was at its best when Lynch was fully onboard.

Everything is better with Lynch on board.

I don't think Lynch actually puts all sorts of wtf stuff in his movies/shows for no reason, I think it usually actually has meaning, but sometimes you have to watch it several times to get it (or think you do). I get new things out of his films (and my one rewatch of TP) every time I watch any of them.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching the series on Netflix. What a crazy/cool/perplexing show. I love all the characters (except Nadine), I absolutely could have done with out the amnesia/super strength stuff. Audrey Horne was probably the most entertaining character, I really liked her. I assume she died in the explosion? :crying: . Fell a little bit in love with Shelley. What a beautiful actress :wub: And damn if Bob isn't one of the freakiest villains I've seen . :eek: Really liked the theme song for the opening credits too. Set the tone perfectly. I have to take some to to reflect on everything as I binged the whole thing pretty quickly, but I'm exited about seeing these characters again.

To anyone that's seen Fire Walk With Me, is it any good? It's seems to be hard to find. Is it worth tracking down? Is there anything in it I'd need to see before the return of the show?

To anyone that's seen Fire Walk With Me, is it any good? It's seems to be hard to find. Is it worth tracking down? Is there anything in it I'd need to see before the return of the show?

It's definitely not the same quality as the series, but it reveals who murdered Laura Palmer at least. ;) And it has some crazy stuff too (David Bowie!!!). I'd watch it if I were you.

I just finshed the last episode yesterday. I actually watched season 1 last year around fall but by some reason I never continued with season 2. But now I watched it all in one succesion instead.

It's a good show, absolutely, and I've said so before, and you really see what a big influence it has on other shows that came after, but I don't think it's without flaws. There are quite a lot of stuff I think were pretty bad at times, and even though there are a lot of brilliant stuff I don't know if you should give everything mediocre a pass just because of the good parts. I don't know.

Things I thought were great was the characters of Coop, Audrey, Ben, Dr. Jacoby and the main mysteries were great. Garland Briggs was a great character too. Basically the characters they don't overdo. And a lot of the smaller side characters are great and fit in well too. The soundtrack, environmetsn and atmosphere is great too. The main story is compelling and interesting, and the first season is without a doubt stronger as a whole. The second was so cheesy and badly written I was thinking of quitting some times. Except the last 2 episodes which were really, really good. The last episode was just brilliant all the way through. I do like chess so I think that whole aspect of the last few epsiodes was fine. But Windom Earle is built up as a pretty sly and smart character, but when you actually get to see him on screen he is just as over the top and cheesy as many of the other characters in TP.

Storylines that I didn't like were first of Nadine's, which is one of the worst damn things I've seen in a tv show. Donna/James/Maddie is so cliched and cheesy I was hoping they would get killed. Andy and Lucy's "relationship" is also imo not remotely interesting and why they spend such a huge amount on both of them together is baffling to me. I have no idea how a character like Andy would ever be able to become a cop. Hawk and Harry are good cops, but Andy is probably retarded so... it's dangerous to have him as a cop at times. The big thing with TP that annoyed me was how much unnecessary time they spent on storylines which are just shit, or don't matter one iota in the big picture. There was so much filler that I could understand why it got axed. It probably deserved it seeing the middle episodes of season 2.

So, when it's good, it's really good but it also has some pretty low lows, imo. I heard that they were forced to reveal Laura's killer by the network and I actually think that was a good thing. Was their initial plan to just jerk the audience around for as long as possible? That to me was evidence that Lynch and Frost were a bit off in some things they did.

Anyway, this was maybe a bit too pessimistic I can admit, as I've said, a lot of things are really good in the show and I enjoyed a lot of it. But seriously, I saw a user on imdb suggesting an edited version of it and that sounded good to me, but then again, if you cut out everything except the central stuff, it's a completely different show.

I appreciate TP for what it is, and can definitely understand why it was so popular, but it has some falws which I think drags teh grade down a bit. Definitely worth seeing though, and I'm already anticipating the 2016 season. Hopefully they'll be able to recreate teh atmosphere and spooky feeling in a new time.

<snip>

No sure how true it is, but I have been told that Lynch had very little involvement (to the point of almost non-existent) in the production for most of the second season. He only really came back for the last 2-3 episodes (at least in any meaningful way), which I think shows when you compare the finish to the rest of the season.

But ya, totally agree.

@Commodore: hahaha, indeed. I knew exactly what that link would be before I ever clicked on it. Woof

Haha. Pretty much my point. No one told anyone to tone it down there, just a notch...

No sure how true it is, but I have been told that Lynch had very little involvement (to the point of almost non-existent) in the production for most of the second season. He only really came back for the last 2-3 episodes (at least in any meaningful way), which I think shows when you compare the finish to the rest of the season.

But ya, totally agree.

@Commodore: hahaha, indeed. I knew exactly what that link would be before I ever clicked on it. Woof

I think it's true. I've heard the same thing, so maybe there's a point in it.

Anyway, I think the new season can be great. They only have 9 episodes so that means the show must have some kind of focus to an end I think. I guess they'll have a new mystery of some kind that they can focus on and still fleshing out the Cooper stuff from season 2. Mainly how he will get back. Wonder what they'll do though since the actor who played Bob is dead.

And I guess Audrey must have survived the explosion since Sherilyn Fenn is back. At least I think she's confirmed. She was one of the best things about TP.

Aaaaugh! I don't know how I feel about this. I watched TP when it originally aired and it was my favorite show of all time, but Fire Walk With Me was a hot mess. Different cast, different locations, none of the foggy dark fairy tale atmosphere of the original. I guess I'm tentatively hopeful. I just hope they go for all the original actors. I hear Lara Flynn Boyle could use the work.

• 2 months later...

Archived