Walk of shame scene

Arataniello

"Yes, two completely different things. Now if Osney were paraded around naked and shamed for the crime of sleeping with Cersei, then we could talk comparisons."

But it would not be seen by Osney as a very great punishment. The Walk of Shame is a devastating punishment to a noble woman simply because showing nakedness in public by a noble woman is accepted as totally humiliating in the culture. The same simply does not hold for a man. Now, we can all talk about the misogynec nature of Westeros scoiety but the truth is as a puinshment "works" when used against a noble woman in a manner that it would not "work" against a man. And the Sparrow does not strike me as someone who is misogynec as much as interested in effectively undercutting Lannister power.

"Though, yes, Osney's whipping is a more vicious interrogation method than the sensory methods was used on Cersei. That's more about rank than gender, most likely, though. "

Ah, both are noble, Cersi is Royal by marriage not by birth so I think the differince in punishment has more to to with fact that she is a woman and more importantly that physically mutilating her at that point in time did not serve the Sparrows prurpose of underming Lannister power (Even the small people might react with sympathy to seeing Cerci physically harmed).

But it would not be seen by Osney as a very great punishment. The Walk of Shame is a devastating punishment to a noble woman simply because showing nakedness in public by a noble woman is accepted as totally humiliating in the culture. The same simply does not hold for a man. Now, we can all talk about the misogynec nature of Westeros scoiety but the truth is as a puinshment "works" when used against a noble woman in a manner that it would not "work" against a man. And the Sparrow does not strike me as someone who is misogynec as much as interested in effectively undercutting Lannister power.

Indeed.

Ah, both are noble, Cersi is Royal by marriage not by birth so I think the differince in punishment has more to to with fact that she is a woman and more importantly that physically mutilating her at that point in time did not serve the Sparrows prurpose of underming Lannister power (Even the small people might react with sympathy to seeing Cerci physically harmed).

Cersei is as the Lady of Casterly Rock a Lady Paramount in her own right and as a descendant of the Lannister Kings of the Rock, whose ancient royal lineage goes back to the Age of Heroes as well as the Lannister riches, she is royal in all but name. The House where Osney is a member of, House Kettleblack, is a poor knightly House of questionable origin whose members make their living as sellswords and who are only a single step above the smallfolk. Cersei therefore outranks Osney by a country mile.

"Yes, two completely different things. Now if Osney were paraded around naked and shamed for the crime of sleeping with Cersei, then we could talk comparisons."

I absolutely agree. The punishment would not be equally punishing, but that is a different conversation. I can see where I wasn't clear, but I was trying to draw attention to the fact that it's something that wouldn't happen.

So the scene ended up getting greenlit and they filmed it after the initial problems?

Yes. The Croatia's Filming Commission spoke to the officials in Dubrovnik and arranged for a compromise. The scene has been shot. Nothing to worry about.

"Can't believe how much uproar this scene causes... Jeez."

Well I could see how a priest might object to a scene of a naked woman walking next to a Church. The shooting was moved to another part of town and much of the expense was paying shopkeepers whose businesses were virtually shut down during filming.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's a good thing you are fully prepared, because we've already had people from a serious (or supposedly so) podcast stating (re the Sept scene)she deserved to get raped / that it didn't matter because "it's Cersei"

Sept scene was done poorly, I "got" what it was meant to be in terms of the thematic discourse when I saw the counterpart scene final episode scene in the kings guard tower which was the "I don't care" equivalent with the kings guard book playing the role of Joffrey

Of course no one has clicked that the sept scene is a form of rape though it wasn't intended to be and brings up an uncomfortable social debate as to what the lines of consensual sex are

As for the WoS and this talk of misogyny, the militant faith members seem to take a very narrow view on what's they consider deviant sexual behaviour, I think if recall talk about one of the favourites for high Septon being dragged out of one of the brothels by a mob which is a different form of public humiliation and of course they locked up one of the normal septons who greet Cersei simply for being too fat

They are borne out of turmoil and unsurprisingly are totally nuts and intolerant

Then there's the clergy vs nobility angle, we can see the lack of deference towards Jaimie by the guards outside of where Lancel is praying, and in this case the High Septon has an interest in undercutting both Margaery AND Cersei in a very public way.

Obviously it is important that female nobles are only perceived as having sexual relations with their husbands for legitimate heir reasons and preventing questions of legitimacy, eg entire Stannis/Renly claim and indeed Wo5K centres around this so it is a very serious matter

Biggest theme though is that the old hierarchical order based around the House nobility clearly failed to protect the Riverlands especially but country in general from the ravages of war and in terms of the Mountain being unleashed are even explicitly responsible so naturally there is going to be an extremist grassroots backlash against the old order and their legitimacy no longer recognised, this can take many forms from Class but in this case it is obviously religion channelled through the High Sparrow as a figurehead

Archived