Janos Slynt's name observation

Lithon

As I am still reading aGOT, I noticed something similar with the name of the character of Janos Slynt. I use Audible a lot and I am currently listening to "The History of Ancient Rome" During the chapters of the empire of Rome, there is this man who you can think of as the first important leader/commander of the Praetorian Guard. His name is Lucius Aelius Seianus. As the Praetorian Prefect, he held a kinda similar position as being stationed in the city Rome. He defended his emperor name. Janos from aGOT has held something similar in King's Landing. Also their names: Janos and Sejanus are kinda similar. That's all what I wanted to say lol. A small remark or an just weird observation.

GRRM probably draws his inspiration from a lot of historical events places and people. It is entirely possible for him to have heard of this Praetorian Guard captain and named a character after him. Good catch though. I didn't keep track of things that could be historical references but that would make a cool thread if it doesn't already exist.

GRRM probably draws his inspiration from a lot of historical events places and people. It is entirely possible for him to have heard of this Praetorian Guard captain and named a character after him. Good catch though. I didn't keep track of things that could be historical references but that would make a cool thread if it doesn't already exist.

"It is known"! Yeah GRRM used the Roman and Medieval history for inspiration.Also, It would be cool if someone keep track of all these possible historical references. And thanks!

Archived