Daily Facts of Ice and Fire

HarperVoyagerUK, the British publisher of TWoIaF, has been releasing a new fact from the book each day. I'll try update it each day, although I'm not from the UK so most likely it will be seen long before then. Discuss if you want!

Aegon Targaryen conquered the Seven Kingdoms at the age of 27 #Precocious

Maegor the Cruel killed his wife Tyanna, cut her heart out with Blackfyre and threw it to the dogs!

Daemon Targaryen offended the men of Arryn saying "The sheep are prettier than their women" #burn

Ellyn Reyne tried to seduce Tytos Lannister, but he was so intimidated, he couldn't perform and fled

Queen Rhaenyra possessed 15 dragons, including one named the Cannibal

Volantis slaves have tattooed faces. Dung collectors are marked with flies.

Nights Watch member "the Rat Cook" served a king his own son baked in a pie

The Valyrians are the only people of the world with eyes in shades of purple #pretty

In Kings Landing, Aerys II was called King Scab as he cut himself many times upon the Iron Throne.

Apparently the Pink Pavilion is made from the flayed skin of 100 Sistermen!

Women in Bayasabhad defend the city due to a belief that only those who give life can take it

The Lhazareen raise sheep, but are vegetarians

Khal Temmo cut off Khal Dhakos hands feet & genitals & roasted them before his eyes #DothrakiBBQ

Joffrey Velaryon, Prince of Dragonstone, fell to his death trying to ride his mum's dragon #Fail

The Rhoynar people are said to be the first to learn the art of iron-making #Resourceful

Most agree the Doom of Valyria was caused by a vast chain of volcanoes erupting at once

Emerging from battle head to heel in blood, Dalton Greyjoy became known as the Red Kraken

Qohor's god the Black Goat requires daily sacrifice

After calling himself triarch for life, Horonno was seized by rioters & torn apart by elephants

Royce Redarm got his nickname for his habit of pulling out the entrails of his foes #Charming

Orys One-Hand liked to lop off his captives hands & feet & leave them to rot in his tent

Dwellers of the remote Isle of Toads have fishy features including webbed hands and feet

Legend has it that Rodrik Stark won Bear Island back from the ironborn in a wrestling match

It's said that every 77 years a storm greater than all others comes howling down upon Storm’s End

I'd just like to thank everyone who is posting the facts on this blog, makes my job easier! :bowdown:

Comments on that:

Rhaenyra never weaponized the Cannibal, obviously, although the Blacks eventually may have. But it would not have been her, but the men fighting for Aegon III. Rhaenyra only had Syrax, Caraxes, Arrax, Vermax, Tyraxes, Stormcloud, Meleys, Moondancer, Seasmoke, Silverwing (for a time), Vermithor (for a time), and Sheepstealer.

Never thought the Rat Cook may have been a member of the NW, but that really was obviously all along as I know realize.

The Valyrian eyes line is interpreted in the paraphrasing. We know that the Daynes are not Valyrians (at least not in the sense as the Targaryens or Velaryons are), suggesting that qualities of peoples, most likely the Valyrians, are discussed in the passage the quote is referring to. Not necessarily the possibility whether individual person can or cannot have purple eyes.

"Rhaenyra possessed 15" but that is one more than we were aware of. I guess the edited-out dragon has finally chosen a side. ;-)

Syrax, Caraxes, Meleys, Vermax, Arrax, Tyraxes, Stormcloud and Moondancer (8)

Vermithor, Silverwing, Seasmoke, Sheepstealer, Grey Ghost and the Cannibal (6)

Confirmation for Tyanna of Pentos being one of Maegor's wives.

Comments on that:

Rhaenyra never weaponized the Cannibal, obviously, although the Blacks eventually may have. But it would not have been her, but the men fighting for Aegon III. Rhaenyra only had Syrax, Caraxes, Arrax, Vermax, Tyraxes, Stormcloud, Meleys, Moondancer, Seasmoke, Silverwing (for a time), Vermithor (for a time), and Sheepstealer.

Maybe the tweet is intended to include the two hatchlings (Shrykos, Morghul) and the dragon of Helaena that died in the Dragonpit while Rhaenyra was in control of KL.

"Queen Rhaenyra possessed 15 dragons, including one named the Cannibal"

Too bad no one informed Cannibal that he was Rhaenyra's possession...

IMO, Rhaenyra only had Syrax, and the (more or less solid) loyalty of the dragonriders allied to her. Their dragons did not care one bit about black or green, Rhaenyra or Aegon, claims, succession etc... Cannibal especially, even less so...

I'd imagine that the book includes a list detailing the dragons of the two factions, and it would make sense to assume that - if there is no additional list of 'wild dragons' - that all the riderless dragons would be counted among Rhaenyra's dragons (or rather, among the dragons Rhaenyra could make use if she could find more dragonriders).

After Rhaenyra took KL she technically could have tried to find a rider for Shrykos, considering that Jaehaerys was dead, but as long Jaehaera and Helaena lived, there was no chance for her people to claim those dragons.

Aegon Targaryen conquered the Seven Kingdoms at

the age of 27 #precocious

- Look at your life, Twentysomethings. Look at your choices.

Ha! Good one! Good thing I'm turning 30 soon....dunno how that makes it better, but at least I'll be out of the sample.

Does this publisher even has permission to do this?!?

Also regarding the details Aegon being 27 when he conquered the 7 kingdoms makes me think he was sterile even more.

27 years is a long time not to sire any children.

Then it only happens when one of your wives has other suitors and one uses black magic?

A bit funny that the whole Targ line might not actually have any of the First Dragons blood actually in it (his sisters don't count).

Publishers have contractual rightfs to the text, and the right to promote it as they think best. Extracting a handful of facts and tweeting them is perfectly reasonable. I believe they can also excerpt up to 10% of the text as well.

Also regarding the details Aegon being 27 when he conquered the 7 kingdoms makes me think he was sterile even more.

27 years is a long time not to sire any children.

Then it only happens when one of your wives has other suitors and one uses black magic?

While I also believe that Aegon being sterile is a very interesting (and likely) possibility, another explanation for his late fatherhood could be his travels.

He is supposed to have visited Oldtown, Lannisport, and other parts of Westeros in his youth. And he also spent time in his campaign against Volantis. If he was living adventures away from Dragonstone during most of his youth, that could explain why he didn't father children earlier. At least, I assume that's what the common Westerosi believes.

While I also believe that Aegon being sterile is a very interesting (and likely) possibility, another explanation for his late fatherhood could be his travels.

He is supposed to have visited Oldtown, Lannisport, and other parts of Westeros in his youth. And he also spent time in his campaign against Volantis. If he was living adventures away from Dragonstone during most of his youth, that could explain why he didn't father children earlier. At least, I assume that's what the common Westerosi believes.

In addition, though he might have already been married to Visenya for some time, it sounds from description from SSM that he did not much like to spend time with her. Combined with his travels, that can explain why they only had one child, and rather late.

As to his marriage to Rhaenys, that might have occured just shortly before the Conquest began. So there would only have been time to have children after the war was done.

And Aegon was 25 when the war of Conquest began, and 27 when it ended.. Edmure Tully is late 20ties/early 30ties, and is only now expecting his first child.. For a male, not having children yet at such an age does not sound like something out of the ordinary to me.

Archived