Daily Facts of Ice and Fire

• Maegor the Cruel killed his wife Tyanna, cut her heart out with Blackfyre and threw it to the dogs! (That sword causes nothing but trouble....)

Queen Rhaenyra possessed 15 dragons, including one named the Cannibal

Apparently the Pink Pavilion is made from the flayed skin of 100 Sistermen!

Women in Bayasabhad defend the city due to a belief that only those who give life can take it.

The Lhazareen raise sheep, but are vegetarians.

The 15th dragon was apparently the as-yet-unnamed fourth one to survive (which I'm betting was hatched from Rhaenys of Pentos's eggs in the Eyrie). They wouldn't count the Green dragons they captured in the fall of King's Landing, there were three of those.

That's Rhaena, not Rhaenys ;)

• The Lhazareen raise sheep, but are vegetarians.

... Do I want to know why they raise sheep but don't eat them? This being ASOIAF it can't be just for milk and wool if you catch my drift

Khal Temmo cut off Khal Dhako’s hands feet & genitals & roasted them before his eyes #DothrakiBBQ #FactsofIceandFire https://t.co/u4gA6wRNdD

13 facts in 13 days!

Uhm, are this new Khals? Because I'm drawing a blank here.

Temmo lived after the Doom, but before the Conquest:

Khal Temmo led his khalasar to Qohor to sack the city. He destroyed the city's defenders on the first day and retired to his camps for the night, planning to sack the city the following day. The next morning he awoke to find three thousand Unsullied barring the way. Twelve times the khalasar attacked the Unsullied, to no avail. Khal Temmo was slain in the battle. His khalasar suffered grievous losses and eventually chose to retreat

(from the wiki for convenience).

Needless to say, Dahko's death occured before the planned sacking of Qohor :)

Still laughing at that hashtag. :)

GRRM said that the seat at Dragonstone is made of stone dragons, even though many artist go castles-with-ornamental-dragons; the drawing is great. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe someone should pester HV Twitter people for Asshai goodies? :D

Wow.

The Pink Pavillion had me checking my Map of the North again, to try and figure out in what pssible scenario the Boltons would come into conflict with the Sistermen.

I guess pirates from the Sisters could sail up the Weeping Water to raid the Dreadfort ruled lands, but that is an awfully long trip when richer rewards are closer at hand at Oldcastle, White Harbor, Ramsgate, Widow's Watch and surroundings.

Alternatively, the Boltons could have been a sea power in the past, if they sailed their fleets down the Weeping Water and into the Shivering Sea. But again, the Sisters are quite a ways from there, and don't really represent very rich pickings for a raiding force.

I guess the Pink Pavillion has to date from the War between the Starks and the Reavers from the Three Sisters, when the Rape of Sisterton took place 2000 years ago. As Stark vassals the Boltons would have been part of the Northern army that conquered the Three Sisters. In fact, if a Bolton was given command of that army it could explain why the conquest was of such brutality that it is known as the Rape of the Three Sisters even 2000 years later.

If a Stark wanted vengeance on some pirates that were vexing him, who better than his Bolton vassals to unleash on these enemies. Much like Gregor Clegane is Tywin Lannister's Dog of War, the Boltons could have served a similar terrifyingly useful purpose in the past. Potentially explaining their longevity based on their usefulness to their Stark overlords in times of War.

... Do I want to know why they raise sheep but don't eat them? This being ASOIAF it can't be just for milk and wool if you catch my drift.

Realistically speaking, it doesn't make much sense, IMHO. Cattle, sure, they have a lot of milk, but sheep? You'd have to use their meat to make keeping them worthwhile, IMHO. Wool here or there.

Temmo is mentioned in the books. His khalassar goes up against the Unsullied at Qohor and failed spectacularly. Dhako is new.

Temmo lived after the Doom, but before the Conquest:

(from the wiki for convenience).

Needless to say, Dahko's death occured before the planned sacking of Qohor :)

Oh right, thanks for helping me out. I'm guessing Temmo was kind of like the Dothraki version of either Aegon the Conqueror (though less succesful) or Maegor the Cruel.

I guess the Pink Pavillion has to date from the War between the Starks and the Pirates from the Three Sisters, when the Rape of Sisterton took place 2000 years ago. As Stark vassals the Boltons would have been part of the Northern army that conquered the Three Sisters. In fact, if a Bolton was given command of that army it could explain why the conquest was of such brutality that it is known as the Rape of the Three Sisters even 2000 years later.

If a Stark wanted vengeance on some pirates that were vexing him, who better than his Bolton vassals to unleash on these enemies. Much like Gregor Clegane is Tywin Lannister's Dogof War, the Boltons could have served a similar terrifyingly useful purpose in the past. Potentially explaining their longevity based on their usefulness to their Stark overlords in times of War.

This seems the most reasonable explanation. Although I think that the Bolton's probably only controlled part of the army. Perhaps they were tasked with subduing one island, the same way Stannis had to subdue Great Wyk during the Greyjoy's Rebellion?

Realistically speaking, it doesn't make much sense, IMHO. Cattle, sure, they have a lot of milk, but sheep? You'd have to use their meet to make keeping them worthwhile, IMHO. Wool here or there.

Perhaps the Lhazareen are ASOIAF's vegetarian equivalent to the Welsh? :p (I'm just joking of course)

Free Northman Reborn,

Your theory is perfectly possible, but I imagine that House Bolton's power may have stretched to the south far enough to reach the Sistermen themselves. House Bolton was a royal house that fought the Starks for the dominion of the North, and could easily have dominated the eastern half of the subcontinent at some time.

We know that they owned the Karstark lands, and likely also the Hornwood region (they are very close, and that would give an excuse for Ramsay to incorporate them). It's easy to speculate that they reached much to the south: Widow's Watch is ruled by Flints, and White Harbor by Greystarks/Manderly, all of them Stark bannermen not original to the region that likely have been installed by the Starks to reward them after defeating the former lords, as they did with the Karstarks.

Just a thought.

As I said, the world book does not mention Lhazar at all. Too insignificant and uninteresting from the perspective of Maester Yandel. This partly relates to what he makes of the Slaver's Bay region.

I guess the Dragonstone pic from above is on the dust jacket?

We should also get all the Nasmith pictures of the castles, although I remember first seeing them in 2007 or 2008.

The Pink Pavilion will either turn out to be a references to the Rape of the Sisters, or to another historic skirmish between the North and the Sisters.

The fact that the main series established that the flaying habit has not been practiced openly in the North for quite some time, makes it rather unlikely that the Boltons had any clashes with the Sistermen after the Conquest (although that's not completely impossible, the Sunderlands fought in three Blackfyre Rebellions).

Archived