The Daynes

I'm 99.99% sure GRRM is going to say that the origins of the office of the Sword of the Morning are as misty as the origins of Dawn. ;)

That said, I am a really big fan of House Dayne, so be assured that if there's any Dayne info to be had from GRRM, it will be recieved with pleasure. ;)

If you can, please try to get us a list of the current members and people in charge of House Dayne right now.

With regards to the origin of the SotM -- that would be really cool, but if GRRM does intend to keep it a secret, could we at least find out WHO has the ability to choose a new SotM right now?

Darkstar was denied the SotM -- who vetoed him? I'd like to thank him/them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the noble house dayne

we do not know the name of edric's father, but we surely know that allyria and ashara are edric's aunts and arthur is his uncle.

the names of the 3 daynes' siblings start with the letter A. probably this is more than just a case. i suggest that edric's father's name starts with letter A, but i'm not sure at all.

what about allyria dayne?

she is told to be bethroted to beric dondarrion, but in a passage of the book we know that she's already married with him...

i hope Martin will expalin us more about house dayne in his future works

best house in dorne...their name and stuff isn't very dornish dayne is more...a reach type of house

It will be super if we will have some information on dawn which seems to be the best sword in westros (more then any valyrian blade) and starfall (sounds like an uber castle)

and lets not forget the outer branchs of the family

darkstar's (of high hermitage)

jordayne of tor

and etc

They don't. They have violet eyes like Elizabeth Taylor (who wasn't Valyrian), and their hair tends to ash blonde rather than the silver and gold of the Targaryens. GRRM was asked about this at the Event Horizon Chat a number of years ago, and he indicated that they were not descended from Valyrians. :)

Is the "Sword of the Morning" a title that is passed on or is it the nickname for Arthur Dayne? I never got the impression it was a title so I assumed AD was the only one. I might have missed something though.

Is the "Sword of the Morning" a title that is passed on or is it the nickname for Arthur Dayne? I never got the impression it was a title so I assumed AD was the only one. I might have missed something though.

its a title

one must be worthy to wield dawn to be called TSoM

notice how myrcella asks darkstar if he is now the sword of morning

I think she didn't marry her brother. And had no dragons.

GRRM was asked about this at the Event Horizon Chat a number of years ago, and he indicated that they were not descended from Valyrians.

Still Daynes are awfully close to Valyrians. Violet eyes and the hair maybe not the same but still...how many people do you know that have that appearance?

Correct, there's a constellation of that name. :)

Thanks! I thought so!

I'm going to go out on a limb with this...do you see any connection with the Arthurian legends in the Dayne family? King Arthur was linked to a constellation (two, actually: Ursa, and Bootes), while Arthur Dayne is also linked to one. I think it's very interesting that the sword, Dawn, isn't passed on from father to son but has to be earned, apparently. Is there a test or something that you have to pass to get it? If so, it's similar to the Sword in the Stone story, even though Excalibur/Caliburn/Caledfwlch was not, in the earlier legends, the sword Arthur pulled out.

• 1 year later...
I think she didn't marry her brother. And had no dragons.

Still Daynes are awfully close to Valyrians. Violet eyes and the hair maybe not the same but still...how many people do you know that have that appearance?

I also thought the same regarding the surface resemblences between the Daynes & Targaryens. Perhaps the Daynes are direct descendents of Nymeria's people, who fled the region around Valyria when the Freehold started to expand. If the Valyrians and Nymerians were neighbors it is reasonable to expect some physical or cultural similarities due to trading, intermarriages and other interactions.

There must be a reason why the Daynes are so different, physically, from the other Dornes.

Guest Other-in-law
I also thought the same regarding the surface resemblences between the Daynes & Targaryens. Perhaps the Daynes are direct descendents of Nymeria's people, who fled the region around Valyria when the Freehold started to expand. If the Valyrians and Nymerians were neighbors it is reasonable to expect some physical or cultural similarities due to trading, intermarriages and other interactions.

Nymeria's people were the Rhoynar, and we know what they look like.

Tyrion told us of the three types of Dornishmen, Salty, Sandy, and Stony, the first having the most Rhoynish blood, and the last having the least.

Oberyn Martell, with is raven black hair and dark eyes was a good example of a Salty Dornishman, and the Orphans of the Greenblood are even purer in their Rhoynish heritage. The Daynes are most likely Stony Dornishmen, since they live in the western mountains and have fair hair.

Archived