Bakker XXX: A Dark and Seminal Work

Sci-2

I thought the plan was to visit Bakker while dressed as Inchoroi. The plan stalled, IIRC, b/c the right ingredients for fake black semen - or if black food coloring should just be applied to horse semen - were never agree upon.

I thought the plan was to visit Bakker while dressed as Inchoroi. The plan stalled, IIRC, b/c the right ingredients for fake black semen - or if black food coloring should just be applied to horse semen - were never agree upon.

Just dye some semen you collect in a jar.

Yeesh, this isn't complicated people.

Just dye some semen you collect in a jar.

Yeesh, this isn't complicated people.

I just assumed squirting Bakker with dyed human semen from a fake pendulous phallus might not go over well and may be grounds for legal action on his part.

At least if it's horse semen they can't do a DNA trace so we can all just run, dump our costumes in an alley, and pretend it never happened if Bakker doesn't find a surprise bukake reenactment enjoyable. (Admittedly this might just be an everyday thing in Canada, not familiar with their culture...)

The No-God attempts to reach that same, remembered perfection but cannot. It can only reflect upon reflection upon reflection, trying to reach the perfect View from Nowhere but this in not achievable in linear time. No way for it pierce TDTCB, and so it continually confessed its blindness.

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘blindness’ with regards to TDTCB here? You’re saying that he’s ‘blind’ to more than himself?

The chorae in the Carapace prevent direct magical attacks while the whirlwind prevents physical attacks.

Do we have any examples in the series of Chorae being used to protect something non-living? Like buildings and palaces and so on? Because my understanding - I could be wrong of course - is that it doesn’t work that way. I think the idea that the Chorae on the carapace is there to protect the No-God is a red-herring.

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘blindness’ with regards to TDTCB here? You’re saying that he’s ‘blind’ to more than himself?

Do we have any examples in the series of Chorae being used to protect something non-living? Like buildings and palaces and so on? Because my understanding - I could be wrong of course - is that it doesn’t work that way. I think the idea that the Chorae on the carapace is there to protect the No-God is a red-herring.

Chorae have their effect no matter what. A chorae rolling a few from Achamian is enough to salt him. They don't need to be "activated" or anything.

Chorae have their effect no matter what. A chorae rolling a few from Achamian is enough to salt him. They don't need to be "activated" or anything.
I don't think that has the same argument you think it does. We already know that chorae have an effect on the living - either by the living touching them or them touching another thing.

But what if you put it on an inanimate object? Does it protect this house? Does it protect a tree? Or does it require some kind of living being to be close to?

We know that it does protect Bashrag or sranc, so it's not that you have to have a soul. What we don't know is whether you could protect, say, a siege engine with it.

I always pictured it as a "hole" in reality. Akka mentions feeling the emptiness and the void around them in various places.

In some ways, I think its like Mat's Foxhead medallion in WoT (can't believe I'm comparing these two series in any possible way...). The power won't work directly on the area of the chorae, but you can still drop a big rock on their head or something. So I could blow up the foundation of the house which has a chorae sitting on the roof for example. That's basically how Akka kills the Javreh captain when he is imprisoned by Iyokus.

:dunno:

I always pictured it as a "hole" in reality. Akka mentions feeling the emptiness and the void around them in various places.

But this is only true when it comes to sorcerers,

Achamian could feel it tug at his bowels, as though Geshrunni held an absence rather than a thing, a small pit in the very fabric of the world. - chapter one, TDTCB

‘The fabric of the world’ is the onta. We know that the Few who don’t practice sorcery (Mimara for example) can see the onta, but does the Chorae feel the same way to them as it does to Akka? A pit or an absence in ‘reality’?

But this is only true when it comes to sorcerers,

The fabric of the world is the onta. We know that the Few who dont practice sorcery (Mimara for example) can see the onta, but does the Chorae feel the same way to them as it does to Akka? A pit or an absence in reality?

Mimara described it like that I thought in TJE before she inverts it. Don't recall the exact description.

Prediction: Mimara with an inverted chorae kills or banishes Yatwer in TUC. Just like the wight. Yatwer drags her frame with her.

I don't think that has the same argument you think it does. We already know that chorae have an effect on the living - either by the living touching them or them touching another thing.

But what if you put it on an inanimate object? Does it protect this house? Does it protect a tree? Or does it require some kind of living being to be close to?

We know that it does protect Bashrag or sranc, so it's not that you have to have a soul. What we don't know is whether you could protect, say, a siege engine with it.

Nah, I get the argument. I just don't see the evidence.

I guess it seems fairly obvious to me. The Chorae do what they do. They negate magical subjectivity within a certain field. I mean, they protect the armor/clothing/accouterments of one wearing a Chorae, no? Is that because there's some magical life-link between he who holds a Chorae and the other things he's touching? Doesn't make much sense, otherwise anyone with a Chorae could touch a wall and it wouldn't crumble -- a mechanic I suspect we'd have seen by now.

To me, a Chorae is a metaphysical framing device that happens to use cold, hard reality (the God's Dream, if you want to go there) as its higher frame. Anything that doesn't fall within that circle (I.E. all sorcery) is disenchanted, putting things back in line with "intended" (and I use that word lightly) reality.

Regardless, I don't think they stuck a bunch of Chorae on the Carapace just to fuck with people. They serve some metaphysical purpose. It may not be as simple as protecting the armor from magical attacks, but I don't think they're just a red-herring either.

ETA: I suppose I should I mention the notation of Mimara using the Chorae, though even that gives no credence to the theory at hand. If anything, it supports the opposite: Mimara increased the field of effectiveness from the Chorae, using it to banish "that which should not be" -- in this case, Hell invading the World.

Regardless, I don't think they stuck a bunch of Chorae on the Carapace just to fuck with people. They serve some metaphysical purpose. It may not be as simple as protecting the armor from magical attacks, but I don't think they're just a red-herring either.

My point was that the idea that it's specifically to protect the carapace is a red herring, but I'm sure they serve some important metaphysical purpose.

I’m more puzzled at how anyone even saw the Chorae on the carapace in the first place. It’s a stretch that anyone could’ve gotten close enough to the whirlwind glimpse the carapace itself, let alone to make out (and count) the eleven tiny Chorae embedded in it.

My point was that the idea that it's specifically to protect the carapace is a red herring, but I'm sure they serve some important metaphysical purpose.

I’m more puzzled at how anyone even saw the Chorae on the carapace in the first place. It’s a stretch that anyone could’ve gotten close enough to the whirlwind glimpse the carapace itself, let alone to make out (and count) the eleven tiny Chorae embedded in it.

I have often thought this might be some sort of red herring. No doubt that the Chorae would protect the Carapace from sorcerer attacks - is that just a fortuitous side effect though?

However if the Heron Spear has a role to play it could be the mechanism for destroying the No-God (non sorcerous light).

Archived