What exactly is AAR supposed to do?

Mithras

In addition to lead the men against the “dark” and stand against the “Other”, there are two things that AAR is supposed to do:

“He is the Lord’s chosen, the warrior of fire. I have seen him leading the fight against the dark, I have seen it in the flames. The flames do not lie, else you would not be here. It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”

The first one is “to wake dragons out of stone”, whatever that means.

“In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.”

And the second one is to “clasp” the burning sword that had been drawn from the fire. Note that the warrior who should draw the burning sword from the fire is not necessarily AAR according to the text above.

Therefore, the point of this thread is that there is no clue suggesting that AAR is supposed to forge a sword like AAR and sacrifice Nissa Nissa (and a lion) in the process.

You forgot the water. I'm thinking that's a bastard named Waters or someone associated with the sea (Greyjoy, Redwyne, Salladhor Saan, etc). There's nothing in the original tale of AA that says killing that lion was a sacrifice.

Good point that Mel never mentions AAR forging his own sword. She seems to think Lightbringer still exists, but she knows it isn't Stannis' sword.

However, do you think Mel is right about this? Her track record isn't exactly great. She thinks Stannis is AAR when it seems pretty clear that he isn't. Not sure I would trust her judgment on this.

This is the closest we can get about the actual wording in Mel's sources. I don't think she has any interpretation especially in the bolded parts of the quotes.

In any case, reforging of Lightbringer according to Sallador's tale is not something AAR is supposed to do.

Or if we assume that "waking dragons out of stone" and "clasping the burning sword drawn from the fire" are somehow related to Lightbringer, it still does not make sense that these statements can be applied to a literal sword. And note that drawing the fLightbringer from the fire of the Seven in Dragonstone was what Mel literally orchestrated and it was a farce.

My point exactly. Mel is perpetrating a fraud based either on a total misunderstanding of the prophecy, or an unwillingness to believe that she's wrong.

Why do you think a pirate/smuggler from Lys knows everything about an Asshai'i prophecy? Just because he didn't mention it doesn't mean it's not part of the whole thing.

Actually drawing a burning sword from a fire makes complete and total sense if you're talking about a literal sword, and one with magical properties that allow it to burn without melting. Valyrian Steel may be able to do that, and Dragonbone absolutely can.

Waking dragons from stone is the puzzle here.

It would be nice to get the actual source. Mel could be paraphrasing for all we know. Maybe Sam will find some translations of Asshai'i texts at the Citadel and clear up all of the confusion.

• 1 month later...

Archived