R+L = J v.109

BearQueen87

Jon is named for rhaegars bff jon connington not jon arryn. Lyanna would have chosen a name already and Ned wouldn't have changed it. She had no connection with jon arryn so there's no reason other then him being Rhaegar son that his name is jon. And what could the promise Ned made her be if not to keep her son safe? This is one of the easier theories to believe.

Jon is named for rhaegars bff jon connington not jon arryn. Lyanna would have chosen a name already and Ned wouldn't have changed it. She had no connection with jon arryn so there's no reason other then him being Rhaegar son that his name is jon. And what could the promise Ned made her be if not to keep her son safe? This is one of the easier theories to believe.

1) Jon Connington was not Rhaegars bff. No matter how close a friend JonCon believes he was to Rhaegar, there weer plenty closer to the prince. Arthur Dayne, for example.

2) GRRM said specifically that Ned named Jon

1) Jon Connington was not Rhaegars bff. No matter how close a friend JonCon believes he was to Rhaegar, there weer plenty closer to the prince. Arthur Dayne, for example.

2) GRRM said specifically that Ned named Jon

True, on both counts. But that does not exclude the possibility that...

1) Rhaegar may have been Connington's bff; and

2) Lyanna may also have named Jon.

(Food for thought.)

(Food for thought.)

So your theory is that Lyanna named her son after a guy who wanted to fuck her boyfriend, and then Ned coincidentally gave him the same name?

(Food for thought.)

1) we don't know how close Rhaegar and JonCon were. But Arthur Dayne has been stated specifically to have been Rhaegars best friend. If Rhaegar was going to name his son after a friend (which also has the need for Rhaegar to believe he would be having a son in the first place), why not name him after your best friend?

2) if Lyanna named Jon Jon, there would be no need for Ned to name him Jon, as his name would already be Jon, now would there?

(Food for thought.)

If (big if IMO) Lyanna also named him Jon then I don't think it was for JonCon, but for Jon Stark, King in the North.

However, I'm on team "she named him Aemon" if she named him anything.

So your theory is that Lyanna named her son after a guy who wanted to fuck her boyfriend, and then Ned coincidentally gave him the same name?

No, it's not a theory. It's only a possibility. I'd say there's "room in the text." :)

2) if Lyanna named Jon Jon, there would be no need for Ned to name him Jon, as his name would already be Jon, now would there?

Now that's a decent point. Though, on the other hand, it would have made Ned's decision much easier.

Lyanna: "Ned, his name is Jon. Promise me you're not going to change his name after I die."

Ned: "Oh come on... would I do that? Why would I do that? Jon is a wonderful name. So, um... original! And... creative..."

Lyanna: "Ned, you better fucking promise me. Do it now. Promise me, Ned..."

If (big if IMO) Lyanna also named him Jon then I don't think it was for JonCon, but for Jon Stark, King in the North.

However, I'm on team "she named him Aemon" if she named him anything.

I do like the idea that "Jon Snow" is not his true name. Actually, it's intriguing to think that his "true name" might never be known. It would tie in rather well with the theme and motif of namelessness that Martin weaves into this story... (see: the old gods, the Unsullied, etc). And it's an idea that puts me in mind of Susanna Clarke's John Uskglass, the "nameless slave" who grew to become the Raven King (aka, the Black King, the King of the North).

Doesn't Jon seem more like a garnet than a ruby? I'd even say a carbuncle, perhaps. What would the Elder Brother do, if he ended up with six rubies and a carbuncle? Would he view the set as complete?

No takers on the Jon Snow / Garnet idea, eh? What's the difference between a ruby and a garnet in Westeros, anyway? There definitely seems to be one. "Garnets lack the fire," according to Lord Tywin... and when LC Mormont has a new hilt made for Longclaw, the snarling wolf's head pommel is set with "chips of garnet" for eyes. Later, when Jon reunites with Ghost just before he's chosen as lord commander, he notes that Ghost's eyes are red - but not like Melisandre's (she of the nightfires and rubies). Instead, Ghost's eyes are the blood red of the weirwood faces and the old gods...

No takers on the Jon Snow / Garnet idea, eh? What's the difference between a ruby and a garnet in Westeros, anyway? There definitely seems to be one. "Garnets lack the fire," according to Lord Tywin... and when LC Mormont has a new hilt made for Longclaw, the snarling wolf's head pommel is set with "chips of garnet" for eyes. Later, when Jon reunites with Ghost just before he's chosen as lord commander, he notes that Ghost's eyes are red - but not like Melisandre's (she of the nightfires and rubies). Instead, Ghost's eyes are the blood red of the weirwood faces and the old gods...

Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure what the difference is; I know there is a difference compositionally, but to me, they are both red, shiny, and pretty. Jon might be a "garnet" somehow, but all of Rhaegar's rubies were rubies.

Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure what the difference is; I know there is a difference compositionally, but to me, they are both red, shiny, and pretty. Jon might be a "garnet" somehow, but all of Rhaegar's rubies were rubies.

The wolf pommel on Longclaw has garnet eyes. That's because the wolf, representing Jon's Stark side, lacks fire. As per Tywin's quote.

Since garnet is my birthstone, Im partial, but would it not be part of the same family?

Could be. But Martin does seem to emphasize the distinction, rather than the similarity. Of course, every now and then, I think Martin is just riffing on root words, etymologies, and related images... and I do see that with the garnet, in particular. Garnet, and granite... pommels and pomegranates... apples, seeds, and "seeded apples". It could get interesting if you also consider the word carbuncle... which is an archaic word for a red garnet, and can also be traced back to the Latin word for "little coal," charcoal, or (perhaps) ember. Do embers "lack fire?" Maybe they do...

Because there are so many threads on this subject and they're all meaty, I'll ask:

Has it been discussed whether or not Melisandre knows R+L=J and, (since I assume the answer is yes), what's the general consensus on the subject?

(I'm basing this on her shadowbaby comments made to Jon in ADWD.)

Because there are so many threads on this subject and they're all meaty, I'll ask:

Has it been discussed whether or not Melisandre knows R+L=J and, (since I assume the answer is yes), what's the general consensus on the subject?

(I'm basing this on her shadowbaby comments made to Jon in ADWD.)

I think Mel sees Jon as a very powerful ally; I think she detects strong magic in him. But if she had any suspicions that he was TPTWP by virtue of RLJ, I think we'd see her doubting Stannis more. At this point, I think Jon could have a flashing neon sign over his head saying "I am TPTWP" and Mel still wouldn't get it.

What makes you think she does know? (can't remember the passage you're referring to)

It's when she sort of steals Ghost and then tells Jon there's power in him and he should use it, that she'll teach him and when he asks how she says something about mating and what power could come from their coupling... then discusses shadows and what a big one he casts.

I see that as a pet clear reference to shadowbaby making. I don't recall my shadowbaby lore well enough to know if that means she thinks he has kings blood because shadowbabies can only come from kings blood ... or if any man can potentially produce a shadow baby and she sees him as powerful so she wants to make one with him.

Archived