What do you think will happen to Stannis after The Battle For Winterfell?

DeathYon

Winterfell will cost both sides. The victors won't feel like they've won. It'll be like that.

Roose or Ramsay will be defeated while the other will be broken. Perhaps Theon gets to have his revenge on Ramsay, which would be poetic after all.

Stannis is going to find it difficult to return north, to The Wall. Winter is coming? Is it already here? He needs to form alliances to face what everyone knows is on its way. He definitely needs time to re-group his forces. How will he react when news reaches him of Aegon (fake or real) arriving? Without any doubt, everyone in Winterfell and the area will be battle weary. That doesn't mean they're not up for a fight.

Perhaps Stannis receives serious wounds. He can't get through a tough battle unscathed. He may even become disillusioned with Mel when his mighty sword proves to be no better than a stick. Winterfell looks a better prospect for Stannis to stay and gather his thoughts and his troops.

Everyone will have to prepare for what's to come.

What's happened to Nymeria? It could be time for her to make a grand appearance. If Arya is having another wolf-dream at the time, perhaps Nymeria goes after Roose. Maybe this is where The Freys meet their end when Nymeria takes revenge for her brother, Grey Wind?

The sighting of this growing band of wolves, lead by a direwolf could be a sign. If anything, people love signs. There's snow around too.

"Snow! Snow! Snow!" sayeth the raven.

If Stannis is seriously wounded, and on his last legs, has he given instruction of who should lead whatever forces he commands? Perhaps, after seeing this large group of wolves, Stannis takes it as a prompt to pass command over to.....?

I fancy Rickon taking charge of Winterfell once more. Stannis knows there's a good man in Davos. He'd be the most likely candidate to act as Regent while Rickon grows up some more. There must be a Stark in Winterfell, goes the saying (roughly). That will be Stannis' final act and what he'll be remembered for.

Stannis Baratheon - RIP

The King Who Bent The Knee To The Boy.

Winterfell will cost both sides. The victors won't feel like they've won. It'll be like that.

Roose or Ramsay will be defeated while the other will be broken. Perhaps Theon gets to have his revenge on Ramsay, which would be poetic after all.

Stannis is going to find it difficult to return north, to The Wall. Winter is coming? Is it already here? He needs to form alliances to face what everyone knows is on its way. He definitely needs time to re-group his forces. How will he react when news reaches him of Aegon (fake or real) arriving? Without any doubt, everyone in Winterfell and the area will be battle weary. That doesn't mean they're not up for a fight.

Perhaps Stannis receives serious wounds. He can't get through a tough battle unscathed. He may even become disillusioned with Mel when his mighty sword proves to be no better than a stick. Winterfell looks a better prospect for Stannis to stay and gather his thoughts and his troops.

Everyone will have to prepare for what's to come.

What's happened to Nymeria? It could be time for her to make a grand appearance. If Arya is having another wolf-dream at the time, perhaps Nymeria goes after Roose. Maybe this is where The Freys meet their end when Nymeria takes revenge for her brother, Grey Wind?

The sighting of this growing band of wolves, lead by a direwolf could be a sign. If anything, people love signs. There's snow around too.

"Snow! Snow! Snow!" sayeth the raven.

If Stannis is seriously wounded, and on his last legs, has he given instruction of who should lead whatever forces he commands? Perhaps, after seeing this large group of wolves, Stannis takes it as a prompt to pass command over to.....?

I fancy Rickon taking charge of Winterfell once more. Stannis knows there's a good man in Davos. He'd be the most likely candidate to act as Regent while Rickon grows up some more. There must be a Stark in Winterfell, goes the saying (roughly). That will be Stannis' final act and what he'll be remembered for.

Stannis Baratheon - RIP

The King Who Bent The Knee To The Boy.

I'd say you're right about it not going particularly well for anyone.

If Stannis does survive the battle, he's going to be pissed when he realizes he can't go back North. I think that he will be stuck in Winterfell for quite some time. It makes sense though, because he can then wait for Rickon and Davos to arrive.

It was snowing in KL during Kevan's chapter, so I'm going to assume that it's winter now.

I honestly don't remember where Nymeria was last seen but she may make an appearance during the BoW. Maybe she's headed there right now?

I like the idea of Stannis passing the command over to Rickon + Davos, but what does that mean for himself? A suicide mission North or South?

Maybe the old title 'a time for wolves' was a Stannis quote? Something like, "the wolves saved us, and Rickon Stark must do that again now, for it is the time for wolves" except way cooler.

He won't die in battle. One, he had a vision of his crown burning him into ash, and two, Dany needs to slay either him, or the idea that he's Azor Ahai, both of which will be fairly hard if he's already dead in a snow pile hundreds of pages before she reaches the continent.

For the Battle of Ice, he seems slated to win. What we know:

- During the march some of his men fell through the ice of a concealed pond. Everyone who did drowned or died due to the cold, and some who tried to rescue them died as well. Stannis knows the danger of concealed ice.

- His initial plan upon arriving at the crofters village was to continue marching, but this changed overnight for reasons unknown.

- He keeps a beacon fire burning atop the village tower day and night, and he isn't expecting the arrival of any allies.

- Even once the fish have been fished out, he remains camped at the village and still has people cutting holes.

- When questioned by Theon, he gives his enigmatic "yet" in response to the suggestion that the village has no natural defenses.

- He is unfazed that the enemy will be better fed and horsed.

- He is glad that his foe Hosteen is stupid and angry.

imo He intends to lure the enemy to his position with the beacon fire. Then, the seemingly angry and stupid Hosteen will charge his cavalry across the convenient fields either side of the village, across the weakened, hidden ice lakes. The ice collapses and Stannis wins.

For the Battle of Winterfell it's harder to say given it hinges on how this first battle pans out. However, we know that Stannis has uncovered the Karstark plot, captured the maesters ravens, and is now capable of feeding the Boltons misinformation. I imagine he'll use the ravens to give Roose an incorrect account of what happened, likely to have him expecting that Stannis is dead and the main trouble is averted. He could potentially use the captured Karstarks and their uniforms to get men inside Winterfell, or hand over his sword, something along those lines. Incidentally I expect this is why Ramsay has such bogus information in his letter, he didn't really win, the 'Karstarks' just told him he did.

After winning Winterfell, I expect he'd want to sort out the trouble at the Wall, save his family and Melisandre if they need it, rebuild and man all the castles like he originally intended, and make the most use of his blank Iron Bank cheque. I do think he'll go south eventually, but that's just me.

Archived