Family Trees

Phoenix555

A Targaryen tree is almost certain. Anything else is up to what GRRM has on hand and what he has time to develop. :)

Will it be a complete tree or a partial one like what we get at the Tower of the Hand, where if its mentioned Aegon had two sons then only two children are listed even though we later find out he had 3 daughters (just an example).

Will it be a complete tree or a partial one like what we get at the Tower of the Hand, where if its mentioned Aegon had two sons then only two children are listed even though we later find out he had 3 daughters (just an example).

Do we know for a fact he only had two sons? I know that after Baelor died, Viserys (Baelor's uncle) took the throne - which implies no LIVING sons of Aegon III remainded at that time. BUt Viserys could have always got rid of any other heirs to gain the throne himself.

However, in the back of Game of Thornes (admittedly not the most reliable source of info, as several pieces of info therein have been retconned) ISTR that Daeron is described as ELDEST son of Aegon. "Eldest" implies at least two others, otherwise you would say "elder". Of course "eldest" could just mean "eldest child who was a son".

It is this kind of niggling little detail that could be clarified once and for all by a complete, definitive Targaryen tree.

Aratan

Do we know for a fact he only had two sons? I know that after Baelor died, Viserys (Baelor's uncle) took the throne - which implies no LIVING sons of Aegon III remainded at that time. BUt Viserys could have always got rid of any other heirs to gain the throne himself.

That's where you gotta step back and read that was just an example ;) i wasn't using a specific Aegon just that name because there's so many to make a point.

• 5 months later...

Having seen the Family Tree thing HappyEnt made on Purpose Games, I definitely hope for at least a complete Targaryen family tree stretching back to Aegon I.

Other families would be welcome, although I understand that GRRM may not have made provisions for such detail as with the Targaryens, since they were the ruling house. The Starks have some rich history, though, with Brandon the Builder, Brandon the Burner, The King Who Knelt etc. I'd like to see, if not a detailed family tree, some mini-stories on the more memorable members of the ancestry of each of the Great Houses.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is the thing I'm looking forward to most!

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to make up family trees for the major houses (Stark, Tully, Arryn, Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryen, Tyrell, Martell & Greyjoy) from the time of Aegon's Conquest to the 'present'. Anything before the conquest would be a bit far and almost half those houses didn't come into 'Great House' status until then anyway...

That's my two groats worth.... :)

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is the thing I'm looking forward to most!

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to make up family trees for the major houses (Stark, Tully, Arryn, Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryen, Tyrell, Martell & Greyjoy) from the time of Aegon's Conquest to the 'present'. Anything before the conquest would be a bit far and almost half those houses didn't come into 'Great House' status until then anyway...

That's my two groats worth.... :)

I agree with this. We know the name of the Lord of each great house during the conquest (minus whatever Arryn and Martell were in charge), and I think it would patch a lot up timeline wise, to give us a better picture of what happened when.

The Starks have some rich history, though, with Brandon the Builder, Brandon the Burner, The King Who Knelt etc.

I once read somewhere that the Karstarks of Karhold are distantly related to the Starks through a common ancestor. I think it would be interesting to see how each of the major high-born families are related to any of their bannermen houses and how one came to rule over the other vs. the other way around. (like how/why the Starks are placed above the Karstarks in the hierarchy).

I once read somewhere that the Karstarks of Karhold are distantly related to the Starks through a common ancestor. I think it would be interesting to see how each of the major high-born families are related to any of their bannermen houses and how one came to rule over the other vs. the other way around. (like how/why the Starks are placed above the Karstarks in the hierarchy).

In regards to the Karstarks, the Karstarks were founded as a cadet branch of House Stark after Karlon Stark put down a rebellion by House Bolton about a thousand years ago, or something if I remember.

Archived