What makes you the most uncomfortable when you read ASOIAF?

DeathYon

Personally, I liked the fourth and fifth novels, but they're definitely not perfect.

I agree that there's a bit too much coverage of the less interesting characters.

I think that TWOW should fix this though. There's going to be so much great stuff going on.

4 and 5 definitely are perfect actually.

it bothers me that in a fictional universe women are pretty degraded & often the victims of sexual violence. grrm is sometimes good at writing strong female characters but they still encounter real world type sexualized violence which I hate reading.

Weasel has bothered me for years. Being a parent merely heightened how much it disturbed me upon one of my multiple rereads.

For those who can't place her, Weasel is the crying toddler who clings to Arya's leg when they are trekking through the war torn Riverlands. The last we see of Weasel she disappears alone into the woods I think, fleeing the Mountain's men.

That's a 2-3 year old girl who lost her parents to brutality and latched onto Arya - another orphaned child - in an instinctive attempt to find a protector, and the safety that parents should provide.

That haunts me more than all the gratuitous descriptions of violence, rape and other acts of brutality. The idea of a terrified child, separated from its parents, alone and desperate.

The obvious things bother me, really - the rapes, the torture, the incest, the forced marriages and the genital mutilation. There are certain characters I want to meet a horrible end in WoW for carrying out some, or all, of these acts.

Weasel has bothered me for years. Being a parent merely heightened how much it disturbed me upon one of my multiple rereads.

For those who can't place her, Weasel is the crying toddler who clings to Arya's leg when they are trekking through the war torn Riverlands. The last we see of Weasel she disappears alone into the woods I think, fleeing the Mountain's men.

That's a 2-3 year old girl who lost her parents to brutality and latched onto Arya - another orphaned child - in an instinctive attempt to find a protector, and the safety that parents should provide.

That haunts me more than all the gratuitous descriptions of violence, rape and other acts of brutality. The idea of a terrified child, separated from its parents, alone and desperate.

Still gives me chills.

it bothers me that in a fictional universe women are pretty degraded & often the victims of sexual violence. grrm is sometimes good at writing strong female characters but they still encounter real world type sexualized violence which I hate reading.

Well, I agree that women are often degraded and victims of sexual violence and stuff. But we also need to see the story in perspective of time, it's in a medieval place, and in real medieval times, women were treated much the same as they are in Westeros. It stil happens in some parts of the world, and that's bothering me more than reading about those women.

Things I was uncomfortable with:

- The Jeyne/Ramsay/Theon scene

- Jaime in aSoS when he is riding through the Riverlands with his cut of hand around his neck

- The Mercy chapter

- The guy at Moat Cailin who was really sick (and Reek has to kill him to end his suffering)

- The death of Lommy

- All Sansa and Littlefinger scenes

Definitely a lot of the rape scenes bother me. For instance, Chiswyk's story bothered me a great deal. Glad Arya had his ass snuffed out. Also, the scene with Jeyne Pool, Theon, and Ramsey Bolton was very disgusting. And the brutality towards children is bothersome too.

Some of the brutality just seems needlessly excessive. Like the rape of the girl at Salt Pans. Not only was she raped but Rorge's armor tore her body to shreds in the process (or Biter devoured her). I forgot how old she was... 12 or younger, I think. Which makes it all worse.

Or the story of the septa having her breasts eaten while Biter raping her. I get it, I get it, the world is hard and cruel but holy hell, who thinks of this stuff?

Archived