What makes you the most uncomfortable when you read ASOIAF?

DeathYon

I don't recall that part? I recall his daughter sitting with Euron, sort of lording it over her father while the rest of the women were made to serve naked. Don't recall the rape.

You're right. I just reread the chapter. They didn't rape the girls, they made them get naked and serve them. Still fucked up.

Weasel has bothered me for years. Being a parent merely heightened how much it disturbed me upon one of my multiple rereads.

For those who can't place her, Weasel is the crying toddler who clings to Arya's leg when they are trekking through the war torn Riverlands. The last we see of Weasel she disappears alone into the woods I think, fleeing the Mountain's men.

That's a 2-3 year old girl who lost her parents to brutality and latched onto Arya - another orphaned child - in an instinctive attempt to find a protector, and the safety that parents should provide.

That haunts me more than all the gratuitous descriptions of violence, rape and other acts of brutality. The idea of a terrified child, separated from its parents, alone and desperate.

As a new parent I can't even read that book anymore

You're right. I just reread the chapter. They didn't rape the girls, they made them get naked and serve them. Still fucked up.

No, at least one of them was raped.

“Outside the sun went down. Darkness gathered beyond the walls, but inside the torches burned with a ruddy orange glow, and their smoke gathered under the rafters like a grey cloud. Drunken men began to dance the finger dance. At some point Left-Hand Lucas Codd decided he wanted one of Lord Hewett’s daughters, so he took her on a table whilst her sisters screamed and sobbed.”

Not knowing who is going to die next.

I read with the utmost urgency, vexed by all detail because I'm always in a terror that some of the main characters could die in any minute. On rereading I notice that I miss in this way more than half if the story itself

And each book is worse..

When I picture GRRM narrating one of the sex scenes to me. :bawl:

Oh man, where do I sign up? :drool:

In all honesty we got to see GRRM reading a sample from tPatQ last year before it was released and when he read "her little cunny" an electric jolt squirmed all the way up my spine... not sure if it was a good one or a bad one, but it did nonetheless. :blushing:

Oh man, where do I sign up? :drool:

In all honesty we got to see GRRM reading a sample from tPatQ last year before it was released and when he read "her little cunny" an electric jolt squirmed all the way up my spine... not sure if it was a good one or a bad one, but it did nonetheless. :blushing:

Oh god no. Nononono. I feel weird just thinking about that scenario

Not knowing who is going to die next.

I read with the utmost urgency, vexed by all detail because I'm always in a terror that some of the main characters could die in any minute. On rereading I notice that I miss in this way more than half if the story itself

And each book is worse..

I have the same problem. Gotta slow my roll. lol

Dany sex with drogo - too much description

I found it sexy, just don't like the idea of GRRM reading it to me.

I thought I was gonna be first to say Biter eating Brienne. Ugh, that's by far the worst.

Also Dany's sex scenes in AGoT, Theon's internal panic attacks while near Ramsay throughout ADwD and Lady Stokeworth's screams in the Red Keep while being experimented on by Qyburn.

I feel like I am most uncomfortable by Ser Pounce and knowing I'll never get to pet him ; ;

I do find it interesting that with deaths/enslavement by the thousands, it's the aspect of sex that makes many the most uncomfortable.

Does it have to do with how it's written or just the subject matter in general?

I feel like I am most uncomfortable by Ser Pounce and knowing I'll never get to pet him ; ;

I do find it interesting that with deaths/enslavement by the thousands, it's the aspect of sex that makes many the most uncomfortable.

Does it have to do with how it's written or just the subject matter in general?

I think it's the result of :

- this amount of rapes and sexual perversion in general being unusual in fantasy (unlike war/deaths or even torture or slavery) ; there are a few modern fantasy series involving rapes / child abuse (Livership Traders and other Hobb series come to mind) but it's far to be as common as in Westeros, and characters the reader is the more likely to root for clearly adhere to modern morality and consider them terrible crimes (while only a few individuals look really shocked by the issue in asoiaf, most being more like "uh these things happen"')

- in addition to the extremely numerous clear and violent rapes we hear about (usually in second hand stories), we get to be voyeurs in many rapey sex scenes, be them rape fantasy roleplaying (Asha), forced wedding first nights, Cersei repeating "no" to Jaime, etc... and with the PoV system we get to identify with many characters involved. And even things that don't look like forced sex in first read can often be qualified as abusive if you think more about them (see the "Has Ygritte raped Jon" thread for example, all the under-age with far older character sex arranged weddings imply, recent debate about Summer Islanders religion favoring child prostitution, etc...)

- slavery on the other hand is presented in asoiaf as something only alien cultures do, nearly all PoV are from Westeros and find it clearly unacceptable, and we see Essos slaver states through their eyes as barbaric cultures, especially as slavers are often in the over the top evil characters category, so we don't get to identify much with them

Archived