Jon, (f?)Aegon, and Dany. Who bends the knee to whom?

Robb_Warged

There are a ton of factors here; is Aegon real? Does R&L=J? If they do = J will it become widespread Westerosi knowledge or a truth that only the reader learns? Were R&L married?

I'll let you play around with the factors as you see fit. I just want to know, what do you think will happen between these three. Or two if you don't think R&L='s J

Jon, The king who rose.

Tormund said he will never be a kneeler again, so it is known.

There will be no kneeling from these 3. Jon & Dany might work together, but it would be a mutual arrangement.

Aegon might have kneeled for Dany before landing in Westeros, but now, he's got the Targ(Blackfyre) pride.

I think fAegon will die before bending the knee. Dany will eventually bend the knee to Jon. But Jon...Jon will bend the knee to the realm and take up the crown when he is chosen, not because he wants it but because it's his duty.

Aegon is the senior - if he bends the knee to anyone, that comes pretty close to confirming that he's fAegon.

Dany is last. We have already been given reason to believe that she will submit to a superior Targaryen claim, but I certainly wouldn't expect her to do so without evidence.

Aegon definitely needs evidence. He comes out of nowhere with no verifiable story. I don't see any reason that anybody should believe him; really, the only good reasons readers have to believe him is that Connington believes - but Connington's rep has been trashed, plus he's dying (whether quickly or slowly, we don't really know).

It's not inconceivable that we could get right up to the end of the story, even past the climax, or even past Jon's death, without finding out about Jon's claim. It would be an ultimate irony if Jon plays a great heroic role in the war against the others, giving his life to win, and only then does everybody find out he was the rightful king all along.

But assuming everybody is who they say they are, and it all gets proven? Aegon is the King, and I see nothing in either Jon's or Dany's character to make me think they would fight their brother/nephew.

Well, if Aegon is real, then he has the best claim to the Throne, but Dany has the best chance of taking the Throne (3 dragons). I don't think Dany, who has spent years believing that she will one day be Queen, would just stop in her ambitions because her nephew is the rightful heir.

Jon also has a better claim than Dany, but doesn't seem to want the Throne. He wants Winterfell, but he knows that he's not going to give in to his desires when his duty commands he never hold lands.

So, Aegon vs Dany, Jon will sit it out and focus on defending the North from the Others.

Well, if Aegon is real, then he has the best claim to the Throne, but Dany has the best chance of taking the Throne (3 dragons). I don't think Dany, who has spent years believing that she will one day be Queen, would just stop in her ambitions because her nephew is the rightful heir.

-> snip

But she was in that position before, when she had already demonstrated that she was in a position of superior power relative to Viserys. She was the Khal's favorite, he was the much-despised "Cart King" who Jorah had said was "lower than a snake," so he really had no friends or supporters at all except for her. Yet she told Jorah that Viserys could have her dragon eggs if he wanted them because he was her King.

That seems directly applicable here. It's certainly possible that Dany will do a 180 and be different the next time, but that would be a character inconsistency so it's probably not that likely. Martin probably wouldn't have written that scene if he had meant to contradict it later.

I don't think fAegon will bend the knee to anyone. I don't think Dany will bend the knee to Aegon, but I think she will to Jon when R+L=J is revealed.

A stone turned under her foot. She [Dany] stumbled to one knee and cried out in pain

Stones are used for hiding things (Rickon on Skagos meaning "stone" in the Old Tongue, Sansa hiding under the alias "Alayne Stone," Arya hiding Needle under a stone step, stony-faced men hiding their emotions and a coin hidden under a loose stone) a stone turning could point to a secret being revealed. The phrase "under one's foot" means someone is near you in a way that is difficult and prevents you from doing what you want to do. The stone turned causes to Dany to go to one knee, the action one performs to acknowledge fealty to a king. I think this foreshadows the reveal of R+L=J, or Jon's hidden heritage/identity, to Dany. Jon is near her as her nephew by Rhaegar, which prevents her from doing what she wants to do, sit the IT and rule as Queen. Going to one knee could foreshadow her kneeling to Jon in submission, acknowledging him as king. Her crying out in pain is likely a clue to her reaction to the event.

Jon has shown zero interest in becoming a king and he's a very honor-bound man like his father. I can't see him doing something as bold as opposing the ruler.

And I feel like the purpose of introducing Aegon into the story is to give readers a clue what would have happened to Dany if she had sailed to Westeros (as we all hoped) and become a pawn for the bigger players, mostly Varys. Aegon is a spider's pawn and there are too many clues about a mummer's dragon and prophecies of "slayer of lies" to ignore. Aegon will die a brutal death so that GRRM can make the point that Dany couldn't have been more right than to stay away from Westeros and build her base in Essos instead. That's how she's less reliable to the forces in Westeros, unlike Aegon.

In other word, no one bends a knee.

I don't think fAegon will bend the knee to anyone. I don't think Dany will bend the knee to Aegon, but I think she will to Jon when R+L=J is revealed.

A stone turned under her foot. She [Dany] stumbled to one knee and cried out in pain

Stones are used for hiding things (Rickon on Skagos meaning "stone" in the Old Tongue, Sansa hiding under the alias "Alayne Stone," Arya hiding Needle under a stone step, stony-faced men hiding their emotions and a coin hidden under a loose stone) a stone turning could point to a secret being revealed. The phrase "under one's foot" means someone is near you in a way that is difficult and prevents you from doing what you want to do. The stone turned causes to Dany to go to one knee, the action one performs to acknowledge fealty to a king. I think this foreshadows the reveal of R+L=J, or Jon's hidden heritage/identity, to Dany. Jon is near her as her nephew by Rhaegar, which prevents her from doing what she wants to do, sit the IT and rule as Queen. Going to one knee could foreshadow her kneeling to Jon in submission, acknowledging him as king. Her crying out in pain is likely a clue to her reaction to the event.

If that whole stone thing turns out to be true and actually intended by Martin I will be very impressed that you spotted it lol

Why would any of them bend the knee? Not one of them has a shred of a legit claim to the throne anymore, it belongs to the "baratherons".

According to your own logic, the Baratheons never had any claim themselves and are simply usurping the throne untll they arrive. That's kinda the problem with the whole " my claim is the right one" sort of thing

Archived