The Doom of Valyria- Any Chance?

Blue Roses

We know that there are surviving Valyrians - Volantys and Lys are full of them, no? The question is why none of the other dragon-owning families survived. One would have thought that there would be a few dragons stationed throughout Essos on a routine basis, to maintain order, etc. Why that wasn't the case during the Doom is intriguing indeed.

I think the Targs may have smuggled some dragon eggs out of Valyria into their exile at Dragonstone. The Valyrians may have kept their dragons close at hand. Empires could be conquered by dragons, but not ruled by them. The Valyrians could simply place their soldiers at cities and posts to maintain order while dragons would be more cumbersome with the risk of collateral damage.

i have just read a dance with dragons and up to there the books spoke about a catastrophe occurred in the ancient valyria but they didn't spoke about anprecise and specific event. of course , this even is attached whit the magic in the book ; in my opinion this event is of vulcanic tipe . (i'm very sorry for my so bad english)

I don't go with volcanic eruptions or simular. I think The Doom. the season, The Long Night and sorts are clearly magical. The Others first appeared during The Long Night, so they bring the cold. And as the Others symbolize ice, Dragons symbolize fire. In Valyria were many Dragons, perhaps too many and they went crazy and destroyed everything including themselves. Furthermore we have the Children and giants, who represent earth. The Children shattered the Stepstone, so the Dragons could've been capable of destroying Valyria. I don't know how sentient Dragons are, but I assume not much. The just went crazy. Its said that no one could handling magic safely, neither the valyrians. So the SoIaF is just the turn of the seasons. If one side becomes to powerful a catastrophe will happen and the seasons will go extreme.

We know that there are surviving Valyrians - Volantys and Lys are full of them, no? The question is why none of the other dragon-owning families survived. One would have thought that there would be a few dragons stationed throughout Essos on a routine basis, to maintain order, etc. Why that wasn't the case during the Doom is intriguing indeed.

Yes, but they're living like "normal people", no magic, no dragons, no nothing. We know that there's a Valyrian structure in Volantis, and no-one is allowed in there but the ruling families of the city, so there could be a clue right there.

A metor could certainly have simply passed by the world, and caused a perturbed orbit or skewed the axial tilt. It need not have directly hit the planet.

Hmm, perhaps the Bleeding Star came much closer.

• 2 months later...

"A dull red glow lit the sky to the northeast, the color of a blood bruise."

"“The sky is always red above Valyria, Hugor Hill.”"

"“So those are fires of the Fourteen Flames we’re seeing, reflected on the clouds?”

“Fourteen or fourteen thousand. What man dares count them? It is not wise for mortals to look too deeply at those fires, my friend. Those are the fires of god’s own wrath, and no human flame can match them."

"Valyria. It was written that on the day of Doom every hill for five hundred miles had split asunder to fill the air with ash and smoke and fire, blazes so hot and hungry that even the dragons in the sky were engulfed and consumed. Great rents had opened in the earth, swallowing palaces, temples, entire towns. Lakes boiled or turned to acid, mountains burst, fiery fountains spewed molten rock a thousand feet into the air, red clouds rained down dragonglass and the black blood of demons, and to the north the ground splintered and collapsed and fell in on itself and an angry sea came rushing in."

I'd like it to be Red Rahloo's wrath. The irony of wielding the best weapon of the fire camp, Building the biggest empire known of man on "Fire & Blood & CAPSLOCK", and then dying because of said fire, is just too much for me to not be conviced.

And Jaqen do talk about the Red God of fire. You can tied it up with the FM gift theory.

GRRM has said he would like to write stand alone novels based in the world asoiaf is set in once he has finished Game of thrones so hopefully he could write a whole novel based around the events leading up to the Doom , at least I hope he does.

I think the Targs may have smuggled some dragon eggs out of Valyria into their exile at Dragonstone. The Valyrians may have kept their dragons close at hand. Empires could be conquered by dragons, but not ruled by them. The Valyrians could simply place their soldiers at cities and posts to maintain order while dragons would be more cumbersome with the risk of collateral damage.

Some Targayren girl called Daenerys had prophetic dreams about the Doom, and her dad took all the family (and their five dragons) to Dragonstone. Four of the five original dragons died, leaving only Balerion, but they managed to hatch two eggs (or maybe Balerion hatched them; it may have even self-impregnated itself, being hermaphroditic and such...).

The interesting thing is, the Doom killed even the dragons at Dragonstone, so it wasn't a mere volcanic eruption.

Some Targayren girl called Daenerys had prophetic dreams about the Doom, and her dad took all the family (and their five dragons) to Dragonstone. Four of the five original dragons died, leaving only Balerion, but they managed to hatch two eggs (or maybe Balerion hatched them; it may have even self-impregnated itself, being hermaphroditic and such...).

The interesting thing is, the Doom killed even the dragons at Dragonstone, so it wasn't a mere volcanic eruption.

I know; as for Balerion impregnating himself, dragons are said to change sex not be both sexes at the same time, hermaphrodites.

I started this thread six years ago to the day and we now know the Doom involved earthquakes and volcanoes and happened in a single night. In six years time we might know what caused it!

This seems logical and it seem like this volcanic event is ongoing. One thing that is odd to me that there is no mention of earthquakes in Westeros. They have many structures that have stood for thousnads of years but there is never any mention of them being destroyed or even damged by a shaking of the Earth at least as far as we have seen. There is what happened with the Broken Arm but that was magic.

No the Doom didn't kill the dragons on Dragonstone. The Targs and their dragons survived b/c they werent on Valyria. The next family of dragons came from those dragons.

No the Doom didn't kill the dragons on Dragonstone. The Targs and their dragons survived b/c they werent on Valyria. The next family of dragons came from those dragons.

The Targayren had five dragons, and only one survived (GRRM explicitly said "the other four dragons died at Dragonstone"). The Targayrens didn't start their wars of conquest until a hundred years after the Doom, so those four dragons which died probably weren't killed by dragonslayers.

So, unless all those four dragons were really, really old, I can't understand how come they died during the next century (and if they were really that old, how come the Targayren didn't start the conquest earlier? If the four dragons were really old they had to be the size of houses, like Balerion during the Conquest).

The Targayren had five dragons, and only one survived (GRRM explicitly said "the other four dragons died at Dragonstone"). The Targayrens didn't start their wars of conquest until a hundred years after the Doom, so those four dragons which died probably weren't killed by dragonslayers.

So, unless all those four dragons were really, really old, I can't understand how come they died during the next century (and if they were really that old, how come the Targayren didn't start the conquest earlier? If the four dragons were really old they had to be the size of houses, like Balerion during the Conquest).

Balerion was much bigger than a house, he had a wingspan so vast that entire houses were swallowed up by their shadow when he flew overhead.

Some Targayren girl called Daenerys had prophetic dreams about the Doom, and her dad took all the family (and their five dragons) to Dragonstone.

Daenys, not Daenerys.

No, the other four dragons died off in the following century. It's possible they died in battle - we know that Targaryen dragon-riders fought in the coalition of the Storm Kingdom, Braavos and Tyroshia, Lyseni and Myrish rebels against Volantis - or were indeed quite old and died of natural causes (or maybe the maesters on Dragonstone tried to poison them off?).

No, the other four dragons died off in the following century. It's possible they died in battle - we know that Targaryen dragon-riders fought in the coalition of the Storm Kingdom, Braavos and Tyroshia, Lyseni and Myrish rebels against Volantis - or were indeed quite old and died of natural causes (or maybe the maesters on Dragonstone tried to poison them off?).

That was Aegon the Conqueror himself, just before the Conquest. His dragons were the same he used when he attacked Westeros, or maybe even Balerion alone.

The Doom of Valyria is kind of similar but at times parallel as to the myth of Atlantis. It was a land before its time, with technology and magic that made them the superior race/clan/people of the time. I think that the fact that they were mining into volcanoes has a lot to do with the cataclysm that was their downfall.

From my understanding, there is talk in the books of an actual string of volcanoes along Valyria. Considering that whatever happened was enough to even burn the dragons from the sky, I'm assuming it had to do with some sort of great eruption caused by plate tectonics and other such geographical movements. I am sure magic did have a part to play, yet I do not think the Doom has much to do with the Winters and Summers that occur in the realm since such events as "The Long NIght" happened before the Doom.

I don't think a full explanation would be pertinent to the storyline (maybe it will be in upcoming books), because the mystery of it is what makes it so intriguing. I truly believe that Valyria and the Lands of Always Winter do have a huge role to play as to "The Song of Ice and Fire", but I think they will only be pivotal in the artifacts or information people have gotten from them, not the actual lands themselves

GRRM has said he would like to write stand alone novels based in the world asoiaf is set in once he has finished Game of thrones so hopefully he could write a whole novel based around the events leading up to the Doom , at least I hope he does.

this would be an awesome idea, maybe if he wrote a multi POV novel depicting a slave, a dragonlord, and other such citizens of Valyria. I want to hear about the war they had with Old Ghis

Archived