'Royals' banned from San Fran radio stations during baseball World Series

The Anti-Targ

But shouldn't it actually be the San Fran Giants pop anthem?

The offending lyric goes "And we'll never be Royals, it don't run in our blood..."

Why would you ban a song that is rejecting the [Kansas City] Royals? And now Kansas City radio stations are vowing to play the song hourly, which is ironic for the very same reason given that the notion of being a royal is rejected not embraced in the song.

So both cities have it bass ackwards.

My guess is the station programmers in San Fran are either sick of the song or never liked it in the first place and have found a cunning way to take it off the airwaves.

Kansas also gets to play some psychological warfare during their home games by blasting the song at the Giants during the innings breaks.

It's all good publicity for Lorde though, and I'm happy about that being that I'm a Lorde fan.

ETA. Having said that the song title was inspired by a National Geographic cover shot of a KC Royals player, George Brett, signing baseballs. So there is somewhat of a basis for San Fran's Royals ban.

People love doing dumb shit as a result of artificial tribalism.

remember "Freedom Fries"?

For all our inventions and "civilization" we are, at our core, still just apes marking our territory by flinging our poo at each other.

At least, since this is baseball and not football, it's just a silly slap fight over a song, and not people trying to actually kill each other for wearing the "them" replica jersey instead of the "us" one.

this is the most uninteresting WS i ca remember. i cannot remember being less interested in playoff baseball.

Yeah, because we totally want another Yankees/Red Sox vs St. Louis World Series. The fact is that this World Series has some of the most dynamic story lines of any recent World Series, the lovable underdogs that have defied all sense of logic, small balling their way to the biggest stage of all after squeaking their way into the playoffs in one of the most hotly contested final week of the season. And then the Giants, they have won every even year since 2010, will it hold true for a third time?

These playoffs have been one of the most exciting post seasons in the last few years, in a time where baseball has been somewhat declining in popularity, due in large part to the lack of small market success and those teams losing fans.

But shouldn't it actually be the San Fran Giants pop anthem?

The offending lyric goes "And we'll never be Royals, it don't run in our blood..."

Why would you ban a song that is rejecting the [Kansas City] Royals? And now Kansas City radio stations are vowing to play the song hourly, which is ironic for the very same reason given that the notion of being a royal is rejected not embraced in the song.

So both cities have it bass ackwards.

My guess is the station programmers in San Fran are either sick of the song or never liked it in the first place and have found a cunning way to take it off the airwaves.

Kansas also gets to play some psychological warfare during their home games by blasting the song at the Giants during the innings breaks.

It's all good publicity for Lorde though, and I'm happy about that being that I'm a Lorde fan.

ETA. Having said that the song title was inspired by a National Geographic cover shot of a KC Royals player, George Brett, signing baseballs. So there is somewhat of a basis for San Fran's Royals ban.

When has the actual lyrics and meaning of a song mattered for how people treat it?

I mean, Every Breath You Take is a love song, amiright?

Regular reminder that Rudy Guliani came onstage to "Rudie Can't Fail" during his 2008 nomination run.

e: And that "Born in the USA" is similarly used regularly.

e2: Pittsburgh, while not banning Sam Adams, removed most/all of Sam Adams beer from their bars during their playoff series against the Bruins last Stanley Cup. Free market, yo.

Archived