Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Do we know why/how Greyjoys got to power? Did they support Aegon? Were they controlling the Iron Islands (then just small part of Ironborn realm) during the reign of Hoare?

During the War of Conquest, the Iron Islands and the Riverlands were ruled by Harren the Black. Because House Tully was the first of the Riverlords to support Aegon, Tully was granted the Riverlands, but the Iron Islands were not granted to him. Instead, the surviving lords on the Iron Islands were allowed to revive their ancient custom of chosing who should have the primacy among them. Lord Vickon Greyjoy was chosen.

There were members of House Greyjoy who had once ruled as kings, though it at some point, they were conquered.

Hi everyone...

I'm rereading SoS right now, and I've got a question. In the Tyrion chapter where he meets Oberyn (and, IMHO, realizes that things are about to get quite interesting), one of the banners that accompanies him is from the house Jordayne of Tor.

Does this have anything to do with Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series? WoT WAS published by Tor...at least the copies I have are.

Also, back in CoK, there's a conversation between Bronn, Varys and Tyrion where Bronn says "'Ever think how easy life would be if the other one had been born first?' ... 'Seems like he'd do whatever he was told, as a good king should.' A chill crept down Tyrion's spine as he realized what the sellsword was hinting at. If Tommen was king.....There was only way Tommen would become kind. No, he could not even think it." Is this where Varys might have gotten the idea to help with the Tyrells and whoever else decided to poison Joffrey? And since Tyrion wasn't solidly against it, would this also have been how it was decided to frame him?

LF and the Tyrells poisoned Joffrey, Varys, for once, had nothing to do with it.

Tyrion was most likely framed because it was so easy and convenient. The bad relationship between Tyrion and Joffrey was plain for every one to see, and the hatred between Tyrion and Cersei even better..

Hi everyone...

I'm rereading SoS right now, and I've got a question. In the Tyrion chapter where he meets Oberyn (and, IMHO, realizes that things are about to get quite interesting), one of the banners that accompanies him is from the house Jordayne of Tor.

Does this have anything to do with Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series? WoT WAS published by Tor...at least the copies I have are.

Yeah, it does. GRRM admitted that he named one house Jordayne as a tribute to his fellow writer Robert Jordan.

You'll find these bits of tributes scattered all over the books. Examples include Oberyn's speech to Gregor during their duel (tribute to Princess Bride), maester who wrote that "Time is a wheel" (Wheel of Time), two bickering brothers named Josua and Elyas (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) etc.

Will The Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas ever be published in one volume? Instead of spread out in three different anthologies? The graphic novels are okay, but they don't have the full text. I just feel like they should have been re-published by now.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Knight_of_the_Seven_Kingdoms

Will The Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas ever be published in one volume? Instead of spread out in three different anthologies? The graphic novels are okay, but they don't have the full text. I just feel like they should have been re-published by now.

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms will be released next year in English (in other languages, it might already been released), including The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight.

Yesterday, someone said that the book would be released in the spring of 2015

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms will be released next year in English (in other languages, it might already been released), including The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight.

Yesterday, someone said that the book would be released in the spring of 2015

Yes! Ok, I'm saving my money for that.

anybody know of any threads where the doors on the house across from the Seven Swords in Duskendale are discussed?

Brienne II, Feast

I don't see the fox, the sparrows, and the boar as a foreshadowing of the showdown at Cracklaw Point. Could the sparrows be the new high septon and the beheaded dwarf Brienne meets? Perhaps the sly fox is the Mad Mouse? Is the shadow of the boar Gendry, Robert's son? Come on, help me out here...

Maybe the fox is Tom of Sevenstreams...

The outlaw hopped down. Trim and slim, he had a narrow face and foxy features, but his mouth was so wide that his smile seemed to touch his ears.

Epilogue, Storm

Going like this we have a free city of air bending wate(ice benders) on poles and it all changed when the first kingdom(targs) attacked and when he was needed the most azor ahai(jon) vanished

Haha, I see what you did there...

It's really nice we have a 4-elements thing going on now, though I don't think we're ever gonna see the water or air wizards

Also, what language do the Qartheen speak ? I feel like it should be Valyrian, but it isn't mentioned on the wiki and they've never been part of the Freehold

A detail has disturbed me while re-reading Feast 35. Aboard the Cinnamon Wind, between Pentos and the Stepstones, Maester Aemon wonders what he will find when he's dead.

Yet I cannot help but wonder what will follow, when the last warmth leaves my body. Will I feast forever in the Father's golden hall as the septons say? Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children?

It looks like Aemon knows Dareon is dead. But when I read the Arya chapter in which she kills Dareon, I was under the impression that Sam and Aemon had already left Braavos. And the most precise timeline supports that, with only two days between the deaths of Dareon and Aemon. So did really Aemon leave Braavos after Dareon's death ? Or did Sam lie to Aemon, and made him believe Dareon didn't sail with them because he was dead, before he actually was ? Is this implied somewhere in the books ?

A detail has disturbed me while re-reading Feast 35. Aboard the Cinnamon Wind, between Pentos and the Stepstones, Maester Aemon wonders what he will find when he's dead.

It looks like Aemon knows Dareon is dead. But when I read the Arya chapter in which she kills Dareon, I was under the impression that Sam and Aemon had already left Braavos. And the most precise timeline supports that, with only two days between the deaths of Dareon and Aemon. So did really Aemon leave Braavos after Dareon's death ? Or did Sam lie to Aemon, and made him believe Dareon didn't sail with them because he was dead, before he actually was ? Is this implied somewhere in the books ?

He's talking about his brother, Daeron :p First Egg, as they were the closest, then Daeron, his second favorite brother, then his sisters..

Though that is a strange mistake, I'm sure it is a mistake.. Why think about a random singer you've only met two years ago and barely spend any time with, in the mids of remembering your siblings?

He's talking about his brother, Daeron :P First Egg, as they were the closest, then Daeron, his second favorite brother, then his sisters..

Though that is a strange mistake, I'm sure it is a mistake.. Why think about a random singer you've only met two years ago and barely spend any time with, in the mids of remembering your siblings?

:o I thought I read it wrong but no, it's written "Dareon" in my copy of Feast... Thank you, Rhaenys, it makes much more sense !

Don't have my copy here to check, but even if in mine (a rather recent print) it is still wrong, it definitly is a mistake ;) Those happen, every now and then

The mistake is even repeated in the quotes on Daeron's wiki page ! But why does Aemon hopes to find him whole ? Because he died of the pox ?

Archived