Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Just reading the Jon chapter when he and halfhand are running from then captured by the wildlings. Is there a theory on who halfhand is or an analysis of this chapter someone could point me to? Lots of interesting quotes and pieces of information that make me think there's more to him then what we have been told yet, and my search doesn't seem to work on my phone

Well the halfhands story is pretty well explored, he has been in the watch for a long time. I think the most interesting part of that chapter is actually that the ranger that was a very skilled archer is never seen or heard from again. It seems unlikely the wildlings were able to get by him as easily as they did so they may have went around, or maybe I'm reading too much into it and he just died.

To keep on with mistakes in the chapter in which Maester Aemon dies :

"We could name the little one Maester, if you like. When he's old enough, not now. We could."

"Maester is not a name. You could call him Aemon, though."

Gilly thought about that. "Dalla brought him forth during battle, as the swords sang all around her. That should be his name. Aemon Battleborn. Aemon Steelsong."

A name even my lord father might like. A warrior's name. The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood. "Yes. Call him that."

Can we just presume Sam was confused and merged the lineages of Dalla's and Gilly's babes ?

To keep on with mistakes in the chapter in which Maester Aemon dies :

Can we just presume Sam was confused and merged the lineages of Dalla's and Gilly's babes ?

Hmm.. I've explained this one a few times here already, and I'm certain you were around for at least once of those times :p

But then again, I've asked the same question a few times (though I can't currently remember which specific question it was xD )

The baby Gilly has with her is Dalla's child. So in blood, the child is a son of Mance.

The child is now being raised by Gilly, so in practise, Gilly is now the childs mother. Not the biological mother, but the adoptive mother. Gilly is the daughter of Craster, born and raised by him. So in matters of how the boy will be raised, he will be Craster's grandson.. The strength Gilly possesses due to having been raised by Craster will now influence the way this child will be raised.

So in a sort of way, Aemon Steelborn is the son of Mance, and grandson of Craster, even if only one is in the biological sense, and the other in the way of being raised.

On the wiki page of Meraxes, "she" is referred to as a she-dragon. But didn't Maester Aemon (in that same chapter, I believe ;) ) say they were genderless ?

On that note, how do dragons reproduce ? Would Dany's be able to make the species survive?

I'll also ask my previous question again: what language do the Qartheen speak?I feel like it should be Valyrian, but it isn't mentioned on the wiki and they've never been part of the Freehold

Hmm.. I've explained this one a few times here already, and I'm certain you were around for at least once of those times :P

But then again, I've asked the same question a few times (though I can't currently remember which specific question it was xD )

I remembered the question had been asked (though not by me), but not the answer... Thanks for this time and the last ones, then.

The baby Gilly has with her is Dalla's child. So in blood, the child is a son of Mance.

The child is now being raised by Gilly, so in practise, Gilly is now the childs mother. Not the biological mother, but the adoptive mother. Gilly is the daughter of Craster, born and raised by him. So in matters of how the boy will be raised, he will be Craster's grandson.. The strength Gilly possesses due to having been raised by Craster will now influence the way this child will be raised.

I get what you mean, but given that Sam had drunk some rum, what's more plausible, that he was poetic or that he was drunked ? ;)

On the wiki page of Meraxes, "she" is referred to as a she-dragon. But didn't Maester Aemon (in that same chapter, I believe ;) ) say they were genderless ?

On that note, how do dragons reproduce ? Would Dany's be able to make the species survive?

I'll also ask my previous question again: what language do the Qartheen speak?I feel like it should be Valyrian, but it isn't mentioned on the wiki and they've never been part of the Freehold

The dragon-gender issue still isn't clear, I'm afraid. I suppose Meraxes has been referred to as a "she" during readings, leading to the specification on the wiki-page.

I'm afraid I can't find the language of Qarth, and I am wondering whether it has ever been mentioned. As I have yet to read the World Book section on Essos, I can't tell you tyet whether it is in there :) If so, I'll post it here ;)

I remembered the question had been asked (though not by me), but not the answer... Thanks for this time and the last ones, then.

Haha, no worries ;) It's a fun question :)

I get what you mean, but given that Sam had drunk some rum, what's more plausible, that he was poetic or that he was drunked ? ;)

Possibly both what I said, and the rum ;)

The dragon-gender issue still isn't clear, I'm afraid. I suppose Meraxes has been referred to as a "she" during readings, leading to the specification on the wiki-page.

I'm afraid I can't find the language of Qarth, and I am wondering whether it has ever been mentioned. As I have yet to read the World Book section on Essos, I can't tell you tyet whether it is in there :) If so, I'll post it here ;)

Okay, thanks! I'll try to look it up too as soon as I get TWOIAF

I'll also ask my previous question again: what language do the Qartheen speak? I feel like it should be Valyrian, but it isn't mentioned on the wiki and they've never been part of the Freehold

From Clash 63 :

She dismounted beside a gaming pit where a basilisk was tearing a big red dog to pieces amidst a shouting ring of sailors. "Aggo, Jhogo, you will guard the horses while Ser Jorah and I speak to the captains."

"As you say, Khaleesi. We will watch you as you go."

It was good to hear men speaking Valyrian once more, and even the Common Tongue, Dany thought as they approached the first ship.

So no, the Qartheen don't seem to speak Valyrian.

No. The the "true steel" discussion only happens about the Baratheon brothers. However, he has been described as the perfect king and could've been the Warrior himself with Blackfyre according to some of his supporters.

Dunk was also described as true steel in TSS. I didn't find any such reference in THK. Unfortunately I can't search TMK. Did you search the five main ASOIAF books? What about the new TWOIAF?

Dunk was also described as true steel in TSS. I didn't find any such reference in THK. Unfortunately I can't search TMK. Did you search the five main ASOIAF books? What about the new TWOIAF?

Only in TSS as you refer to (and the term also appears 5 times altogether, although not for Dunk, in AGoT, ASoS and ADwD). Can't search TWOIAF electronically yet:

"You will save Ser Bennis from Dake's fate. I know it. I am no mean judge of men, and you are the true steel. You will give them pause, ser. The very sight of you. When that woman sees that Standfast has such a champion, she may well take down that dam of her own accord"

The Sworn Sword

The lord who hosts the tournament gets to decide the rules, so undoubtable this would be the case some times, but as in the tourney in Kings Landing for Neds appointment as hand, Jory rode in the tourney and is not a knight.

Bronze Yhon also held a tourney at the end of which he knighted Harry the Heir, so when he rode in the tourney he was not a Ser.

Archived