Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Wasn't barristan too old for ashara like 22-3 years older than her, the pairing seems too weird had he not been in KG his daughter would be of her age or am I miscalculating her age

Yeah she would've been at least 20 years younger then him, if he wasn't in Kingsguard he would most probably have been married before she was born :P

But Walder Frey's wife is 16 he is 98, so age doesn't really matter it would seem

A 40 year old man getting together with a 20 year old woman is far from unheard of even in the modern west, let alone the world of child brides that is Westeros. As far as Westerosi relatioships go, the age difference between Barristan and Ashara is far less than the age difference between Jon Arryn and Lysa Tully, for example

Wasn't barristan too old for ashara like 22-3 years older than her, the pairing seems too weird had he not been in KG his daughter would be of her age or am I miscalculating her age

Barristan was some 20 years older, yeah, but in Westerosi times, such an age difference is barely noticeable. Besides the obvious age differences between Waldwr Frey and all of his more recent wives, think aboutEldon Estermont (70) and his 23 year old bride, for example, or Edmure (early 30, late 20) and his 16 year old bride, or Roose Bolton (past 40) and his 15-something year old bride.

And Barristan wasn't looking for a marriage. He had a crush.

Has GRRM ever said why the Stark rulers were titled King in the North, rather than the more obvious King of the North.

The title "King in the North" leaves room for expansion of the realm, perhaps?

Has GRRM ever said why the Stark rulers were titled King in the North, rather than the more obvious King of the North.

Their title is actually the "King of Winter."

The slight differences in their culture, and the fact that they spoke the Old Tongue for longer than the Andal kingdoms may mean that they've simply adopted different language conventions. So they may use the preposition "of" in place of "in".

As an example in real life: US English ties the word off to a preposition but UK English doesn't. So in US English, it'd be: "I jumped off of a swing, what fun!" whereas in UK English it'd be, "I jumped off a swing, what fun!"

Perhaps, also, it's from the fact that the Starks were not always Kings of the entirety of the North and may therefore have styled themselves as Kings IN the North as they didn't lay claim to the parts they had no power over. But that's not GRRM saying it, that's me speculating; I'm not sure if he ever said why.

What name do bastards son or daughter take.

Depends on where they were born. In North it is Snow, in Dorne it's Sand...

North - Snow

Dorne - Sand

Riverlands - Rivers

Westerlands - Hill

Iron Islands - Pyke

Vale - Stone

Crownlands - Waters

Reach - Flowers

Stormlands - Storm

the child of a bastard? Depends.. if the bastard (male) is married, his children take his surename. Unmarried, the children won't have a surename..

With female bastards who marry, I'm not sure.. it would depend on who they marry.

GGRM expanded a bit on that subject:

Bastard names are given only to bastards with at least one parent of high birth. So the bastard child of two peasants would have no surname at all.

Thus a bastard name like "Snow" or "Rivers" is simultaneously a stigma and a mark of distinction. The whole thing with bastard names is custom, not law.

The highborn parent can bestow the usual name, a new one of his/her own devising, or none at all. Most legitimate sons of bastards keep the bastard name, but there are cases where a later generation fiddles with it to remove the taint. There's one such case that you will meet in the next book, a minor character descended from a Waters (a bastard name along the shores of Blackwater Bay) whose great grandfather changed the name to Longwaters for just that reason.

GGRM expanded a bit on that subject:

Bastard names are given only to bastards with at least one parent of high birth. So the bastard child of two peasants would have no surname at all.

Thus a bastard name like "Snow" or "Rivers" is simultaneously a stigma and a mark of distinction. The whole thing with bastard names is custom, not law.

The highborn parent can bestow the usual name, a new one of his/her own devising, or none at all. Most legitimate sons of bastards keep the bastard name, but there are cases where a later generation fiddles with it to remove the taint. There's one such case that you will meet in the next book, a minor character descended from a Waters (a bastard name along the shores of Blackwater Bay) whose great grandfather changed the name to Longwaters for just that reason.

True, and to expand even further

BASTARDS’ OFFSPRING

[summary: Pamela asks what would happen if two bastards of different areas (she uses Snow and Rivers as an example) married: what name would a child take?]

Interesting question.

The child would most likely take the father's surname.

Archived