Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

This is a really good question, and I'm curious as to what others think... I didn't realise that so many people would reply to it as they normally don't and I think ACVG's query is so good that I made a thread for it here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119923-twoiaf-spoilers-female-claimants-to-the-iron-throne/

Don't panic! I've not taken credit for this splendid question! :)

And soz if that's more inconvenient that continuing here, but my curiosity is really piqued by this one... it's not a small question but a large one. ;)

Another question that has probably been answered in the histories of Targs or other houses?

If the female is the last heir and marries another lordling, does the name cease to exist?

e.g. if Sansa was the heir to Winterfell and had a child by Tyrion would that start the Lannister line of Winterfell or continue the Stark line?

The answer may lay with whomever has the power at the time.

Same with if Myrcella was crowned successfully in Dorne, would her children start a line of Martell Kings or would they be Baratheon/Lannisters?

@Valyrian Lance

Usually the ruling lady will pass on her surname to her children. Lady Waynwood's sons will be Waynwoods, and Lady Okaheart's sons will be Oakhearts. We also have an example in Northern history, where Stark's only daughter gave birth of Bael the Bard's son, who carried on the name of Stark.

Power play may have something to do with it, however. In case of great power disparity (e.g.Lord Parmount's son marries heir daughter of petty lord or landed knight), children might keep their father's name. I think one SSM deals with that, but I can't find it right now.

In concrete example you provide, I think Myrcella's kids would be Baratheons.

Soo.. I'm looking for the quote where GRRM states that somebody is going to the lands of always winter... ;)

IIRC he said we would go very far north and learn more about, or at least see more of, the Others. I don't recall him specifically saying we would see the Land of Always Winter, which really is a vaguely defined name for unmapped lands beyond the known region north of the Wall. We saw the Heart of Winter in Game, in Bran's third chapter, no?

IIRC he said we would go very far north and learn more about, or at least see more of, the Others. I don't recall him specifically saying we would see the Land of Always Winter, which really is a vaguely defined name for unmapped lands beyond the known region north of the Wall. We saw the Heart of Winter in Game, in Bran's third chapter, no?

Yeah I think you're right about that. I just don't know what was meant with 'Heart of Winter.' I think the furthest we've been so far with a person (Jon) was the fist of the first men(?) Anyway, if you go any further you can go to thenn or the lands of always winter. The first one doesn't feel that it would give extra info really, so my guess is on the lands of always winter.

Found the quote:

"What lies really north in my books—we haven't explored that yet, but we will in the last two books.

You're definitely going to see more of the Others"

So yeah, I think we're safe to say that it isn't a POV for sure. I think Bran is a great option.

One thing bugs me in particular at the moment:

What ever happened to that red comet? Dozens of chapters people where fussing over the damn thing, calling it a herald of war, victory, rebirth and whatnot, and all of the sudden it's gone. Did it just disappear and the citizens of Westeros/Essos where all like 'Hmpf, shows over, lets get back to business as usual...'?

I get that it was probably to establish the whole superstition of that time period, but I still find it strange that everybody just forgets about it the moment they stop seeing it...

Yeah I think you're right about that. I just don't know what was meant with 'Heart of Winter.' I think the furthest we've been so far with a person (Jon) was the fist of the first men(?) Anyway, if you go any further you can go to thenn or the lands of always winter. The first one doesn't feel that it would give extra info really, so my guess is on the lands of always winter.

Found the quote:

So yeah, I think we're safe to say that it isn't a POV for sure. I think Bran is a great option.

Not sure if I've quoted right but I don't think grrms comment necessarily means we'll go further north., just that we'll get a better understanding of what's really out there in the north

I think the furthest we've been so far with a person (Jon) was the fist of the first men(?)

Jon goes to the source of the Milkwater, past the Skirling Pass. And in all likelihood Waymar Royce, Gared and Will did range further North than the Fist.

One thing bugs me in particular at the moment:

What ever happened to that red comet? Dozens of chapters people where fussing over the damn thing, calling it a herald of war, victory, rebirth and whatnot, and all of the sudden it's gone. Did it just disappear and the citizens of Westeros/Essos where all like 'Hmpf, shows over, lets get back to business as usual...'?

I get that it was probably to establish the whole superstition of that time period, but I still find it strange that everybody just forgets about it the moment they stop seeing it...

Well I don't see what's strange. Once the comet is no more visible, it seems logical people talk less about it, no ?

What happens to beric the lightning Lord at the end of the last book? I don't remember him dying , but remember references to him being dead.

ETA. I do remember him dying. Just not staying dead

He died "for good" after he brought Lady Stoneheart back to life.

Waymar, Will and Gared would only have needed a 9 day journey to reach the Wall. They were not further north than the Great Ranging.

I'm not so sure about that.

Nine days they had been riding, north and northwest and then north again, farther and farther from the Wall, hard on the track of a band of wildling raiders.

while the Old Bear took his time searching the wildling villages and went more northwest than north. There's nothing sure, but I see Waymar getting round the Antler River and further north.

Jon Arryn's bannermen will never love me, nor our silly, shaking Robert, but they will love their Young Falcon

Which is in your opinion the correct subject of phrase: "nor our silly, shaking Robert"?

Lords of the Vale will never love Petyr and ROBERT will never love Petyr

Or:

Lords of the Vale will never love Petyr and THEY will never love Robert.

Jon Arryn's bannermen will never love me, nor our silly, shaking Robert, but they will love their Young Falcon

Which is in your opinion the correct subject of phrase: "nor our silly, shaking Robert"?

Lords of the Vale will never love Petyr and ROBERT will never love Petyr

Or:

Lords of the Vale will never love Petyr and THEY will never love Robert.

The bolded one.

Otherwise, it should have been "nor will our silly, shaking Robert"

Archived