Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

There are lots of trees in the Riverlands, but are any of them pine trees? Summer tries to climb a pine tree inside the walls of Winterfell and Jon notices pines beyond the Wall. Pines generally thrive in northern climates and are rare in warmer place. This actually matters because,

In the Mercy chapter, Nymeria and her great pack are running through a pine forest. Does that mean they're above the Neck? To what end?

It was been speculated that they are above the Neck, since it's described as a pine forest, but there are pine trees in the Riverlands.

Black turned to grey, and colors crept timidly back into the world. The soldier pines were dressed in somber greens, the broadleafs in russets and faded golds already beginning to brown.

Arya I ASOS

As the gods would have it, their route took them through the Whispering Wood where Robb had won his first great victory. They followed the course of the twisting stream on the floor of that pinched narrow valley, much as Jaime Lannister's men had done that fateful night. It was warmer then, Catelyn remembered, the trees were still green, and the stream did not overflow its banks. Fallen leaves choked the flow now and lay in sodden snarls among the rocks and roots, and the trees that had once hidden Robb's army had exchanged their green raiment for leaves of dull gold spotted with brown, and a red that reminded her of rust and dry blood. Only the spruce and the soldier pines still showed green, thrusting up at the belly of the clouds like tall dark spears.

Catelyn ASOS

Has it ever been discussed why Balon Greyjoy waited six years after RR to start his own rebellion?

Seems to me Roberts hold on the IT was least secure after he had just won it. His most loyal bannermen suffered losses during battle of bells and trident, not to mention that most of the allies he won over would be questionable allies then, not six years later...

Has it ever been discussed why Balon Greyjoy waited six years after RR to start his own rebellion?

Seems to me Roberts hold on the IT was least secure after he had just won it. His most loyal bannermen suffered losses during battle of bells and trident, not to mention that most of the allies he won over would be questionable allies then, not six years later...

It has been discussed before, and while I can't remember what the opinions were offered in those discussions, the World Book has offered some new information, making the events a bit more logical:

During Robert's Rebellion, Lord Quellon Greyjoy, Balons father, was still alive. When news of Rhaegar's death reached the Iron Islands, Quellon set out to attack the nearest Targaryen loyalists, in the hopes of being counted an ally of Robert. Some fighting happened in the Reach, and Quellon died.

Balon had joined his father, and eventually returned to the Iron Islands, and there, immediately started to prepare for a war, building longships, gathering men, etc. As Lord Quellon had been a man of peace, it seems that the forces of the Iron Islands were not good enough for a rebellion because of this.

There are lots of trees in the Riverlands, but are any of them pine trees? Summer tries to climb a pine tree inside the walls of Winterfell and Jon notices pines beyond the Wall. Pines generally thrive in northern climates and are rare in warmer place. This actually matters because,

In the Mercy chapter, Nymeria and her great pack are running through a pine forest. Does that mean they're above the Neck? To what end?

Pine grows all over. Even nesr the equator.

Perhaps, I'm no military expert, but the Romans would have done 4 days, I could certainly do it in 2, and I didn't grow up in the dark ages.

Dude, you know it's 100 leagues and not miles, right? That's nearly 350 miles over broken, heavily wooded terrain regardless of weather.

Just reading a stannis chapter in a storm of swords where he is talking to Davos after his release from the dungeons. He tells Davos he plans to "scour the court clean " and makes special mention of Jaime, who stannis believes should never have been pardoned, Robert should have sent him to the wall as urged by Lord stark, but he listened to Jon arryn instead." Was Jon arryn just a big softie or did he have another agenda in wanting Jaime pardoned? Did he just wanna keep the lannister clan happy?

@mee aar dun wee wee:

I think it's the last one. Pardoning Jaime is a good way to get in Tywin's good graces. Robert, being newly crowned king, needs all powerful friends he can get, and pardoning Jaime is a cheap price for getting one.

Perhaps, I'm no military expert, but the Romans would have done 4 days, I could certainly do it in 2, and I didn't grow up in the dark ages.

A league is defined as distance which man or horse can pass in one hour, and roughly corresponds to five and a half kilometers.

Which would mean that distance of 100 leagues requires 100 hours of march. And army can't march all day long (especially carrying all the food, weapons, armour etc.), they need to sleep, rest, eat...

Archived