Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

World of Ice and Fire question

It says that Reach was made of 4 kingdoms, Reach itself, Oldtown, Arbor and eastern marches, but these were all united into one kingdom by Gradeners long time ago and before them, there were dozens of petty kingdoms like everywhere else. Is there a particular reason why it is mentioned there used to be these 4 kingdoms, when they are neither the first/original kingdoms to exist there nor are they recent?

Another TWOIAF question:

In what way did TWOIAF disprove the theory that Cersei and Jaime are Aerys's bastards, or in what way did TWOIAF make the theory unlikely?

While the book hints at an affair between Aerys and Joanna, Joanna had been dismissed from KL soon after her wedding in 263 AC and seldom came to court after that. The twins were born in 266 AC at Casterly Rock a few years after her dismissal, making it unlikely Joanna was in KL during the time the twins could have been conceived

From Dance 39, when Jon receives Bowen Marsh, Othell Yarwyck, and Septon Cellador :

Hungry was not the word Jon would have used. Septon Cellador appeared confused and groggy and in dire need of some scales from the dragon that had flamed him, whilst First Builder Othell Yarwyck looked as if he had swallowed something he could not quite digest.

I don't get the bolded part. Is this a reference to Cellador being drunk ?

From Dance 39, when Jon receives Bowen Marsh, Othell Yarwyck, and Septon Cellador :

Yeah. The only real cure for a hangover is to get drunk again.

Hi everyone,

I just finished reading ADwD for the first time and I was wondering : are we really supposed to know that Davos is going to look for Rickon is Skagos ? I just read this on the wiki but if I remember correctly, it's never really said in his chapter. Did i miss something ?

You didn't miss anything. It is not stated in the chapter that Davos is going to Skagos. Manderly says he must have a man who has sailed in darker waters and knows how to slip past dangers, unseen and unmolested. Then Wex tosses a knife at a map. Then Davos thinks there were other places in this world where men were known to break their fast on human flesh.

Seems like it is left open ended. As to the unicorn thing, in Jon's wolf dream it was an enormus goat.

It's reference to how fast and much Cellador eat

Edit: And he also was drunken as usual ;)

Yeah. The only real cure for a hangover is to get drunk again.

OK, but I don't get the metaphor. "The dragon that had flamed him" is because his face is red ? And why does he need scales ? Is he sweating ??

^ Its a variation of an American expression, there is no 1 set version of it, but you say "some part of something that hurt you" and it means "more boose since your so hung over?"

Frozentree, I would say it is because those kingdoms lasted for a much longer time than the others, or it could be to point out just how large and populous the Reach is. But if for example the North, Westerlands, Iron Isles, Vale, and Stormlands were unified when there were still 4 kingdoms in the Reach, it would make sense to say it the way it is said in the book.

Actually, hungover, not drunk. The real world parallel is hair of the dog that bit him.

Can anyone help me find the link about Ashara being one of the ladies in companion of Elia?

As to your speculations about Catelyn and Ashara Dayne... sigh... needless to say, All Will Be Revealed in Good Time. I will give you this much, however; Ashara Dayne was not nailed to the floor in Starfall, as some of the fans who write me seem to assume. They have horses in Dorne too, you know. And boats (though not many of their own). As a matter of fact (a tiny tidbit from SOS), she was one of Princess Elia's lady companions in King's Landing, in the first few years after Elia married Rhaegar.

The rest I will save for the books.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1040/

That seems to indicate this is mentioned in SoS also, but I couldn't find it in a quick search for "Ashara"

Edit: there you go Leftwitch got it. I guess that tidbit got pushed back from Storm to Dance.

Can anyone help me find the link about Ashara being one of the ladies in companion of Elia?

"His choice would have been a young maiden not long at court, one of Elia’s companions … though compared to Ashara Dayne, the Dornish princess was a kitchen drab."

-ADwD, p. 879

^ Its a variation of an American expression, there is no 1 set version of it, but you say "some part of something that hurt you" and it means "more boose since your so hung over?"

Actually, hungover, not drunk. The real world parallel is hair of the dog that bit him.

Thanks to you three, I didn't know this expression.

Cersei is the only female protector of the realm we know of right?

Seeing how that title is part of ruling monarch's full title (King of Andal, Rhyonar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the realm), I imagine Dany also styles herself so.

As for others, only Rhaenyra comes to mind - I can't remember any other ruling queens or women regents. Then again, I haven't read WOIAF, so I may lack certain information.

Archived