Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Can anyone with the ability search the main series for mentions of Longstrider please do so? I think we can compile most of the 9 wonders.

I believe we hear in the main series that the Wall, Hightower, Valyrian roads, and the walls of Volantis are among them.

The old Valyrian road glimmered ahead of them like a long silver ribbon winding through wood and dale. Fora little while Tyrion Lannister felt almost at peace. “Lomas Longstrider told it true. The road’s a wonder.”
“Lomas Longstrider?” asked Duck. “A scribe, long dead,” said Haldon. “He spent his life traveling the world and writing about the lands he visited in two books he called Wonders and Wonders Made by Man.”
“An uncle of mine gave them to me when I was just a boy,” said Tyrion. “I read them until they fell to pieces.”
“The gods made seven wonders, and mortal man made nine,” quoted the Halfmaester. “Rather impious of mortal man to do the gods two better, but there you are. The stone roads of Valyria were one of Longstrider’s nine. The fifth, I believe.”
“The fourth,” said Tyrion, who had committed all sixteen of the wonders to memory as a boy. His uncle Gerion liked to set him on the table during feasts and make him recite them. I liked that well enough, didn’t I? Standing there amongst the trenchers with every eye upon me, proving what a clever little imp I was. For years afterward, he had cherished a dream that one day he would travel the world and see Longstrider’s wonders for himself.

“Some of those ships out on the bay are Qartheen,” Tyrion reminded her. “Lomas Longstrider saw the walls of Qarth. His books suffice for me. I have gone as far east as I intend to go.”
The Great Pyramid of Meereen had been built as an echo to the Great Pyramid of Ghis whose collossal ruins Lomas Longstrider had once visited.

Surprised he was only mentioned in Dance.

Can anyone with the ability search the main series for mentions of Longstrider please do so? I think we can compile most of the 9 wonders.

I believe we hear in the main series that the Wall, Hightower, Valyrian roads, and the walls of Volantis are among them.

can't search right now, but maybe this helps

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119865-lomas-longstriders-wonders/#entry6410850

Is the Lannisters descendants of first men ?

Lannisters trace their origin from Lann the Clever, legendary hero who lived in Age of Heroes, before Andal invasion. So, yes, it would mean that his descendants the Lannisters have blood of First Men.

Wiki claims that "One of Lann's female descendants is believed to have married into an Andal family during the Andal invasion.", though I don't know what's the source of that.

^No one knows their ages for certain. But since she is his great-grandmother, there is at least 48 years between them, probably.

ETA There is a theory that Old Nan is actually Shiera Seastar, that would make her about ~120 years old. I personally don't necessarily believe that theory.

^No one knows their ages for certain. But since she is his great-grandmother, there is at least 48 years between them, probably.

ETA There is a theory that Old Nan is actually Shiera Seastar, that would make her about ~120 years old. I personally don't necessarily believe that theory.

Sheira Seastar woulda bathed in Ramsay's blood, the sick f@$!.

Is Bloodraven the only person we know of who was Hand while holding another Small Council position?

Robert was considering making Jaime the Hand in AGoT, and that was before he was LC of the KG, though I think that was an idle threat.

Cersei was considering making Jaime Hand at some point in AFfC.

Archived