Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

“A knight’s son, but not a knight,” said Davos. “Nor will you ever be, if you meddle in affairs that do not concern you. Stannis is our rightful king, it is not for us to question him. We sail his ships and do his bidding. That is all.” “As to that, Father,” Dale said, “I mislike these water casks they’ve given me for Wraith. Green pine. The water will spoil on a voyage of any length.”

I found this quote from Clash granted it's only after Stannis proclaims himself king. But seeing as his son seems to have some seafaring experience, I'm guessing it was usual trade or doing some more of Stannis' bidding.

A knights son, but not a knight, said Davos. Nor will you ever be, if you meddle in affairs that do not concern you. Stannis is our rightful king, it is not for us to question him. We sail his ships and do his bidding. That is all. As to that, Father, Dale said, I mislike these water casks theyve given me for Wraith. Green pine. The water will spoil on a voyage of any length.

I found this quote from Clash granted it's only after Stannis proclaims himself king. But seeing as his son seems to have some seafaring experience, I'm guessing it was usual trade or doing some more of Stannis' bidding.

That's what I'd expect. I can't think of any plot. The George is using it to show Wyman's efforts to fortify WH recently. If the time were any shorter than 6 years it would be very suspicious to the reader I think.

Hmm.. Davos would have needed to make money over the years, before he became Hand, or was send out on jobs for Stannis. So it is possible it was trade that had brought Davos to WH there six years ago.

Davos seems to have been with Stannis often before Stannis became king (he was with Stannis at KL at the tourney of Joffs 12th nameday). As Stannis was living at KL as small council member, it could be possible that Davos had gone to WH on business for Stannis..?

Why did Robert say Tywin was going to foster Sweet Robin, but it was also mentioned Stannis was going to foster him

Jon Arryn had decided that his son would be fostered with Stannis on Dragonstone, as he tells Walder Frey when Walder asks to have Robert fostered at the Twins. Lysa learned of Jon's plans this way (she was standing next to him), and prevented this, by poisoning Jon (with LF's help).

Cersei Lannister, who had been unaware of Jon Arryn's plans regarding Robert Arryn being fostered at Dragonstone, saw Jon Arryn's death as a lucky event, and decided to increase her position by convincing King Robert that Sweetrobin should be fostered by Lord Tywin, at Casterly Rock. Robert agreed, Tywin agreed, but Lysa didn't, and thus she fled with the child.

So Cersei and Robert had no idea about Jon's plans, which is why the confusion arises.. Catelyn learns about only contradictory information because there were multiple plans going on.

In spoiler tags because it is a quote from the World Book, a question for those for who english is their native language.

With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants....

"with the coming of the new year"... Does that mean that Rhaegar had left by the time 282 AC began? Or simply "early in 282 AC", so within the first few days/weeks?

In spoiler tags because it is a quote from the World Book, a question for those for who english is their native language.

With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants....

"with the coming of the new year"... Does that mean that Rhaegar had left by the time 282 AC began? Or simply "early in 282 AC", so within the first few days/weeks?

I would interpret that to mean "early in 282AC".

Jon Arryn had decided that his son would be fostered with Stannis on Dragonstone, as he tells Walder Frey when Walder asks to have Robert fostered at the Twins. Lysa learned of Jon's plans this way (she was standing next to him), and prevented this, by poisoning Jon (with LF's help).

Cersei Lannister, who had been unaware of Jon Arryn's plans regarding Robert Arryn being fostered at Dragonstone, saw Jon Arryn's death as a lucky event, and decided to increase her position by convincing King Robert that Sweetrobin should be fostered by Lord Tywin, at Casterly Rock. Robert agreed, Tywin agreed, but Lysa didn't, and thus she fled with the child.

So Cersei and Robert had no idea about Jon's plans, which is why the confusion arises.. Catelyn learns about only contradictory information because there were multiple plans going on.

Thank you

How about "not quite a year"? Would that be close to a year, or could it also mean "a few months"?

That would qualify as being "close to a year". A few months is too much. I'd say perhaps up to two months short of a year - at the maximum - would be considered "not quite a year".

As for who physically holds Brightwater Keep, Garlan clearly intended to take it by force, but it seems that the Ironborn attacking the Reach distracted him so it's presumably still held by it's castellan, Ser Colin Florent (Delena's father and Edric Storm's grandfather). The lord through the Florent line (now attainted), Alekyne Florent fled to seek refuge at the Hightower

Actually, it means just before the new year.

Archived