Similarities between Jon Snow and Rhaegar/Egg/Targaryens?

Chilli

He looks like a Stark and also his character is similar to Ned. But he is genetical also half Targaryen. Will that only show in bonding with a dragon? Or does he have other similarities with Rhaegar or other Targaryens like Egg? I know Maester Aemon told him and Egg: Kill the boy and let the man be born. So he must have noticed a similarity between both, but what are those similarities?

Since assuming the heavy burden of leadership and expectations, he has ceased being remotely care-free, but rather spends his time focusing on the looming Big Issue, and is even willing to look bad in order to get what needs to be done done. He also more frequently seeks time alone just to think/worry, is becoming increasingly harder to 'know' personally, and virtually every young woman he encounters seems to be attracted to him.

To quote myself:

In my opinion there are some other between Jon and Egg; like the fact that they were both not afraid of doing their own dirty job, in early age they learn about common people and their problems and live with them and for uknown reasons I think that their personalities are close enough. There is also the fact that, willingly in Egg's care and unknowgly to him, Jon, they had their true Targaryen identity hidden.

Jon like Egg left their houses because they wanted to live the adventure and they live with common people (smallfolk and NW's men, freefolk) something that was very usefull at Egg's case.

One other similarity I find interesting is that Egg had *passed over* the "rightfull" heir by the counsil which gaved him the crown and I believe that the same will happen with Jon.

Also I do believe that there are some similarities between Breakspear and Jon. Like for example the fact that they have refused to let innocent die even if this means endangering themselves.

He [Jon] was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

She [Cat] was looking at him the way she used to look at him at Winterfell, whenever he had bested Robb at swords or sums or most anything.

Those seem to be Rhaegar's genes.

The closest similarity I can think of is the melancholy, sense of doom, early feeling of responsibility etc.

Also in one of the RLJ threads we once discussed that it was mentioned in the books once that the aquiline nose is a Valyrian feature, and the canon description of JS in the graphic novels says he has an aquiline nose.

He [Jon] was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

She [Cat] was looking at him the way she used to look at him at Winterfell, whenever he had bested Robb at swords or sums or most anything.

Yes, this too, definitely.

Rhaegar felt a lot of melancholy. Jon Snow has that as well, but to a lesser extent.

Both seem to have a strong sense of duty, and both have had a weaker moment where they forgot their duty (Rhaegar when he ran off with Lyanna, Jon when he wanted to join Robb).

In the negative aspect, Jon has a temper and is quick to react with violence.

Those are Aerys/Viserys' genes :P

I was going to say that we don't know that Rhaegar wasn't easily angered too, but then I remembered that he still called Robert "Our cousin" and seemed to respect him even while the latter wanted to cut his throat. I think the temper comes from Lyanna, though.

Rhaegar was a lot bigger, and Jon's intellect seems more 'above average to very smart' as opposed to 'amazed Maesters', but otherwise, yeah.

I was going to say that we don't know that Rhaegar wasn't easily angered too, but then I remembered that he still called Robert "Our cousin" and seemed to respect him even while the latter wanted to cut his throat. I think the temper comes from Lyanna, though.

Can you blame Robert tho?

Rhaegar was a lot bigger, and Jon's intellect seems more 'above average to very smart' as opposed to 'amazed Maesters', but otherwise, yeah.

Rhaegar was a grown man. Jon still has around three or four years to catch up.

It could come from the two of them. Luckily Viserys and Lyanna didn't have a child together.

It could come from the two of them. Luckily Viserys and Lyanna didn't have a child together.

In addition to Vis' madness, add Lyanna's actual sword skill and talent for fighting and you have the Targaryen version of Ramsay Snow. Yep, luckily indeed.

True, though FAegon, who is supposed to take after Rhaegar, is already described as quite tall, well built and 'lanky', suggesting he'll grow more still. My impression of Rhaegar's height/build is somewhere between Jaime and Renly.

The similarities is more like Jon and Bloodraven.

Both are bastards,brother to a king ,both are slender, both became LC of the Night's Watch , both deserted ,both had a woman they loved but couldn't have, both had a brother they loved and one they hated ,both revere the old gods, both are wargs.

Bloodraven hated Bittersteel, his half-brother, but Jon?! Who exactly does he hate- Robb, Bran or Rickon? I mean this particular point does not fit!But on the whole, yes, they have a lot of similarities, on the other hand, Jon is no sorcerer.

The similarities is more like Jon and Bloodraven.

Both are bastards,brother to a king ,both are slender, both became LC of the Night's Watch , both deserted ,both had a woman they loved but couldn't have, both had a brother they loved and one they hated ,both revere the old gods, both are wargs.

Huh? How do we know that BR deserted? How do we know that Jon is a bastard? Which brother Jon loves and which one he hates? Which of Jon's sisters has a relationship with 2 of ther brothers?

Archived