R+L=J v.110

Jon Weirgaryen

Well, back on topic, one of the reasons that R+L=J deniers say that Jon isn't Rhaegars son as he isn't immune to fire, and pro r+l=j people say that Targs aren't immune to fire, and Daenerys not getting burnt was a one time thing, but, if it is, then how? We still need an explanation.

Magic.

Well, back on topic, one of the reasons that R+L=J deniers say that Jon isn't Rhaegars son as he isn't immune to fire, and pro r+l=j people say that Targs aren't immune to fire, and Daenerys not getting burnt was a one time thing, but, if it is, then how? We still need an explanation.

Did you not read the first post of this thread and the links therein?

They are frequently asked questions. We'd prefer not to repeat that part all too often, that's why there is the FAQ. :) From post 1 up there ^^^^^^^^

How can Jon be a Targaryen if he has a burned hand?

Targaryens are not immune to fire. Aerion Brightflame died drinking wildfire. Aegon V and his son Duncan are thought to have died in a fire-related event at Summerhall. Rhaenyra was eaten by Aegon II's dragon, presumably roasted by fire before the dragon took a bite. Viserys died when he was crowned with molten gold. Dany suffered burns from the fire pit incident at the end of A Dance with Dragons. Finally, the author has stated outright that Targaryens are not immune to fire. Jon's burned hand does not mean he is ineligible to be part Targaryen. For more information about the myth of Targaryen fire immunity, see this thread.

This be the relevant passage from the second link:

George_RR_Martin Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

...says George.

Did you not read the first post of this thread and the links therein?

They are frequently asked questions. We'd prefer not to repeat that part all too often, that's why there is the FAQ. :) From post 1 up there ^^^^^^^^

This be the relevant passage from the second link:

...says George.

I know, I've read the quote, I BELIEVE R+L=J, but I wanted to know if we would get anymore specifics other than just "It was a miracle". I heard a theory that it was MMR who made a spell to make herself immune to fire that rebounded to Dany.

I know, I've read the quote, I just wanted to know more about it.

All right, all right, there's what is written in the books, everybody calls it canon.

Then there's what George once may have said about it, ti may or may not be the word of God - in the ASOIAF universe.

Though I cannot point my finger on a specific answer George has given, when he is talking about Magic in the World of Ice and Fire, he keeps using the Dany the Unburnt example for using magic on the go, in the moment, no spell or incantation, just a power improvised then and there.

We do not know more about it. It has run through some threads, that there's a definite parallell of Dany using what she has been learning from Mirri Maz Duur's magic, repeating sacrifices, burning them to create or rather bring back new (dragons!) life etc. But it is no R+L=J topic.

I know, I've read the quote, I BELIEVE R+L=J, but I wanted to know if we would get anymore specifics other than just "It was a miracle". I heard a theory that it was MMR who made a spell to make herself immune to fire that rebounded to Dany.

From GRRM

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules.

In other words, it was a miracle she survived. Nothing that would disprove RLJ, it's more about Dany herself.

I simply fail to see how this is relevant to/with R+L=J. Whatever was the reason of that event, it simply has nothing with Rhaegar and Lyanna being Jon's parents.

Ping-ping, pin-pin.

Apart from Ned's, Lyanna'a and Rhaegar's bones, any other candidates for an interesting spiritistic seance?

I believe Rhaegar was cremated, so technically no bones. I also am not sure what process would allow contact with him. I agree, however, that given that Ned's and Lyanna's bones are in the crypt, they seem more ripe for discussion (especially given Jon's visions of the crypt that get cut short). No one else I can think of seems relevant for communication from the beyond.

I believe Rhaegar was cremated, so technically no bones. I also am not sure what process would allow contact with him. I agree, however, that given that Ned's and Lyanna's bones are in the crypt, they seem more ripe for discussion (especially given Jon's visions of the crypt that get cut short). No one else I can think of seems relevant for communication from the beyond.

In that extract I quoted, there is still a skull even though the body was cremated. Fire is one of the options to deflesh Quentyn's bones. In prehistoric times, some cultures cremated their dead, and the remaining bones were collected and buried in a pot. Human body is not particularly flammable and it takes very high temperatures to turn all the bones into ashes.

Ping-ping, pin-pin.

Apart from Ned's, Lyanna'a and Rhaegar's bones, any other candidates for an interesting spiritistic seance?

I have no idea how this would work given that Ned and HR buried him, but Arthur Dayne is someone I'd like to hear more from by way of seance.

Ping-ping, pin-pin.

All the occupants of the WF crypts! :drool:

I have no idea how this would work given that Ned and HR buried him, but Arthur Dayne is someone I'd like to hear more from by way of seance.

Everyone in the cairns at ToJ too! :cool4:

Either select your text, and go to the third button (from the left, upper line) of the answering box (if you hoover your computer-mouse on top of it, it'll read Special BBCode), click on it, and select one of the two spoiler options (can't really tell the difference between the two), and hit Ok.

Another way is by using that same button, and simply type what you want in the spoiler box in the little box where your selected text would have appeared, had you used the first option.

Yet the easiest way is by typing

here comes what you want in the spoiler tag, followed by [/ spoiler] (remove the space between the / and the word spoiler for it to work).

I didn't know this, just this one.

All the occupants of the WF crypts! :drool:

Everyone in the cairns at ToJ too! :cool4:

... and all the dead greenseers whose bones are entwined with weirwood roots... which may be the way the memories can be accessed. - Why were the remnants of the cremated wildling put inside a weirwood, anyway?

ETA: Do you think that weirwood roots grow into the Stark tombs under Winterfell?

... and all the dead greenseers whose bones are entwined with weirwood roots... which may be the way the memories can be accessed. - Why were the remnants of the cremated wildling put inside a weirwood, anyway?

ETA: Do you think that weirwood roots grow into the Stark tombs under Winterfell?

By sheer dumb luck, I'm working on my Bran II (GOT) re-read essay and this is how Maester Luwin describes the castle

The place (Winterfell) had grown over the centuries like some monstrous stone tree, Maester Luwin told him once, and its branches were gnarled and thick and twisted, its roots sunk deep into the earth

I think the fact that WF is being compared directly to a tree (and what other kind of tree would it be, really) = a yes to your question.

Archived