R+L=J v.110

Jon Weirgaryen

By sheer dumb luck, I'm working on my Bran II (GOT) re-read essay and this is how Maester Luwin describes the castle

I think the fact that WF is being compared directly to a tree (and what other kind of tree would it be, really) = a yes to your question.

Would it be possible that, if the weirwood roots grow into the tombs, Bran will be able to see Eddard in front of Lyanna's, Rickards, or Brandon's (or all three, as they are located next to each other) tomb, speaking to said deceased person(s) about the Rebellion and what had happened?

Whilst believing he was alone?

I'm not sure if it is possible for Bran to see only through the eyes of the weirwood tree face, or also through other parts, thus like the roots of the tree..

Would it be possible that, if the weirwood roots grow into the tombs, Bran will be able to see Eddard in front of Lyanna's, Rickards, or Brandon's (or all three, as they are located next to each other) tomb, speaking to said deceased person(s) about the Rebellion and what had happened?

Whilst believing he was alone?

I'm not sure if it is possible for Bran to see only through the eyes of the weirwood tree face, or also through other parts, thus like the roots of the tree..

I think if Bran is as powerful as he is being set up to be, then yes I do believe he might be able to see through the roots. Also, from just a convenient standpoint, this is a nice way for us to get information without GRRM having to give just pages and pages of exposition from third party, like Howland.

Ping-ping, pin-pin.

Apart from Ned's, Lyanna'a and Rhaegar's bones, any other candidates for an interesting spiritistic seance?

Yeah - Qhorin Halfhand. Whose bones may actually be lying around at Castle Black... since Rattleshirt seemed to count them as a high prize, and Mance was glamored with Rattleshirt's, uhm, shirt.

Ping-ping, pin-pin.

Apart from Ned's, Lyanna'a and Rhaegar's bones, any other candidates for an interesting spiritistic seance?

I think Bran is a more likely candidate to be our eyes for seeing any more of the Ned, and Rhaegar was cremated so he's out.

I think if Bran is as powerful as he is being set up to be, then yes I do believe he might be able to see through the roots. Also, from just a convenient standpoint, this is a nice way for us to get information without GRRM having to give just pages and pages of exposition from third party, like Howland.

In that case, besides Bran seeing through the eyes of a weirwood, (and see Ned confessing stuff in the godswood, or Lyanna and Rhaegar together) I can also imagine him seeing Ned in the crypts, speaking to Lyanna's tomb, telling her about her son...

... and all the dead greenseers whose bones are entwined with weirwood roots... which may be the way the memories can be accessed. - Why were the remnants of the cremated wildling put inside a weirwood, anyway?

ETA: Do you think that weirwood roots grow into the Stark tombs under Winterfell?

By sheer dumb luck, I'm working on my Bran II (GOT) re-read essay and this is how Maester Luwin describes the castle

I think the fact that WF is being compared directly to a tree (and what other kind of tree would it be, really) = a yes to your question.

I agree. And as far as what that could mean, remember Bloodraven telling Bran:

“Never fear the darkness, Bran. ... The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother’s milk. Darkness will make you strong.”

What could be darker than a crypt?

We know from Jojen where the spirits of the CotF linger when they die:

"The singers of the forest had no books. No ink, no parchment, no written language. Instead they had the trees, and the weirwoods above all. When they died, they went into the wood, into leaf and limb and root, and the trees remembered. All their songs and spells, their histories and prayers, everything they knew about this world. Maesters will tell you that the weirwoods are sacred to the old gods. The singers believe they are the old gods. When singers die they become part of that godhood.”

But, there is the interesting possibility that spirits of the singers might actually inhabit stone as we see in this exchange with Leaf:

“Where are the rest of you?” Bran asked Leaf, once.

“Gone down into the earth,” she answered. “Into the stones, into the trees."

So if the WF heart tree is in contact with the twisted foundations of WF (which has been likened to a tree, as BQ said) I just wonder about the possibilities of those old Kings of Winter, who have been given quite a bit of animation on page via dreams already and could well have some ancient connection with the CotF, communicating with Bran. Which would also imply that Lyanna, Brandon, and one day Ned, might be able to do the same.

Prince Rhaegar was not in the city to observe them, however. Nor could he be found in Dragonstone with Princess Elia and their young son, Aegon. With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands, not ten leagues from Harrenhal … where Rhaegar would once again come face-to-face with Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, and with her light a fire that would consume his house and kin and all those he loved—and half the realm besides. But that tale is too well-known to warrant repeating here.

http://joannalannister.tumblr.com/post/100737930921/twoiaf-spoilers !!!!

Prince Rhaegar was not in the city to observe them, however. Nor could he be found in Dragonstone with Princess Elia and their young son, Aegon. With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands, not ten leagues from Harrenhal … where Rhaegar would once again come face-to-face with Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, and with her light a fire that would consume his house and kin and all those he loved—and half the realm besides. But that tale is too well-known to warrant repeating here.

http://joannalannister.tumblr.com/post/100737930921/twoiaf-spoilers !!!!

So I've seen joanna's tumblr today, and while she makes some good points, I disagree with the key conclusion she arrives at. I'm just not sure we can discuss it here :(

ETA-- in typical tumblr-n-me hot-mess fashion, i misinterpreted where the faulty conclusion came from. It was actually butterfly, here:

http://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/100741844268/twoiaf-spoilers

I should add that I love both of those ladies, who work really hard for the fandom on tumblr :)

I know... the parts about RHaegar are... wow...

I'm googling and ITS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! <O>

Where can we get this new infos ? Can you post a link apart the one from Joanna tumblr ?

Hi everyone!

Sorry to interrupt the current conversation, but I have a question I hope you can indulge me :)

Is there any consensus on whether all three of Lyanna's brothers knew her to be the KOTLT? (I believe Benjen was in on it from the start, and that Brandon and Ned discovered it during/soon after the event) And that they leaned via Lyanna that Rhaegar knew her identity as well...

(crack pot time) I always thought Brandon's actions were strange if we worked under the assumption that he heard that Rhaegar & Lyanna eloped, considering Ned remembers him as the brother who "knew what to do". I question this because I wonder if this may be a different reason of why Brandon acted in the way that he did. As in, Brandon didn't get a message roughly saying "Prince Rhaegar has kidnapped/eloped with your sister etc" But rather has heard a message along the lines of "Prince Rhaegar has apprehended your sister..." Brandon's thoughts may have leapt to the KOTLT situation and that Rhaeger must have betrayed Lyanna's trust/confidence and revealed her KOTLT identity to King Aerys - who had previously declared her an enemy to the crown - which is why he went to Kingslanding thinking that Rheagar was giving her to the King for, what would have been, her execution.

Or I could be trying to give Brandon too much credit here haha

*fingers in ears about spoilers* LALALALALALALALLALA

Well, put it this way,

it seems to confirm that Rhaegar and Lyanna liked themselves some of each other, which would be a solid point for supporting R+L= legit J IMO.

Don't read the spoiler, but it's just being done to poke the Bear Queen.

That was ambiguous. The information in the spoiler is legitimate. The comment including the spoiler really doesn't contribute a whole lot (although it is true, IMO), but was mainly posted just to Poke the bear (queen)

Hi everyone!

Sorry to interrupt the current conversation, but I have a question I hope you can indulge me :)

Is there any consensus on whether all three of Lyanna's brothers knew her to be the KOTLT? (I believe Benjen was in on it from the start, and that Brandon and Ned discovered it during/soon after the event) And that they leaned via Lyanna that Rhaegar knew her identity as well...

Consensus? Doubtful. I think Ben knew, and I think at some point Ben told Ned. Brandon died ignorant.

Don't read the spoiler, but it's just being done to poke the Bear Queen.

That was ambiguous. The information in the spoiler is legitimate. The comment including the spoiler really doesn't contribute a whole lot (although it is true, IMO), but was mainly posted just to Poke the bear (queen)

Do you know what happens when you poke bears? They hurt you. (or steal a picnic basket; I've never been clear on Bear-Protocols)

Archived