The Red Keep cat mystery

BalerionTheCat

I'm of the opinion that it's just an easter egg. However, if Balerion is being warged then BR is the only candidate since that's the only way it could be relevant to the story.

Let's say hypothetically that Rhaeny's was a warg and some part of her lives on in the cat. Well there's no way for that to be brought up by the narrative, and even if it was somehow a small part of a dead little girls consciousness witnessing some of the events in King's Landing doesn't add anything.

Yes but plenty of people use it as a catch-all term because it's easier to write and less clunky as a verb than "skinchanging."

But it should be called what it is :dunno:

The World Book is clear on this. Skinchanging is any animal. Warg is reserved for those skinchanging into wolves.

But it should be called what it is :dunno:

The World Book is clear on this. Skinchanging is any animal. Warg is reserved for those skinchanging into wolves.

I'm aware of that, thanks. I was actually aware of it even before AWOIAF came out. I explained to you why it's used as shorthand. If you want to be pedantic about it, fine, but I'd say the vast majority of people on here use warging as a catch-all term for the reason I gave.

Pretty sure it's just a badass, fiesty cat - I do think it is Rhaenys' kitten, but that's it. Like everyone else said, an easter egg.

It's age doesn't really prove that it's an unnatural cat, if it was only a kitten when Rhaenys had it then 15-17 years isn't that long - most cats can comfortably live into their twenties.

I'm of the opinion that it's just an easter egg. However, if Balerion is being warged then BR is the only candidate since that's the only way it could be relevant to the story.

Let's say hypothetically that Rhaeny's was a warg and some part of her lives on in the cat. Well there's no way for that to be brought up by the narrative, and even if it was somehow a small part of a dead little girls consciousness witnessing some of the events in King's Landing doesn't add anything.

How else do you explain Balerion stealing a quail from Tywin?

• 4 weeks later...

I also really like the parallel between Balerion, who has a torn ear, and Myrcella, who lost an ear (I always found this strange; her wound must have some significance).

I have not noticed that, but I find the parallel between Balerion and Myrcella ear-wound striking.

And I think Rhaenys could remain in Balerion for that long, if she is helped in some way by BR. Of course she will certainly be quite "savage".

PS: thanks for the fix concerning warg and skinchanger. I will try to use the right words later.

What do you mean?

The kitten was Princess Rhaenys' 15 years ago and it is believed that the Old Tom is that kitten all grown up.

What I mean is that the reader, starting with the first book and taking them in order, encounters the old cat before it's mentioned as the murdered girl's kitten.

Wow, my first thought is let me get your dealers number, but like you said , the cat MUST have some importance so I guess your right. One question though, will Qyburn fix her missing ear? Because Remember, it's supposed to be a younger more beautiful queen. I'd hate to see such a well thought out idea fall apart so easily.

It would actually be better if he didn't. The cat is missing one ear, and so is the girl.

Archived