Getting Spayed

Lily Valley

Ladies! My insurance is changing at the end of the year. Sterilization is currently covered 100%. So after much internal debate I have decided to take my old ass in to get fixed.

My consultation is Monday. What should I ask my surgeon about? Anybody have any last minute thoughts?

I'm getting my tubes tied at the same time as my c-section in 3 weeks!

I'm mostly doing it because if I did become pregnant naturally (not easy for me) it would most likely result in an early miscarriage due to a hormonal imbalance that I have. I don't really want to go through that again and again.

This is my second child and I am not good at pregnancy in general, so I think it's the right decision for me to just be done.

My doctor said that the procedure only adds a minute or two to the whole surgery and is very simple. I've been warned it can cause extra soreness afterwards for a few days to a week.

But since you are getting it done independent of having a baby (I assume) it would probably be entirely different. I'm no help. I hope your appointment goes well! Good luck!

Thanks all.

Chats, that's great input. Whether I go for essure or the laparoscopy I am going to ask for a local anesthesia only. I imagine the essure procedure is horrifically painful. I know having the IUD inserted TOTALLY SUCKED. Essure seems like an IUD procedure on steroids with a lot of places a Doctor could make a wrong turn. Getting cut sounded like the gentler option.

I had read recovery time for ligation was 4-8 DAYS not weeks. Seems like it would be easier (and more fun) to catch Chlamydia and let the bacteria work it's magic.

My mother didn't hit the change until 65. I am sick and tired of switching bc methods as all of them are somewhat dis-satisfactory. I am also tired of losing sleep every time someone in the office goes on the pill and yanks my cycle around so that I'm late. One way or the other this is getting done before the end of the year. With either option I would insist on a dye test to make certain that the factory was closed. The women in my family can borrow a toothbrush and get pregnant.

I am armed with a list of questions for the Doctor. She comes highly recommended and works out of the city's best hospital. I have the Gold Standard of Health Insurance until January 1st. Using this shit. Much appreciation for everyone's input.

Jeyne, Congratulations! Good luck and swift recovery to you!

Having the hysterectomy was a bit more life changing. I mean, they took parts out. Parts that won't come back. No IVF can happen. To be really blunt, my vag is now like a tube sock. It's a dead end. I only have intestines beyond the toe of the sock. On the other hand, orgasm is waaaaay better without that painful cervix in the way. My life hasn't changed one bit, except I can wear white every day!!!!!!! (But never after Labor Day or before Memorial Day. Come on; I'm not a heathen.)

:lol: Great way to describe it.

Good luck Lily! If I had anything resembling a lovelife I might well consider doing similar, now that I'm of an age where doctors are more likely to believe I'm serious about it, so making notes just in case...

Good luck with the surgery. Since I had Alex in a Catholic hospital, I had to have it done as an out patient (6 weeks later). Had my tubes tied, I was out about 25 minutes, I think. Back to work after a 4 day weekend. Only problem was from the tube used to incubate while I was out...I need a fiber optic tube (or something... the regular one really scratched up my throat)

I tried to get a vasectomy at 25. My physician almost laughed at me. He gAve me the whole bullshit story I heard for years about how I will change my mind.

At thirty I was finally able to get a doctor to take me seriously and perform the procedure.

Even know I have people act like I am a crazy person for not wanting kids.

More people really should be sterilized.

Good luck, lily.

That bit about Doctors can be infuriating. I had to shop quite a bit even to get an IUD placed at 21 with a living child. I hope I don't get any sass.

I had this discussion with a few people from here on Facebook the other day. For multiple reasons, I won't be having children, but because I'm 22, doctors won't give me a permanent method. It is indeed infuriating. I hope your consultation goes smoothly.

Eta: I love the word "sass". I may have to start using it more often. Don't you sass me!

She was GREAT. Had a very frank conversation with her. I am going with laparoscopy. Essure has to be done during a certain point in one's cycle. Mine is unpredictable. The general anesthesia is a little worrisome, but it's worth it. Scheduling early/mid december. Recovery around 4 days. I'll be all set by Christmas.

This is a great thread and loads of helpful information. I hope your procedure goes smoothly.

To qualify, I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago due to endometriosis complications. I had asked them to try to spare me at least one ovary if possible because hormones. Sadly, due to endometriosis and scar tissue, uterus and ovaries were all a big blob - so it all had to come out.

Good news - WHITE SHEETS! :wub:

• 1 month later...

OK, I'll admit it. i am in the countdown until surgery. Between the intibation and the anesthesiologist's chuckling offhand remark about how "this one seems to REALLY HURT" I am scared. I am SCARED. Tell me I won't die on the table people. Tell me that my bladder and intestines will still be intact afterwards. It's a good idea right??????

OK, I'll admit it. i am in the countdown until surgery. Between the intibation and the anesthesiologist's chuckling offhand remark about how "this one seems to REALLY HURT" I am scared. I am SCARED. Tell me I won't die on the table people. Tell me that my bladder and intestines will still be intact afterwards. It's a good idea right??????

Haha yeah, Karradins right, everything's gonna be fine. Don't worry, and just think of bottomless mimosas and patrons to match at the country club.

;)

It's still a good idea! You will not die and your parts will all still be there at the end.

I had it done almost a month ago, but obviously it was a little different because there was a 6 lb baby being removed at the same time. Still, I came out ok and my organs are intact. And I never have to worry about birth control ever again! 10/10 would recommend.

Archived