Getting Spayed

Lily Valley

Lily, you're a wonderful person and will make it through just fine. Be strong :grouphug:

OTOH I wouldn't consider this myself because 1. I'm too young and don't even know what I want for dinner tonight let alone make decisions about my life..

2. I do want kids, so I would only do this if I had too many kids or if there was a medical reason for doing so.

Sorry I am going to sound really stupid here but no periods after the procedure, right? That's what I gathered (from all the white pant talk :P )

I'm asking because my mother has had a problem with irregular periods for years, and she has multiple health problems as it is. She had a coil fitted a few years back to regulate them but it only got worse and she had it taken out after a year. I'm wondering if a procedure like this would help. Having further kids is out of the question for her so that's not really an issue to consider. What's the average age for menopause, btw? Is it around 55? If so she's still pretty far off.

Any advice appreciated :) (since this seems like the right thread to ask)

It's 51ish, in the US, if I'm not wrong. But you can have irregular periods around that age, sometimes even 3-4 years before the onset of menopause. Obviously the best person to ask regarding what her course of action should be her Gynaecologist.

Either ways, hope your surgery goes well, Lily :)

OK, I'll admit it. i am in the countdown until surgery. Between the intibation and the anesthesiologist's chuckling offhand remark about how "this one seems to REALLY HURT" I am scared. I am SCARED. Tell me I won't die on the table people. Tell me that my bladder and intestines will still be intact afterwards. It's a good idea right??????

Lily, you'll be fine, you researched this, remember.

I'm thinking of you :grouphug:

OK, I'll admit it. i am in the countdown until surgery. Between the intibation and the anesthesiologist's chuckling offhand remark about how "this one seems to REALLY HURT" I am scared. I am SCARED. Tell me I won't die on the table people. Tell me that my bladder and intestines will still be intact afterwards. It's a good idea right??????

Surgery is scary; of course, you're nervous. But you're going to be fine. Your doctor does this all the time, you're going to have anesthesia, and you'll get some pain meds for the discomfort. It's going to be fine. :)

On a different note, I believe the word 'sass' is a southern thing. As a kid, I got many a whipping for sassing grown ups. I am still known to sass on occasion but my mom can't whip me anymore.

Lily, the one good thing about surgery is that it gives you the excuse to be a slug and watch tv and lie on the sofa. Take advantage of it! If I were down there, I'd make you some food and a big chocolate cake and watch some bad TV with you. Best of luck to you. You're going to be fine.

Your fears are good.

What? Yes. Serious. I had a vasectomy in the summer of 2012, (at 27 years old, already have 2 kids) and in the lead up to it my fears were the surgery itself and the recovery. And that'd good. They are scary things that it isn't unhealthy to worry about. If you was worried about changing your mind, I'd say call it off. But your not. You are worried about the procedure itself. So that's cool. Try to relax, it'll all be fine. You are making the right decision. How do I know that? Easy. You have the right fears.

And honestly? They fucked up my snip. The anesthetic didn't work properly on one side. It was the worst thing I've ever felt. IT was truly horrific. But guess what? If I had to do it every five years, without the anesthetic, it'd STILL be worth it to not have to worry about having baby #3. Or for my wife to have to worry about hormonal birth control fucking with her. Or having to wear a condom.

Sending you lots of good thoughts for your surgery! Surgery is always a big deal so I think its normal to be worried...and in fact I generally worry more about those who go blissfully into surgery without any worries. So I think you are good to go. Listen to your body and take the time you need to recover and heel.

HAHA! Lady N! Skittletits, I'm just having my tubes tied. Everything (should) still function normally. If all goes well, I won't be wearing white pants, hopefully I'l NEVER WEAR PANTS.

My mum didn't hit the change until 65. That's right.....65. So I'll get 25 years of stress reduction out of this, and frankly, the women in my family can THINK about dicks and get pregnant. Grandma used to stay up reading until 3 am as her method of birth control and she still wound up with 6 kids.

Thanks for the pep talk y'all. I've got people coming to check on me and the cable flows at my place. I'll get caught up on Scandal and Key and Peele for a couple of days.

It's a wonderful idea and you are definitely going to be fine. I'm 25 days out for mine however and I'm getting scared too :p

Don't be scared. You'll be the you afterwards that you've always been. In addition, your surgeon , like mine, is an EXPERT and they do it all the time. (Yah yah). That is actually quite comforting for me.

Don't be scared. You'll be the you afterwards that you've always been. In addition, your surgeon , like mine, is an EXPERT and they do it all the time. (Yah yah). That is actually quite comforting for me.

That is a comforting thought. They look at your body as a comprehensible machine they are familiar with and the task is completely routine. I'd wish you luck, Lily, but you don't need it. Everything will be fine.

Lily, the one good thing about surgery is that it gives you the excuse to be a slug and watch tv and lie on the sofa. Take advantage of it! If I were down there, I'd make you some food and a big chocolate cake and watch some bad TV with you. Best of luck to you. You're going to be fine.

Oh no. Your nursey friend wants you up and walking. You will recover sooner. You will hate your nurses for making you get up the day after surgery, but it is for your benefit.

You will do fine Lily!

Oh no. Your nursey friend wants you up and walking. You will recover sooner. You will hate your nurses for making you get up the day after surgery, but it is for your benefit.

You will do fine Lily!

Thanks Bex. I have handlers. Walk Thursday morning it is. Even if I whine. Love you.

I hope my handlers can handle being sworn at :p I imagine I'll be doing almost as much as Lily! Although I'm pretty sure I get the first day just lying around before they start heckling me to get up.

I can drive out this week if you need me to. I don't have to be at work until Friday evening and Sis can stay with Wendy for a couple of days.

Aw thanks Bex! I have people to stay with me. Plenty of food and clean laundry. But THANK YOU!

Home! I didn't die. Surgery was delayed for 3 or 4 hours and recovery took twice as long as it should have as I was sharing a nurse with the highest maintenance patient on planet earth. Pain down to a dull roar thanks to WAY TOO MANY drugs. Family here cooking and helping out. I had the NICEST staff ever. They are all getting chocolate from me once I can move.

Thanks for all the support people. This means....

KARA YOU"RE GONNA BE FINE TOO!!!

Archived