Wow, I never noticed that, v.8

Jon Weirgaryen

The Msnce knows the answer to the riddle, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" ...

"The Others . . . "

"They grow stronger as the days grow shorter and the nights colder. First they kill you, then they send your dead against you. ..."

Jon X, Storm

The Msnce knows the answer to the riddle, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" ...

Jon X, Storm

How does that indicate whether the chicken or the egg came first?

ETA: actually Mance has that wrong. First they kill other people, then they send an army of those dead other people against you. They don't have to send an army against you if they killed you already.

How does that indicate whether the chicken or the egg came first?

ETA: actually Mance has that wrong. First they kill other people, then they send an army of those dead other people against you. They don't have to send an army against you if they killed you already.

Yeah, I guess you're right the reasoning is still pretty circular. Still it sounds to me like the Others strengthen as winter approaches. Perhaps they grow more active during winter? And perhaps their current level of activity suggests (and the plot dictates) that another Long Night is approaching. It'd be interesting to see if there were strange reports from Beyond the Wall during the long and terrible winter of Maekar's reign.

Re killing your people vs other people, the Others killed Waymar then Waymar killed Will, no? And presumably the Others killed Benjen's men and sent them against Castle Black. Jeor was attacked by a mixed force of wighted watchmen and wildings. So I wouldn't say the Mance was wrong.

Wow... Tom of Sevenstreams offered to tell his brothers to release Merret if Merret could answer whether he had seen Sandor or Arya at the Red Wedding. Merret told them what he could about the Red Wedding, but he admitted that he had not heard of Sandor being at the Twins that evening. When he realized that the outlaws were going to hang him anyway, he began to plead for his life, including the following...

"Not murder." His voice was shrill. "It was vengeance, we had a right to our vengeance. It was war. Aegon, we called him Jinglebell, a poor lackwit never hurt anyone, Lady Stark cut his throat. We lost half a hundred men in the camps. Ser Garse Goodbrook, Kyra's husband, and Ser Tytos, Jared's son . . . someone smashed his head in with an axe . . . Starks direwolf killed four of our wolfhounds and tore the kennelmaster's arm off his shoulder, even after wed filled him full of quarrels . . ."

Epilogue, Storm

...I never noticed that Ser Garse Goodbrook, Kyras husband, and Ser Tytos, Jareds son were the ones that Sandor killed before escaping the Red Wedding.

Yeah, I guess you're right the reasoning is still pretty circular. Still it sounds to me like the Others strengthen as winter approaches. Perhaps they grow more active during winter? And perhaps their current level of activity suggests (and the plot dictates) that another Long Night is approaching. It'd be interesting to see if there were strange reports from Beyond the Wall during the long and terrible winter of Maekar's reign.

Re killing your people vs other people, the Others killed Waymar then Waymar killed Will, no? And presumably the Others killed Benjen's men and sent them against Castle Black. Jeor was attacked by a mixed force of wighted watchmen and wildings. So I wouldn't say the Mance was wrong.

I just figured they hibernate for a long time. :D

You're right, I read that wrong.

On to things I just noticed...

"Fire and Blood."

"Dragons plant no trees."

"The dragon takes what he wants."

All those fit rather nicely with the fact that Tarygaryen rhymes with barbarian.

Wow, I never noticed that Bran wasn't mentioned at the feast along with the other Starks in Jon's first chapter in AGoT. I only noticed this because GRRM said it during his talk yesterday about TWOIAF.

Wow. I thought those little absences were the things I'd easily spot and that would then nag at me. Not in Jon I though. Mention is of "his brothers" but only Rickon and Rob are named later. Blimey, that one went wholly unnoticed by me.

Is the talk you refer to somewhere you could link to? Thanks!

eta2: found this one. Is it the one you were referring to?

eta3: yes, it was, it is around 1h29

Just read When littlefinger takes ned to the brothel to see cat

"Ser Rodrik waited below while Littlefinger led him up to the third floor, along a corridor, and through a door"

Can't be a HP reference but still reminded me of third floor corridor

I have a feeling you might be pretty right there.

eta: not believing in coincidences...

Those of you who like the contrasting color allusions will appreciate this (Illyrio explaing how Serra died)...

"A Braavosi trading galley called at Pentos on her way back from the Jade Sea. The Treasure carried cloves and saffron, jet and jade, scarlet samite, green silk ... and the grey death. We slew her oarsmen as they came ashore and burned the ship at anchor, but the rats crept down the oars and paddled to the quay on cold stone feet. The plague took two thousand before it ran its course." Magister Illyrio closed the locket. "I keep her hands in my bedchamber. Her hands that were so soft "

Tyrion II, Dance

Here the George contrasts black and red, black and green, and red and green.

Archived