Acrophilia #3: Results

a free shadow

I got slightly over half of them. I'm not entirely sure if the autocompletion helped or hindered me. E. g., I tried to fill in Mordane, I typed Mor, it autocopleted and in the end I had Mord, but not Mordane. Or remembered Lemore, typed in Lem, it of course filled in Lem Lemoncloak, I didn't really realize it, I remembered him later, tried to fill him in, lost time to find out that I already had him via autocompletion, but didn't realize I didn't have Lemore. On the the other hand you type in Jon or Aegon and get half a douzen characters at once... :dunno:

And I had Ser Hyle and Septon Meribald long before I remembered the existence of this obscure character named Brienne... And who is this Robert Baratheon again? IIRC I accidently guessed him via autocorrection when I really guessed Robert Arryn.

The most often mentioned character among the ones I didn't really didn't get even in the end was Janos Slynt.

Yeah it took me a while before I even realised what it was doing with the autocompletion. I managed to neglect Sansa and Robb! Haha! Serves me right for trying to think up people like Ser Creighton Longbough, Mikken and Jory Cassel. And I also had a few occasions when I tried to type a name in I already had. I think they spelled a few names wrong too, yet one they spelled right - Jhiqui - I was trying to type in wrong!

I sent four that I thought were doubtful and only got one right... and no theme. I doubt my final theme guess and kept the two of four prelims I thought most likely (meaning at least one is wrong).

There were four or five I was seriously confident in and there was next to nothing in common for them. Either I'm wrong on them or I had a mind-block on the theme.

The link a shadowy whitefinch gave us. The 300. I'd link it but I don't have access to my computer. You get 20 minutes to name the 300 most mentioned characters in asoiaf.

I tried it earlier and got exactly 100 (1/3rd), which was pretty good for me, as I don't consider myself to be extremely knowledgable about ASOIAF - just averagely so.

Wasted a full five minutes trying to remember Jaqen's name - which p'd me off no end as he is probably my second favourite character after Arya. Name just wouldn't come. Also, wasted time on the sandsnakes.

A couple I was sure I had typed in didn't show up! Joer and Tommen! Marcella wouldn't go in - so probably had her name wrong.

DG knows his score, because I tried the effects of learning the whole theme on him :blush:

One player has made an observation that I think is crucial for finding it -- in an accidental remark in one of their messages, but so far failed to use it :ninja:

A comment here in the thread, or in a PM to you?

I confess, I was a late one. I work for a power company and we had a severe outage due to storm conditions. As a result, I working 6pm -6 am for three nights and now I'm just waking from zombie status.

Please forgive, and I'll take penalty points if it is required.

So sorry to slow the game down - especially this game. It's my favorite!

I confess, I was a late one. I work for a power company and we had a severe outage due to storm conditions. As a result, I working 6pm -6 am for three nights and now I'm just waking from zombie status.

Please forgive, and I'll take penalty points if it is required.

So sorry to slow the game down - especially this game. It's my favorite!

No worries at all. Ultimately it's just a game and life takes precedence when it has to.

Q, Q, Q, Q, Q, Q, Q...

What are we going to do with you? I mean putting the health and safety of others above the game?

*shakes head*

;)

Looking forward to your zombified answers.

:laugh:

I didn't actually go out and restore power, I simply worked at the Emergency Operations Center and made sure all the IT systems were working properly so the field crews could get the information they needed. But I was still a zombie. :-)

*looks for zombie emoticon* It's a combo of these: :ack: :wacko: :devil: and :eek:

I don't think I was the only player to be late, though - right?

FIRST RESULT

1. Marred his nameday. Birth just terminated mother.
AnswerTyrion
AuthorLeave it to your goat

Author Points: 10 (other guesses were for Jon Snow)
Guessing points: 18
Theme: 0
Favorite clue points: 0
- 1 point for being late
TOTAL: 27

2. Moustachioed hostage’s nutritious breakfast’s just toasted majorera.
AnswerWylis Manderly
AuthorWoofless

Author Points: 9 (other guesses were for Khal Drogo, Rattleshirt, Vargo Hoat)
Guessing points: 27
Favorite clue points: 6 (4 votes + 2 bonus points for reaching '4 and more' votes)
TOTAL: 42

3. Mired homecoming nightmare. Boots jamming, tacky mud.
AnswerArya Stark
Authorredriver

Author Points: 3 (other guesses were for Theon Greyjoy, then Jaime Lannister and one was for Jojen Reed)
Guessing points: 39
Theme: 2
Favorite clue points: 1
TOTAL: 45

4. Misliked harming Northern betrothed. Journeyed towards mortality.
AnswerArys Oakheart
AuthorReek Havoc

Author Points: 3 (other guesses were for Sandor Clegane, Jon Snow, Theon Greyjoy, Tyrion Lannister)
Guessing points: 33
Favorite clue points: 2
TOTAL: 38

5. Sovereign's obligated. Primogeniture? His daughter.
AnswerStannis Baratheon
AuthorEmmit

Author Points: 5 (other guesses were for Doran Martell and Arianne Martell)
TOTAL: 40

6. Slow overland progress hinders destiny.
AnswerDaenerys Targaryen
AuthorFragile Bird

Author Points: 9 (other guesses were for Bran Stark and Stannis Baratheon)
Guessing points: 24
-1 point for being late with the submission of the first clue
TOTAL: 32

7. Scheming operator primes hookers deftly.
Answer Littlefinger
AuthorDolorous Gabe

Author Points: 10 (other guesses were for Robert Baratheon and Varys)
Guessing points: 39
TOTAL: 51

8. Mother's house now broken. Justice to murder.
AnswerCatelyn Stark
AuthorVisenya Stark

Author Points: 6 (other guesses were for Arya Stark, Robert Arryn and one for Sansa Stark)
TOTAL: 24

9. Martial handler nastily baits juvenile trainees; mean-spirited.
AnswerAlliser Thorne
AuthorCastellan

Author Points: 10 (other guesses were for Varys and Jon Snow)
Guessing points: 36
Favorite clue points: 3
TOTAL: 49

10. Sweet offspring plagued. Horrible dermatitis.
AnswerShireen Baratheon
AuthorQ the Cat

Author Points: 10 (other guesses were for Chett and Ramsay Snow)
Guessing points: 27
- 1 point for being late
TOTAL: 38

11. Silly old punk. Hastily decapitated.
AnswerJanos Slynt
Authorlil' ghost

Author Points: 11 (other guess was for Eddard Stark)
Guessing points: 15
TOTAL: 26

12. Serpentine obdurate Prince. Handsome devil!
AnswerOberyn Martell
Authornorthernwarg

Author Points: 13 (all guesses were correct)
Guessing points: 0 (no guesses were submitted)

- 2 points for being late twice
TOTAL: 11

13. Maiden has nice boo...iceps. Joke time mandated.
AnswerBrienne of Tarth
AuthorSer Not Appearing

Author Points: 10 (other guesses were for Qarl the Maid and Osha)
Favorite clue points: 2
TOTAL: 30

14. Sapient oldest professor happy: Dragons!
AnswerMaester Aemon Targaryen
Authoryomi

Author Points: 11
Favorite clue points: 1
TOTAL: 47

THEME – Sailed the Narrow Sea. Nobody got to the full theme and half of the points were awarded for such answers as 'were on a ship' and, after some consideration, 'travelled overseas'. I thought Emmit might have it, when he made a comment that Brienne must have sailed from Tarth to the mainland, in any case, but that did not matter in the end :laugh:

CURRENT STANDINGS

1. Dolorous Gabe 51
2. Castellan 49

3. yomi 47

4. redriver 45

5. Woofless 42

6. Emmit 40

7-8. Reek Havoc 38

7-8. Q the Cat 38

9. Fragile Bird 32

10. Ser Not Appearing 30

11. Leave it to your goat 27

12. lil' ghost 26

13. Visenya Stark 24

14. northernwarg 11

Dolorous Gabe fights skilfully to keep his crown won in the last game, and he does so by correctly guessing all the clues, half the theme and having one of the more guessable clues himself. Castellan very nearly caught up with him though, with her three favorite clue votes and nearly-points-worthy guess 'made long journeys' for the theme. The close third head of the dragon is yomi and right behind her - redriver with Woofless, who got there in quite different ways. Redriver guessed all of the clues and half the theme, but his own poetic clue for Arya went mostly unappreciated, while Woofless made fewer correct guesses, but her own clue was very well received.

Also, Leave it to your goat, playing his first game, made a good start with his clue for Tyrion, even though the only one clue who was guessed correctly by everyone belongs to northernwarg.

Lots of love and affection to you all,

Dolorous Gabe

^I have stolen this signature above from the result post of first game, hosted by Dolorous Gabe, because I do not have any love and affection in me and because it fits with him winning now and the fame getting to his head so much that he gives out autographs :ninja:

Thank you for playing and the next round will be up soon.

Round Two Clues

1. Wise grandmother to many children.

2. Gonads furbelow this matriarch, always clever. Dumb partner.

3. Guardioned, flees to mysterious archipelago, completely disappearing. Poignant...

4. Gold furnished. Took misbegotten ancestral coin. Disappeared permanently.

5. Giant forebear? Tunelessly mumbles and carries damaged progeny.

6. Girl fertile, teary (marriage awful carnage), denouement: pregnant.

7. Guy fastidiously tapped maiden's ass. Couldn't detect pogrom.

8. Guides female through mudflats around cloister domiciling penitents.

9. "Winter's," gentleman talked musingly, "coming."

10. Girl's function: translator. Moreover, actively councils dragons' parent.

11. Winterfell genetics tuneful maintainer,cryptically.

12. Golden fingers to marry? Almost! Carried deceased(?) Prince.

13. Grumpy father, total martinet. Ample commander. Demoralized progeny.

14. Gave fencing tuition maiden always called dancing practice.

Theme: _____________

Be the first in this game to get the theme :ninja:

I have made a clue instead of a player who has not submitted one. They will get no points for this clue, but will still be able to guess the other clues and keep playing, if they'd like to.

The deadline for making your guesses is November 23th, 4 AM Machu Picchu time.

You can once submit your preliminary guesses for the theme and no more than four clues of your choice. I will tell you, if the theme is correct, close to correct or wrong, and how many of your clue guesses are right, but not which ones.

There will be no deadline for the preliminaries as such, but I will be mostly unavailable to answer them :ninja:

Do not forget to name your favorite clue before the deadline, too :pirate: Or else you will not get any favorite clue points yourself :P

The characters for Round Three will be arriving sometime soon or later :ninja:

Clue for Round Three

The clue for round three must be made out of:

DNBRKF

or

FWOFPAB

The deadline is November 23th, 4 AM Machu Picchu time -- the same as making your guesses for the list of the clues of Round Two :ninja: The countdown timer is here.

The private messages will arrive soon or you will have to go find them yourself :ninja:

Archived