Acrophilia #3: Results

a free shadow

Lots of love and affection to you all,

Dolorous Gabe

^I have stolen this signature above from the result post of first game, hosted by Dolorous Gabe, because I do not have any love and affection in me and because it fits with him winning now and the fame getting to his head so much that he gives out autographs :ninja:

Hahaha don't you know who I am?

Is it fame or is it infamy? I'll take it either way!

If sometime you'll need me very much, remember that you can post a chant in this thread and it might help :ninja:

For example:

Might I lose three of my teeth,

If I for no reason disturb here the peace :P

If you are a toothless people and have nothing to lose, you can not use it :pirate:

If you'll say so enough times, I might find time way to answer the questions and preliminaries.

Well, I'll do the traditional commenting on the answers to the revealed clues (and the theme) now...

#1: I also considered Dalla's boy. He fits both the theme and the hint. Tyrion seemed like the more likely character, though, so I guessed him.

#2: I loved how you managed to make such an absolutely non-ambiguous clue for this fairly minor character. Amazing!

#3: I guessed it correctly? So does this refer to Arya's failed return to her mother and brother while it was raining so much?

#4: I got Theon. I also considered Sandor, but he didn't travel by ship. Damnit. This was one of the two clues that hindered me getting the theme completely correctly. Damnit. I should have realized it could not be Theon. Jeyne Poole is much better described as Northern bride than as Northern betrothed, but you said betrothed, so you obviously talked about harming Sansa, but I was too stupid to see.

#8: I guessed Robb for a prelim, thinking of him executing Rickard Karstark and Co for the murder of the Lannister boy prisoners. Being reasonably certain that this was a wrong guess due to getting a 1/4 score in the character prelims, made me consider that it might be true what I feared, i.e. that the theme was something like travelled by ship. Being told that I was "very, very close" with the theme guess than helped me to figure out the clue referred to Catelyn.

#11: I guessed Ned as a prelim, and like with the Robb guess, it helped in getting the theme. The theme was then, too, that made me guess Slynt, as I couldn't remember any other decapitated guys that travelled by ship.

#12: I was so certain that this clue pointed to Oberyn and still I finally choose a theme that probably didn't fit him. Stupid me.

#13: I had Margaery for a prelim and that likely being wrong helped me guess the theme partially. This time my guess of "travelled by ship" didn't help me finding the right answer though, I guessed Qarl the Maid. Well, probably using the word maid or maiden in a clue for him would be against the no-usage-of-names-or-nicknames rule, but I just want him to be an answer... maybe I should just use themes that he fits in my game.

#14: Mine. My first idea was "Sagacious old prince happy: Dragons!", but shadow pointed out that that fitted Doran, too. Another idea was "Made his next brother join the monarchs.", but that was a little too plain for my liking.

Theme: Well, I intended to use a similar theme in my one game. Being quiet sure about Aemon, Oberyn, Shireen, Alliser, Stannis and Wylis Manderly, I realized they would all fit my planned theme. Then I guessed Daenerys, Robb, Ned and Margaery for character prelims and got a 1/4 correct answers back. So I figured that it may well be that the ship travelling Dany was the correct one and the non-shippers (actually Ned travelled must have travelled by ship while fighting Balon's first uprising, but who cares...) the wrong answers, so I reluctantly guessed "travelled by ship" as theme prelim and was told it was close, but missing a specification. I had two specification ideas - the right one which didn't fit my guesses of Theon and Qarl and "during the timeframe of ASOIAF" which didn't fit Oberyn. Sadly, I let two unsure guesses top one sure one and went with "Travelled by ship during the timeframe of the five books".

1. Marred his nameday. Birth just terminated mother.

Answer Tyrion

Had Jon or Tyrion. Fits both pretty equally, assuming R+L=J. Guessed Tyrion in prelims since his is explicitly stated in books. Only had 1 of 4 correct. Decided this was probably one of the wrong ones and changed it. 50/50, I lost.

2. Moustachioed hostages nutritious breakfasts just toasted majorera.

Answer Wylis Manderly

Originally went with Daario because of the moustache. When I looked up majorera I knew I had it wrong. This was my favorite clue because it's very clear and yet not entirely obvious at first... and this for a character who's pretty minor and had to be a difficult clue to write when not referencing his weight.

3. Mired homecoming nightmare. Boots jamming, tacky mud.

Answer: Arya Stark

Went with Theon, who's homecoming was a nightmare and the closest thing to mud was when he had to kneel in it. Tried to think of characters who returned home and has better association with mud and Arya hasn't returned to Winterfell so I ignored her. I see why it fits. I got stuck on real home.

4. Misliked harming Northern betrothed. Journeyed towards mortality.

Answer Arys Oakheart

Guessed Theon even though I recognized she was married and not betrothed when hurt. Didn't think of Aerys, though it fits a bit.

5. Sovereign's obligated. Primogeniture? His daughter.

Answer Stannis Baratheon

Had Doran because of inheritance laws. That's unfortunate because I wasn't sure what the first part meant for Doran and kept trying to think of others. Didn't consider Stannis because I had him fit #6 and was very confident in that. Sovereigns obligated might refer to his Bank of Bravoos deal? Not a bad clue.

6. Slow overland progress hinders destiny.

Answer Daenerys Targaryen

I instantly thought of Stannis and didn't move from it. Had little to no doubt and paid the price. I don't think it fits Dany any better and probably less because it's not moving that's the problem, but her focus... but that's debatable.

7. Scheming operator primes hookers deftly.

Answer Littlefinger

Easy enough.

8. Mother's house now broken. Justice to murder.

Answer Catelyn Stark

I linked it to Catelyn's house destroyed and was looking for someone who would call her mother. Guessed Arya, as she's into murder.

9. Martial handler nastily baits juvenile trainees; mean-spirited.

Answer Alliser Thorne

Pretty simple as clues go.

10. Sweet offspring plagued. Horrible dermatitis.

Answer: Shireen Baratheon

Unfortunately, I didn't connect gray scale and dermatitis. Not a bad clue, really. I was just looking for other skin ailments. Ended up guessing Ramsay with little confidence, in the hopes that the sweet brother was his older half-brother in the author's mind.

11. Silly old punk. Hastily decapitated.

Answer Janos Slynt

Pretty straight forward and clear.

12. Serpentine obdurate Prince. Handsome devil!

Answe: Oberyn

Also thought this was pretty easy.

13. Maiden has nice boo...iceps. Joke time mandated.

Answer: Brienne of Tarth

I also considered: "Monsterously huge ninja babe jaunts towards maidens" but thought it was too easy. I ended up feeling this pointed to Brienne more than other women because of her mannishness and that she is truly treated as a joke more than others (imo).

14. Sapient oldest professor happy: Dragons!

Answer: Maester Aemon Targaryen

Was pretty confident in this one. Easy.

Lesson learned.Make the clue easy.... :laugh:

Well, it depends. In Lady Blizzardborn's game, it wouldn't have been useful, for there were no author points.

Here it certainly helps you to get author points. But a too easy clue might be considered boring by the guessers and thus not receive favourite points. Give us a little work to do. It doesn't need to be thinking and pondering work, just something. Woofless' clue for Wylis Manderly e.g. was totally non-ambiguous, but I needed to google majorera and check the wiki that Wylis had a moustache and Vargo hadn't.

Like SNA I put Theon on both 3 and 4. I was sure he was one of the two.

Clue 3: Arya was the first among many i considered, but I couldn't justify the mud part of the answer. (When we moved to a much smaller apartment 2 years ago, all my books got packed up and are in storage. I play these games from memory only.)

Clue 4: Yeah. Never once even thought of Arys. I have a hard time keeping Arys and Aero separate in my brain. Same thing with Grey Worm and Strong Belwas.

Well, it depends. In Lady Blizzardborn's game, it wouldn't have been useful, for there were no author points.

Here it certainly helps you to get author points. But a too easy clue might be considered boring by the guessers and thus not receive favourite points. Give us a little work to do. It doesn't need to be thinking and pondering work, just something. Woofless' clue for Wylis Manderly e.g. was totally non-ambiguous, but I needed to google majorera and check the wiki that Wylis had a moustache and Vargo hadn't.

Seems to me you provide a simple clue,you're guaranteed 13 points.Favourite can only give you 4 max.

Besides make the clue funny or witty ,you might be in with a shout anyway..

To explain the Arya clue,it's simply a dream she has in Clash,I think,where she's approaching Winterfell but the nearer she gets the stickier the mud gets until she's swallowed by the mud with her home in sight.

Easy if you recall the passage,maybe difficult to research if you don't.

1. Marred his nameday. Birth just terminated mother.

Answer Tyrion

Had Jon or Tyrion. Fits both pretty equally, assuming R+L=J. Guessed Tyrion in prelims since his is explicitly stated in books. Only had 1 of 4 correct. Decided this was probably one of the wrong ones and changed it. 50/50, I lost.

Got this one right off

2. Moustachioed hostages nutritious breakfasts just toasted majorera.

Answer Wylis Manderly

Originally went with Daario because of the moustache. When I looked up majorera I knew I had it wrong. This was my favorite clue because it's very clear and yet not entirely obvious at first... and this for a character who's pretty minor and had to be a difficult clue to write when not referencing his weight.

3. Mired homecoming nightmare. Boots jamming, tacky mud.

Answer: Arya Stark

Went with Theon, who's homecoming was a nightmare and the closest thing to mud was when he had to kneel in it. Tried to think of characters who returned home and has better association with mud and Arya hasn't returned to Winterfell so I ignored her. I see why it fits. I got stuck on real home.

I had no idea and googled muddy boots and the only person who came up was Barristan when he came back to KL in disguise - after prelims (when I was told that I got nothing right - I threw in Jaime, as I had no clue.

4. Misliked harming Northern betrothed. Journeyed towards mortality.

Answer Arys Oakheart

Guessed Theon even though I recognized she was married and not betrothed when hurt. Didn't think of Aerys, though it fits a bit.

Had Sandor not wanting to hurt Sansa for Joff in prelims, then tried Jon Snow not liking the Karstark intended match.

Answer Stannis Baratheon

Had Doran because of inheritance laws. That's unfortunate because I wasn't sure what the first part meant for Doran and kept trying to think of others. Didn't consider Stannis because I had him fit #6 and was very confident in that. Sovereigns obligated might refer to his Bank of Bravoos deal? Not a bad clue.

Had Doran in prelims and then thought it might be referring to Arianne - as quite often I get it wrong as to which way the clue is to be read.

6. Slow overland progress hinders destiny.

Answer Daenerys Targaryen

I instantly thought of Stannis and didn't move from it. Had little to no doubt and paid the price. I don't think it fits Dany any better and probably less because it's not moving that's the problem, but her focus... but that's debatable.

One of the few I got right.

7. Scheming operator primes hookers deftly.

Answer Littlefinger

Easy enough.

8. Mother's house now broken. Justice to murder.

Answer Catelyn Stark

I linked it to Catelyn's house destroyed and was looking for someone who would call her mother. Guessed Arya, as she's into murder.

Like you I thought this was referring to someone who had a mother whose house was now broken, so I too guessed Arya first and then Sansa.

9. Martial handler nastily baits juvenile trainees; mean-spirited.

Answer Alliser Thorne

Pretty simple as clues go.

10. Sweet offspring plagued. Horrible dermatitis.

Answer: Shireen Baratheon

Unfortunately, I didn't connect gray scale and dermatitis. Not a bad clue, really. I was just looking for other skin ailments. Ended up guessing Ramsay with little confidence, in the hopes that the sweet brother was his older half-brother in the author's mind.

Another one that I got. Thought it was a good clue.

11. Silly old punk. Hastily decapitated.

Answer Janos Slynt

Pretty straight forward and clear.

12. Serpentine obdurate Prince. Handsome devil!

Answe: Oberyn

Also thought this was pretty easy.

13. Maiden has nice boo...iceps. Joke time mandated.

Answer: Brienne of Tarth

I also considered: "Monsterously huge ninja babe jaunts towards maidens" but thought it was too easy. I ended up feeling this pointed to Brienne more than other women because of her mannishness and that she is truly treated as a joke more than others (imo).

LMAO with your alternate. Anyway good clue

14. Sapient oldest professor happy: Dragons!

Answer: Maester Aemon Targaryen

Was pretty confident in this one. Easy. Yes, nice clue.

Answer – Stannis Baratheon

Author – Emmit

Author Points: 5 (other guesses were for Doran Martell and Arianne Martell)

So only 5 people guessed my clue. Durn.

Isn't it funny how easy the clues seem when you know the answer? Honestly I thought the word "obligated" was the give away.

It's a reference to the fact he doesn't want to be king (or so he lies to himself,) but feels it's his obligation. And its also a tiny tip of the hat to the "Ask Stannis" thread here in Forum Games where one of the jokes is Stannis's marital obligation to his wife.

Author – Emmit

Isn't it funny how easy the clues seem when you know the answer? Honestly I thought the word "obligated" was the give away.

It's a reference to the fact he doesn't want to be king (or so he lies to himself,) but feels it's his obligation. And its also a tiny tip of the hat to the "Ask Stannis" thread here in Forum Games where one of the jokes is Stannis's marital obligation to his wife.

I must admit Emmit that the word 'obligated' gave me pause - but because I was dead set on Dorne, I passed over it.

Sorry.

Seems to me you provide a simple clue,you're guaranteed 13 points.Favourite can only give you 4 max.

Besides make the clue funny or witty ,you might be in with a shout anyway..

Well... guaranteed points... I recall making clues I found completely easy and many people didn't get them... And if everyone votes your clue for favourite you would get 16 or 18 points (I'm not entirely sure how to understand shadowfinch's opening post).

But, yes, the best way is to make a basically easy clue that is either funny or contains stuff that people need to check up.

To explain the Arya clue,it's simply a dream she has in Clash,I think,where she's approaching Winterfell but the nearer she gets the stickier the mud gets until she's swallowed by the mud with her home in sight.

Easy if you recall the passage,maybe difficult to research if you don't.

Ah, I don't remember that dream, but I thought it refered to the failed family reunion due to th RW, so I guessed her anyway, just was very skeptical about it being right.

Author – Emmit

If it's any consolation for you, that's how I understood it. Stannis feeling obligated to be king because of the law and feeling he cannot simply abdicate and leave the throne to Renly because that would be against his obligation to his daughter and true heir. And Stannis generally being so dutyful. Obligation equaled Stannis in my mind.

I lied.

I eventually changed to Sandor on 4 because I didn't want Theon on multiple and... ugh... up until right now I read it as 'morality' and not 'mortality'.

I read mortality just right and thought it referred to Theon starting to see a honourable death as deliverance.

I considered it might refer to "the Hound" being dead, too.

Yeah not been able to spend a great deal of time on them this week but I have no sensible idea on the theme and only feel confident on half of them at most.

Not got a clue wrong yet so I'll spend some time on them on Friday and see if I can keep that run going. I'll need a lot of luck on these ones though!

Archived