Acrophilia #3: Results

a free shadow

I just wanted to say that I think the clue for Arya was simply brilliant -- it had all kinds of angles and all that pointed primarily to Arya :ninja:

And if everyone votes your clue for favourite you would get 16 or 18 points (I'm not entirely sure how to understand shadowfinch's opening post).

It is 16, though I do understand where my explanation in the first post is unclear.

Shadow is usually completely unavailable Tuesday and Wednesday. She's usually back in action on Thursdays.

This is inaccurate. That much inaccurate that I might have almost minded it this time just to make the inaccuracy less statistically accurate :ninja:

This is inaccurate. That much inaccurate that I might have almost minded it this time just to make the inaccuracy less statistically accurate :ninja:

I believe today is Thursday, and you're back and available after a few days of inactivity. Sorry, am I too close to cracking the enigma?

I am sorry to disagree with you, shadow, but I thought using the word Homecoming was very misleading. I had immediately thought of Arya, but just as immediately dismissed it, because the Twins is not Arya's home. If the first 2 letters had been FR and the player had said "Family Reunion", I would have agreed it was brilliant. But with the use of Homecoming, I was racking my brains for characters that came home. ie Theon

I was worried my Dany clue could be interpreted as Bran, but Bran got to where he was going and Dany had not, even at the end of Dance. People constantly complained about Dany's journey, which was much longer than Bran's. Stannis never ever even crossed my mind. I can see it now, but I did not see it before. I did not think I had been so tough with my clue.

There is a word in the entry #3, that is not exactly a word you are used to although it is common in Sothoryos, but the author used it and that might clue you in what they meant, though if in doubt you can look up 'guardianed'.

I was also asked if the things mentioned in the clues are strictly facts from the books or if some include theories and TV show stuff. Particularly the pregnancy in the clue #6. I can not answer this in other way than saying that I do try and fail to make sure a clue has enough in it to lead firstly towards the designated character.

I believe today is Thursday, and you're back and available after a few days of inactivity. Sorry, am I too close to cracking the enigma?

No, you are not close. If you were, I would have shown up only next Tuesday. That is what I am saying :ninja: This is how my honesty is received :frown5: I like this mistrust though :laugh: It is inconsequential though.

I am sorry to disagree with you, shadow, but I thought using the word Homecoming was very misleading. I had immediately thought of Arya, but just as immediately dismissed it, because the Twins is not Arya's home. If the first 2 letters had been FR and the player had said "Family Reunion", I would have agreed it was brilliant. But with the use of Homecoming, I was racking my brains for characters that came home. ie Theon

As a future player, I would not like such clues to disappear. 'Homecoming nightmare' hints that it was not exactly a successfull attempt and nobody had their path home diverted as many times as Arya. And then there is the additional layer of the dream that redriver mentioned.

So I thought to say that if someone will ever be up for making such clues, I will always like them :ninja:

I was worried my Dany clue could be interpreted as Bran, but Bran got to where he was going and Dany had not, even at the end of Dance. People constantly complained about Dany's journey, which was much longer than Bran's. Stannis never ever even crossed my mind. I can see it now, but I did not see it before. I did not think I had been so tough with my clue.

What exactly has the "Twins" to do with anything?There was no reference to the place in the clue."Homecoming" referred to Arya's home which is Winterfell and the clue was pretty much a literal recounting of a dream she had.The use of the word "nightmare" was meant to clue players in to the idea it was a dream.

I was also asked if the things mentioned in the clues are strictly facts from the books or if some include theories and TV show stuff. Particularly the pregnancy in the clue #6. I can not answer this in other way than saying that I do try and fail to make sure a clue has enough in it to lead firstly towards the designated character.

*sigh*

Boss, you didn't answer the question at all. We asked a yes or no question and you replied, "Clarinet".

*toot, toot*

*sigh*

Boss, you didn't answer the question at all. We asked a yes or no question and you replied, "Clarinet".

*toot, toot*

While my answer is not exactly straightforward, it has certain implications, if you have some very foolish faith in what I say :ninja:

I can not answer anything like that about a specific clue more eloquently, because it gives advantage to both a particular player who has a specific issue with it and the author who gets more author points for the potentially more correct guess(es).

To answer it generally, I can only repeat that the things forbidden are names, aliases, coats of arms, though also intentionally misleading clues.

Edit: And everyone has to decide for themselves if they believe another player has used wider material than facts from the books to word their clue like they did and if the host saw it fitting to list such clue.

While my answer is not exactly straightforward, it has certain implications, if you have some very foolish faith in what I say :ninja:

I can not answer anything like that about a specific clue more eloquently, because it gives advantage to both a particular player who has a specific issue with it and the author who gets more author points for the potentially more correct guess(es).

To answer it generally, I can only repeat that the things forbidden are names, aliases, coats of arms, though also intentionally misleading clues.

Edit: And everyone has to decide for themselves if they believe another player has used wider material than facts from the books to word their clue like they did and if the host saw it fitting to list such clue.

This is where Lady B's system afforded more freedom to the host in helping the players. Authors have their own responsibility in this system. If you make it unclear, you will suffer for it with a lack of author points. The host can't give extra help on specific clues because it helps the author as well as the guesser. If you can't get the right answer, the author of that clue suffers as well.

Please cut the host some slack, everyone.

I am seeing some lists that are in the works now, and I thought I'd stress this -- some authors were straightforward, some relied more on certain significant details and layers, but they all want you to get their clues, they wrote the information in, so if you have a guess and you feel it does not really add up or that it is a stretch, that feeling might just be right, but you should not dismiss the clue as being faulty before trying to look at it from any new perspective for finding the right answer.

What adds to this, I think, is that very many character guesses are made from a quite small pool of characters - for an imaginary example, a player would rather guess 'Varys', even if it 'does not feel right', than think back to Areo Hotah or Bran the Builder.

It does not mean that you must have all these current and historical characters at your fingertips, to make the correct guesses, but if, for another imaginary example, you come across a clue 'launched a thousand ships' and you realize that it feels like an exaggeration for Euron Greyjoy or Stannis Baratheon, you might want to reason further and search your way to Queen Nymeria of Rhoyanar.

Everyone can play as they want, of course, but I thought this advice might be useful, too :ninja: Luck.

Archived