Acrophilia #3: Results

a free shadow

Emmit I think it was a perfect clue!

I didn't get it right - I guessed Gerion - but, when I read the answer it was head-smacking time for being so obtuse and overlooking Tysha. She just never entered my head. The clue was great though.

Congratulations Castellan and Fragile Bird. Great scores in a tough round!

I was all over the place with ideas for the theme: Fan favorite? Teacher or student? Orphaned - no living parent? Has seen dragonglass? Not been north of the wall?

#1 - EASY. Probably easier because #2 was mine.

#2 - Mine, I didn't even think it could have been seen as anyone else. Genna is a good guess, too. I thought riding a horse off of a climb is rather 'dumb'. Certainly Olenna thought he was dumb. As always, I think I submit a 100% perfectly guessable clue - wrong again.

#4 - Didn’t even think of Tysha! I guessed Arya in prelims, then went with Pate. I even re-read the prologue with his POV.

#6 - Denoument had me thinking of the season 1 finale, so I was certain this was Dany.

#7 EASY Great clue, in the running for my favorite.

# 8 EASY - My favorite!

#11 - I was WAY OFF. Like someone else said, I was not looking back in ‘history’ I started with Osha in the prelims then went with Mance.

#12 - I was looking for what deceased prince could have been carried. I was pretty close, as I narrowed down the deceased princes to Aegon, Oberyn, Quentyn. But I was mis-reading the phrasing as the clue had golden fingers, not that the clue was to marry golden fingers. Alas.

#13- I thought this was easy, Tywin. WRONG AGAIN! :-)

#14 - EASY, and was also in the running for my favorite.

It's funny about what is and is not a hard clue. For example, I immediately thought of Nan when I read clue 1, but Nan is so old she's a great-grandmother, or a great-great-grandmother, so I dismissed this idea and went with the Queen of Thorns, since Margaery Tyrell always talks about her wise grandmother. Then, with clue 2, I guessed Cersei. She has children, so she's a matriarch, and she constantly says she should have been born a man, and she does ballsy stuff, like murder her husband and eliminate others without much thought. After all, it's suggested she committed her first murder at, what, 12? And the gods know, Robert was pretty stupid. :D

And then Tysha. Who got paid in gold, and in ancestral gold? Had to be Lannister gold from that alone. Varys crossed my mind, but he didn't take the coin, which wasn't a Lannister coin, he left it behind, and he didn't disappear permanently. I honestly couldn't think of anyone else who fit.

Other clues that gave people a hard time. Bael. I figured cryptically meant the crypts played a part, and none of the ones hidden in modern times were known for singing. The only other character associated with the crypts was Bael.

Golden fingers clue. Once again, gold = Lannisters. The day someone else uses gold for another character I'm lost. :P Then when you add the word Prince, the only princes in Westeros are royal.

Edmure. There were lots of jokes about him being so busy he missed the Red Wedding events. I took the phrase to be a oblique reference to sex. There were other brutal killings in the books, but no other characters who didn't notice them going on.

As for my clue, Shadow did step in with the correction of the spelling. But if you thought it was a mutation of the word "guard" instead, well, Osha did guard Rickon. Archipelagos are islands, was that the misleading word? I have an image of Skagos as a rocky island surround by little rocky islands where people sank their ships. Rickon has disappeared pretty much since he left Winterfell. And he cried when he left his brother....

ETA: The theme. With the wrong 1st 2 clues, I simply couldn't notice the phrasing, but even if I had them, the idea was so unique I'm not sure I would have seen it. Clever idea. In my very first PM to Shadow I told her I was afraid. :P

BUT if I have effed up this third clue, I am going to the Where's Waldo? fan site... and staying.

Please don't! I might have needed an explanation to your clue this round (but I've a cold and my brain feels a little numb, so it's probably me), but I thought your clue in the first round was really good. I really hope now I'll get your third clue so that I don't have to miss you next game.

I got your clue eventually FB, but it took me a while. For some time I was working under the assumption that mysterious archipelago was a reference to Valyria. Archipelago to me meant a cluster of islands rather than one island on its own. I was thinking Gerion Lannister first but couldn't figure out how "guardioned" fit. I tried it in my prelims and decided it was probably one of the wrong ones. I then started thinking of other clusters of islands and disappearing people, which led me to both Rickon and Edric Storm. To me it could have been either of them, since Edric fled to an archipelago (the Stepstones) with a guardian. It was only noticing that "poignant" could refer to him and Bran going their separate ways that led me to pick Rickon.

I do like the clue though, just because it got me seriously thinking. Usually if I spend enough time on them I work out what people are trying to tell me, I just didn't have a great deal of time this past week and the time I had was blighted by extreme tiredness. That's my excuse anyway!

1. Wise grandmother to many children.
Answer – Old Nan

Author – Visenya Stark

I got this one correct.

2. Gonads furbelow this matriarch, always clever. Dumb partner.
Answer – Olena Tyrell
Author – Q the Cat

I got this one correct... My vote for favorite clue.

3. Guardioned, flees to mysterious archipelago, completely disappearing. Poignant...
Answer – Rickon Stark
Author – Fragile Bird

My choices were Jon Connington and Aurane Water. I went with JC. I don't see Skagos as an archipelago. And the Wiki/Google didn't see it as one either

4. Gold furnished. Took misbegotten ancestral coin. Disappeared permanently.
Answer – Tysha
Author – Emmit

5. Giant forebear? Tunelessly mumbles and carries damaged progeny.
Answer – Hodor
Author – Dolorous Gabe

I got this one correct, super easy.

6. Girl fertile, teary (marriage awful carnage), denouement: pregnant.
Answer – Roslin Frey
Author – Castellan

I actually got this one right (in a flash of inspiration.) But Jeyene W. Stark... well, I was sure she was the answer and she isn't pregnant that we know of in the books.

7. Guy fastidiously tapped maiden's ass. Couldn't detect pogrom.
Answer – Edmure Tully
Author – Ser Not Appearing

I got this one correct.

8. Guides female through mudflats around cloister domiciling penitents.
Answer – Septon Meribald
Author – Woofless

I went with Sandor Clegane. I don't know that part of the story real well I guess.

9. "Winter's," gentleman talked musingly, "coming."
Answer – Eddard Stark
Author – a shadow

I got this one correct, but it was a total guess. If musingly is supposed to indicated Ned, I didn't see it.

10. Girl's function: translator. Moreover, actively councils dragons' parent.
Answer – Missandei
Author – Leave it to your goat

I got this one correct.

11. Winterfell genetics tuneful maintainer,cryptically.
Answer – Bael the Bard
Author – redriver

So, I put Mance Rayder. He is the one who tells the tale of Bael the Bard, no? I knew the reference, (but couldn't recall the actual name.)

12. Golden fingers to marry? Almost! Carried deceased(?) Prince.
Answer – Elia Martell
Author – Reek Havoc

I stressed about this question the most, actually. I eventually went with Petyr Baelish (as the almost dead prince would be Sweet Robin.) I never would have gotten Elia Martell.

13. Grumpy father, total martinet. Ample commander. Demoralized progeny.
Answer – Randyll Tarly
Author – lil' ghost

I got this one correct.

14. Gave fencing tuition maiden always called dancing practice.
Answer – Syrio Forel
Author – yomi

I got this one correct.

THEME – I put down characters with unknown mothers (meaning Edmure would have been wrong) during prelims. So I knew it was wrong, but I didn't bother to change it. I really had no hope of getting the theme. Much, much too far outside my box, I am afraid

Ygritte tells the tale of Bael the Bard to Jon Snow.In the story the Starks are about to go extinct.Bael extends their permanence by getting a Stark daughter pregnant hiding both themselves in the crypts.Hence "cryptically".Hence "Winterfell genetic maintainer".Hence "Tuneful" which was an obscure reference to singing songs.

I loved your clue, but to be fair, a Winterfell genetics maintainer doesn't need to father any Stark. Actually, my first mental image was someone recording the Stark familiy tree.

Emmit, why are you working from memory? Use the wiki! You knew it had to do with the Winterfell crypts, right? Bael is mentioned on their page: "According to free folk legend, Bael the Bard disappeared from Winterfell with the daughter of Lord Brandon Stark. The daughter eventually reappeared with an infant, a future Lord Stark, with the legend claiming that they had hid within the crypt."

Lol... Rheagar is dead.

I read it as maintaining the *tune* about Winterfell's genetics.

Again, I remembered the story of a KBtW and a Stark daughter... and the son killing the father. It was just the name Bael that escaped me.

I loved your clue, but to be fair, a Winterfell genetics maintainer doesn't need to father any Stark. Actually, my first mental image was someone recording the Stark familiy tree.

Emmit, why are you working from memory? Use the wiki! You knew it had to do with the Winterfell crypts, right? Bael is mentioned on their page: "According to free folk legend, Bael the Bard disappeared from Winterfell with the daughter of Lord Brandon Stark. The daughter eventually reappeared with an infant, a future Lord Stark, with the legend claiming that they had hid within the crypt."

Ummm, no. I didn't remember the crypts. The name Bael and the crypts (and any other detail that I haven't mentioned) is what I forgot.

Sorry if I'm being a smartass, I just want to give advice, but there is a wiki page in that case, too

Again, I remembered the story of a KBtW and a Stark daughter... and the son killing the father. It was just the name Bael that escaped me.

Archived