Ran on TWoIaF and more|Reddit AMA

Moondancer

Why should I argue so hard against something that has very little going in it's favor other then a few (in my opinion) misinterpreted lines of dialogue. It should be on the person defending the theory to prove it, but apparently now the onus is on the disbeliever to disprove it and if there is nothing in the text that explicitly disproves it then the defender walks away saying "see, they couldn't prove it DIDN'T happen."

Quaithe is Rhaegar

Quaithe is Shiera Seastar

GNC

Tywin poisoned by Oberyn

and so on...

<snip>

Damn, I need to decide, order now on the net or.....go to store tomorrow.

I'm torn as well...I don't live/work near a good bookstore anymore since several has closed down. I may try to take a long lunch break and see if I can get it...if not...I'll get it on my iPad. Eventually I want Hardback versions of all the books and electronic versions...they are much easier to search.

I don't have to "prove" it because I freely admit the evidence is not conclusive. The case has been presented and I find it consistent enough with the information that we do have about motive/opportunity of Oberyn, plus that no evidence to invalidate the theory, that I believe it. And in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because everyone involved is dead, and I'm not predicting anything in the future will happen because the theory is true.

This is not the same as the other theories such as GNC or HR=HS because those theories are all about predicting future developments.

I'm like 5 minutes from the local Barnes and Noble, I'll be parked outside, coffee in hand, waiting for them to open at 9am!

Ha!

I live out in the country in North Texas just outside a small town. I work on the north side of Fort Worth, TX...no good bookstore near my office. May do a search and see if there is anything I can get to easily on my lunch.

I'm like 5 minutes from the local Barnes and Noble, I'll be parked outside, coffee in hand, waiting for them to open at 9am!

I'm not far from one either, 5 minutes, the way I drive.

I'm torn as well...I don't live/work near a good bookstore anymore since several has closed down. I may try to take a long lunch break and see if I can get it...if not...I'll get it on my iPad. Eventually I want Hardback versions of all the books and electronic versions...they are much easier to search.

I miss the smaller type, local book seller. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Barnes and Noble, but it's a shame that the idea of the local bookstore is almost nonexistant anymore. I have a kindle here that is my daughter's, neither of us know what the hell to do with it. I'm all for real books, not apps and such. I know, tree killer and all, but I love a real book, the feel, the look, etc. Besides, this is supposed to be a good coffee table book, right? What good is a coffee table APP?

To keep it a bit OT, LOL: Is there any other interviews, or Q&A;s from Ran and Linda elsewhere for the book? I'm just wondering if there's another site with information we haven't found yet. This day could go down in history if we can debunk enough theories, LOL

Never gotten the appeal of the Tywin-got-poisoned-theory. Glad to see that Ran and Linda also have their doubts.

Its an unnecessary and bare theory. Never understood why so many believe it tbh. And while duh Ran isn't GRRM and his opinion isn't gospel I still value it over others so it does make me happy that he too thinks its a bs.theory.

Oberyn may have had a motive for a poisoning attempt, but opportunity? Most likely not. If Tywin was stupid enough to allow the Martells to bribe his cooks and servants he would be pretty stupid.

Varys could have done it, but why would he, really? He is good with a crossbow and has access to the Hand's bedchamber...

So the 'Lyanna is the Quaithe' theory could still happen... :smug:

But yeah...I take them calling these "awesome" theories BS as proof enough.

The Hand speaks with the King's voice.

:) Exactly!

I think some of my least favorite theories are the "Lyanna and Rhaegar survived" ones. They have to be dead or ASOIAF doesn't work.

Hey, we still have Mance is Rhaegar, right? LOL

LOL, yeah... Can we know say that this theory might be right because Ran and Linda didn't call it BS. In several occasion, Ran drew a clear line of what he knows and what he doesn't, and I believe that he is honest enough to admit that. That is why I find this wording problematic. It is not that it crosses the line of one man's opinion, but now we have people taking it as a proof. I agree with him on most of those occasions, and I have called one of those theories BS far too many times, but even Ran would agree with me that ultimately that answer should be taken as his opinion, not as some version of SSM. Regardless of how accurate it may be. Unless those opinions are based on some info we haven't been privy to and they did.

P.S. I hate discussing about third-party when they are not around... Apologies for that.

I'm not far from one either, 5 minutes, the way I drive.

I hate you all... I live in country where it isn't available that quick... :crying: :crying: :crying:

LOL, yeah... Can we know say that this theory might be right because Ran and Linda didn't call it BS. In several occasion, Ran drew a clear line of what he knows and what he doesn't, and I believe that he is honest enough to admit that. That is why I find this wording problematic. It is not that it crosses the line of one man's opinion, but now we have people taking it as a proof. I agree with him on most of those occasions, and I have called one of those theories BS far too many times, but even Ran would agree with me that ultimately that answer should be taken as his opinion, not as some version of SSM. Regardless of how accurate it may be. Unless those opinions are based on some info we haven't been privy to and they did.

P.S. I hate discussing about third-party when they are not around... Apologies for that.

I hate you all... I live in country where it isn't available that quick... :crying: :crying: :crying:

I couldn't even tell you who came up with Mance is Rhaegar, truthfully, I was just trying to find something that was outlandish, but not debunked. I wasn't trying to talk about a third party, just mentioning a questionable theory that I happened to remember. Contrary to some popular opinion around here, not all of us read every outlandish bit of theorizing or opinion that has managed to grace the forums with it's presence. I do think it is noteworthy, though, that the writers seemed comfortable outing some of these ideas as big NOs. I do think it's because of GRRM himself that many theories, believable or otherwise, manage to last. The author seems to hold onto too many of the mysteries, IMO, and it leads to a lot of conjecture. We still have things like Tywin and Shae up in the air, for example, GRRM recently noting in an interview that there could be more to the situation that it first appeared. Leaving too much dangling for too long leads to much over theorizing, I think. As much as what is outed as disliked by the writers, or NOs, it's also interesting to note that they like the idea of Ashara is Quaithe, but still only call it a theory.

ETA: Also, I can't help but picture a big ole laugh fest between GRRM and Ran and Linda at some of these theories, though. Then again, maybe that just speaks about my own enjoyment of a good laugh.

Good luck getting your hands on the book soon, though. I wish you well.

I would love to be able to support a small, local bookstore, except the only one in my city is owned by a giant prick whom I could not, in good conscience, support.

B&N was one of my first jobs, I love to support them as they were good to me. And I live right by the one I worked at, which I helped launch, so fond memories indeed.

Its an unnecessary and bare theory. Never understood why so many believe it tbh. And while duh Ran isn't GRRM and his opinion isn't gospel I still value it over others so it does make me happy that he too thinks its a bs.theory.

:agree: I also never got the point of it all. What does that theory actually add to the story? Nothing really, if anything it detracts a little from what we have without it.

Archived