Ran on TWoIaF and more|Reddit AMA

Moondancer

If Oberyn could mess up one poison to extend the agony of his victim, why not another?

I clearly doubt Oby's potential to extend Tywin's suffering until the collapse of House Lannister. He's not a wizard.

Btw this is an extract released by Vulture. About RR, I do warn you all though, you'll probably hate Yaendel when you get to the end http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/game-of-thrones-compendium-roberts-rebellion-world-of-ice-and-fire.html

Knifes? How quaint of you :P I'd advise you to upgrade your arsenal, otherwise this might happen to you when the day comes :P

I'm a lady, I like my daggers(?)

(and I loved everything about RR and HH :P)

HOLY CRAP...I go away for a 2 hour meeting...and people are about to riot!

RIOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! \o/

Oh, you have simultaniously mastered the technique of ad hominem and strawmanning. Very good! Don't let Swiper take that special power away from you. Seriously though, the adoption comparison makes no sense at all.

This is perhaps the laziest (not to mention flawed) analogy I have seen since Rahul Gandhi's 'Politics is everywhere. It's in your shirt, it's in your pants. It's everywhere.' Tyrion, if Aerys bastard, wasn't adopted by Tywin. Furthermore, this is Westeros, where people live and die because of their lineage, not 21st century USA or whatever place you sprung forward from.

I sprung from the 20th century. Lineage is BS. Convenient BS. If you don't catch your wife cheating you have to accept that the offspring is yours. Even if all your forefathers have black hair and all your three children have blond hair. That's lineage for you.

That is the basic concept of marriage since the dawn of time. The children are the offspring of the father. Period. That's how every law worked until the inventions of medical tests for paternity.

Nah, didn't mean anyone specifically. But I've been involved in fandoms long enough to know how protective people get when theier theories are debunked by canon. Damn, I've been there too.

sure. But that's sort of the concern I'm having in terms of the general tone and responses. Ran's opinion isn't canon, but it looks like many are taking it as such, and doing so without knowing his rationale behind it.

I'm a lady, I like my daggers(?)

(and I loved everything about RR and HH :P)

Even this part, I'd like to slap Yaendel after this

The Red Keep was soon breached, but in the chaos, misfortune soon fell upon Elia of Dorne and her children, Rhaenys and Aegon. It is tragic that the blood spilled in war may as readily be innocent as it is guilty, and that those who ravished and murdered Princess Elia escaped justice. It is not known who murdered Princess Rhaenys in her bed, or smashed the infant Prince Aegon’s head against a wall. Some whisper it was done at Aerys’s own command when he learned that Lord Lannister had taken up Robert’s cause,

while others suggest that Elia did it herself for fear of what would happen to her children in the hands of her dead husband’s enemies.

sure. But that's sort of the concern I'm having in terms of the general tone and responses. Ran's opinion isn't canon, but it looks like many are taking it as such, and doing so without knowing his rationale behind it.

I accept it because most of the theories they called BS I wasn't convinced they were true in the first place...and those theories always seemed a little thin.

So I accept their word that they are BS as proof they are BS. It's my theory that they know more than I do regarding ASoIaF...so I defer to them.

Nah, didn't mean anyone specifically. But I've been involved in fandoms long enough to know how protective people get when theier theories are debunked by canon. Damn, I've been there too.

Well, given that I have rather similar views as Ran on the mentioned theories, this is not about some of my pet theories being debunked. This is about the principle, about the thing that we can't just say "Ran said that or that" whenever we disagree. Nor do I believe Ran wants something like that for this board. I mean, what is the point of discussion if everything can come down to asking him what he thinks? That is the issue I have taken about this. Not with those theories, hell, I have been vocal against some of those theories, but about all coming down to "Ran said that".

It's definitely not canon, but I agree on the idea of him knowing a bit more than we do, specially about Martin's way of work. But yes, he's not 100% right, either.

And tbh, while some theories he has debunked were harmless (like the poison or the heresy threads), you don't need to be Martin's anything to say things like Quentyn is alive are bs.

Even this part, I'd like to slap Yaendel after this

The Red Keep was soon breached, but in the chaos, misfortune soon fell upon Elia of Dorne and her children, Rhaenys and Aegon. It is tragic that the blood spilled in war may as readily be innocent as it is guilty, and that those who ravished and murdered Princess Elia escaped justice. It is not known who murdered Princess Rhaenys in her bed, or smashed the infant Prince Aegon’s head against a wall. Some whisper it was done at Aerys’s own command when he learned that Lord Lannister had taken up Robert’s cause,

while others suggest that Elia did it herself for fear of what would happen to her children in the hands of her dead husband’s enemies.

Argh... yeah, that part I hate. But mostly because

Here it comes the "aaah! the books aren't unreliable!". It's obvious that there is some sort of Lannister bias there, but I think mostly the rest is accurate.

I clearly doubt Oby's potential to extend Tywin's suffering until the collapse of House Lannister. He's not a wizard.

he was, of sorts:

“Ser Gregor.” Qyburn shrugged. “I have examined him, as you commanded. The poison on the Viper’s spear was manticore venom from the east, I would stake my life on that.”

“Pycelle says no. He told my lord father that manticore venom kills the instant it reaches the heart.”

“And so it does. But this venom has been thickened somehow, so as to draw out the Mountain’s dying.”

“Thickened? Thickened how? With some other substance?”

“It may be as Your Grace suggests, though in most cases adulterating a poison only lessens its potency. It may be that the cause is . . . less natural, let us say. A spell, I think.”

Blatant lies, just as I said it...

Yandel should also have painted Aerys' death as assisted suicide, with Jaime killing him on his command, and thus both giving the anointed king a good exit as well as absolving the Golden Brother of our Good Queen from the kingslaying sin.

I accept it because most of the theories they called BS I wasn't convinced they were true in the first place...and those theories always seemed a little thin.

So I accept their word that they are BS as proof they are BS. It's my theory that they know more than I do regarding ASoIaF...so I defer to them.

Textbook example of confirmation bias. You defer to him simply because he agrees with you already.

This isn't deferring. This is you using his opinion as proof that your opinion is correct, pretending that his opinion is something other than what it is: his personal opinion.

Textbook example of confirmation bias. You defer to him simply because he agrees with you already.

This isn't deferring. This is you using his opinion to backup as proof that your opinion is correct, as pretending that his opinion is something other than what it is: his personal opinion.

Agree to disagree.

I defer to him not only because he has more information than I do but is also more connected and has a better knowledge of GRRM's writing style and possibly his vision for the series.

If one of my theories was among those he called BS...I would accept it as that theory was BS.

So, this means you also believe that the Valyrians fucked their dragons? Or that Quaithe=Ashara? (Admittedly, I've never read that theory so I am unfamiliar with the evidence used for it).

I'd like to point out to everyone that Ran himself stated in this very interview that he does not discuss theories with GRRM. It also seems likely that Elio and the person he lives with would have some sort of contract or verbal agreement with the publisher and GRRM not to discuss any spoilers that they happen to come across in the process of working with GRRM.

Personally I think Ran’s theory about Dawn being Lightbringer much more unlikely than the Oberyn poisoned Tywin theory

For one, the last War for the Dawn happened before the Andals came to Westeros, and the Daynes are either Valyrian or Andal based on their coloring. Why would the office for holding Lightbringer, when it would have been created at the time of the First Men, be passed down by an Andal house?

Two, Lightbringer is called the Red Sword of Heroes, and I always pictured it as blood red, based on the story of its forging, or fire red, based on the idea of a burning sword. Lightbringer is described “pale as milkglass”, furthermore, Dawn emits no heat, and we’re told in the Jade Companion that it emits heat.

Three: We already have an existing origin story for Dawn. It was forged from a falling star, the Dayne House is seated at Starfall. The legend of the sword and locale corroborate each other.

Now I am not saying the theory is impossible, I just see it as highly unlikely, and is directly contradicted by existing text that must be explained away. As conjectures go it is much weaker than the Oberyn/Tywin theory.

So, this means you also believe that the Valyrians fucked their dragons? Or that Quaithe=Ashara? (Admittedly, I've never read that theory so I am unfamiliar with the evidence used for it).

I'd like to point out to everyone that Ran himself stated in this very interview that he does not discuss theories with GRRM. It also seems likely that Elio and the person he lives with would have some sort of contract or verbal agreement with the publisher and GRRM not to discuss any spoilers that they happen to come across in the process of working with GRRM.

HUH??

HUH??

Dragon mating is one of Ran's theories. Quaithe=Ashara also seems to be one of his theories, though it's more difficult for me to laugh at that one since I've never read the theory or it's evidence before and his reddit interview made it unclear if he was actually being serious.

Archived