Ran on TWoIaF and more|Reddit AMA

Moondancer

Wow.

Guys, I noted in that thread that the question was being responded to as fans. Nothing in our opinions come from discussions we've had with George. We don't talk fan theories with him, there's more interesting stuff to talk about, and we like the mysteries.

Wow.

Guys, I noted in that thread that the question was being responded to as fans. Nothing in our opinions come from discussions we've had with George. We don't talk fan theories with him, there's more interesting stuff to talk about, and we like the mysteries.

Thank you very much... I hope I didn't offend you but I sincerely believe that we can't take your words as gospel regarding theories given your previous statements about this.

I sprung from the 20th century. Lineage is BS. Convenient BS. If you don't catch your wife cheating you have to accept that the offspring is yours. Even if all your forefathers have black hair and all your three children have blond hair. That's lineage for you.

:bs: In Westeros, lineage does matter. That's why such huge emphasis is placed on blood. And we don't know how the law works in Westeros in regards to married women bringing forth bastards. Of the two cases we have seen, Cersei's has been exceptional, in the sense that she was Queen-Regent. Even so, Ned thought his case was strong enough to remove her from power and nullify her children's claim to the IT. In the other case we saw, that off Ramsay's mother, her brother-in-law was able to succesfully expell her from her deceased husbands mill because she birthed a bastard. If the baby hadn't been Roose's, her complaint would not have been addressed.

Furthermore, there is the practice of the First Night. We know from tPatQ that children born out of a union between Targaryen and smallfolk brides were celebrated by bestowing gifts on the mother and the child. To receive those gifts, the mother's husband couldn't possibly be considered to be the father of the child in question.

Finally, even if there wasn't an established practice to deal with these types of incidents in a formal way, Tywin didn't need to accept this. He could have killed Tyrion in his crib, but he didn't. If he truly believed Tyrion wasn't his and that there was no legal way to deal with this, than he would have smothered the child without hesitation. A bloodline obsessed monster like Tywin wouldn't let his consciousness get in the way here.

Re: the Robert's Rebellion excerpt, I think I'll offer one point about it...

When we wrote this, we proposed that the color of the "parchment" texture used for the book be subtly different from the rest of the text. That proved not feasible, I think, but in any case, that was the intention under which we wrote.

Wow.

I'm glad you waded in here. I had to wonder whether you were horrified at what had sprung from the interview, or sitting back cackling with glee at the mayhem that has been caused...

Personally I would be doing the latter. If that makes me a bad person then so be it :p

I enjoyed the interview, btw. It was nice to hear how you felt about the book and some of the process and whatnot. But I guess such comments would be waaaaay too off topic for this thread...

When we wrote this, we proposed that the color of the "parchment" texture used for the book be subtly different from the rest of the text. That proved not feasible, I think, but in any case, that was the intention under which we wrote.

How shameless of Yaendel :P Guess he won't be offering the book to Faegon in tWoW XD

The work has been messed with?

Personally I think Rans theory about Dawn being Lightbringer much more unlikely than the Oberyn poisoned Tywin theory

For one, the last War for the Dawn happened before the Andals came to Westeros, and the Daynes are either Valyrian or Andal based on their coloring. Why would the office for holding Lightbringer, when it would have been created at the time of the First Men, be passed down by an Andal house?

Two, Lightbringer is called the Red Sword of Heroes, and I always pictured it as blood red, based on the story of its forging, or fire red, based on the idea of a burning sword. Lightbringer is described pale as milkglass, furthermore, Dawn emits no heat, and were told in the Jade Companion that it emits heat.

Three: We already have an existing origin story for Dawn. It was forged from a falling star, the Dayne House is seated at Starfall. The legend of the sword and locale corroborate each other.

Now I am not saying the theory is impossible, I just see it as highly unlikely, and is directly contradicted by existing text that must be explained away. As conjectures go it is much weaker than the Oberyn/Tywin theory.

The Daynes are supposed to go back ten thousand years, long before the Andals. I don't know where you get the idea that their origins are Andal or Valyrian, but that doesn't appear to be based on anything from the books.

Archived