[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

Weren't Rhae and Daella supposed to be married? In the wiki it seems also they had descendants: http://awoiaf.wester.../Rhae_Targaryen

In aFfC, Samwell IV, Aemon specifically mentions that both of his sisters had children. Their marriages aren't revealed on the Targ family tree. However, quite a few Targ women don't have their marriages shown. There are multiple possible reasons for this

1- Not relevant (unlikely)

2- Highly relevant, so it would be a spoiler, and is left out.

3 - Yandel's bias. He wrote this work for Robert (whose known hatred for the Targs borders on a psychosis), so reminding him of possible rival claimants for the throne would likely result in his work being ignored or rejected. This bias pervades the entire latter stages of the Targ histories, including the family tree. No mention is made of the fate of Aerion's son Maegor. No mention is made of the escape of Viserys and Daenerys from Dragonstone. No mention is made of any descendents of Duncan and Jenny. No mention is made of any descendants of Vaella the Simple.

Likely answer - 2 + 3 combined.

ETA - grammar. (added some)

According to the Wiki, Quellon Greyjoy died before Robert's Rebellion ( I haven't re-read the respective Aeron chapter linked as a source), but the Worldbook clearly says that he died at very end of it while attacking the Shield Islands.

Is there a source for that on the wiki? So we can see which chapter it supposedly is from?

Ran,

how is Aelinor a cousin of Aerys I? She is not listed as one of the four children Elaena had with Ronnel Penrose - those are called Robin, Laena, Jocelyn, and Joy. Only 25 years passed between 184 - the earliest possible year in which Elaena may have been married to Ronnel Penrose and Aerys' ascension in 209. If Elaena's son Lord Robin had married at the ridiculous age of 13, his daughter Aelinor would still be 12 years at the age of his ascension. It is suggested that Aerys had not been married all that long when he took the throne, but he was married then.

And care to illuminate how all this fits with Lady Penrose and all the sons Fireball slew during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. Was Ronnel Penrose, the Master of Coin and Elaena's second husband, only the brother of the ruling Lady Penrose, who lost all of her sons but one in there?

Is there a source for that on the wiki? So we can see which chapter it supposedly is from?

I've found this quote from Feast 1, and it doesn't say in which war Quellon died.

The sound came softly, the scream of a rusted hinge. "Urri," he muttered, and woke, fearful. There is no hinge here, no door, no Urri. A flying axe took off half of Urri's hand when he was ten-and-four, playing at the finger dance whilst his father and his elder brothers were away at war. Lord Quellon's third wife had been a Piper of Pinkmaiden Castle, a girl with big soft breasts and brown doe's eyes. Instead of healing Urri's hand the Old Way, with fire and seawater, she gave him to her green land maester, who swore that he could sew back the missing fingers. He did that, and later he used potions and poltices and herbs, but the hand mortified and Urri took a fever. By the time the maester sawed his arm off, it was too late.

Lord Quellon never returned from his last voyage; the Drowned God in his goodness granted him a death at sea. It was Lord Balon who came back, with his brothers Euron and Victarion. When Balon heard what had befallen Urri, he removed three of the maester's fingers with a cook's cleaver and sent his father's Piper wife to sew them back on. Poltices and potions worked as well for the maester as they had for Urrigon. He died raving, and Lord Quellon's third wife followed soon thereafter, as the midwife drew a stillborn daughter from her womb. Aeron had been glad. It had been his axe that sheared off Urri's hand, whilst they danced the finger dance together, as friends and brothers will.

That would only work if Robin Penrose was Aelior's father. If it is Laena or Jocelyn, the bets are off time-wise. Especially since we don't yet know that Elaena did marry Ronnel Penrose in 184 AC. And I even did not consider the time for the pregnancies. Robin would have been born in 185 AC, and Aelinor would thus have been only 10-11 in 209.

Understandable, but we don't know how old Aelinor was when she married Aerys. Icky as it is, 10-11 year olds can have kids, although Aerys and Aelinor never did.

I'm not sure, Aelinor sounds like a Targ name, but so does Rhaegar Frey.

But in the case of Aelinor indeed having been such a young girl, why not marry Aerys to Daella or Rhae, who would have been roughly the same age as Aelinor?

Family tree stuff:

My file has Cassana, Rhalla or Aerea, Rhaenys, Gael designated as male. This should be changed. Daenaera Velaryon's name is misspelled 'Valeryon', and, as already been noted the birth order for Laena/Laenor is out of order.

Jaime and Joffrey are also misspelled in the usual way in the trees, i.e. 'Jamie' and 'Joffery'. The same is true for the Lydden marrying the daughter of a King of the Rock, he's spelled 'Joffery', too, which most certainly should be 'Joffrey', I guess, the 'Lannister king' after whom Joffrey was named...?

Family tree stuff:

My file has Cassana, Rhalla or Aerea, Rhaenys, Gael designated as male. This should be changed. Daenaera Velaryon's name is misspelled 'Valeryon', and, as already been noted the birth order for Laena/Laenor is out of order.

Jaime and Joffrey are also misspelled in the usual way in the trees, i.e. 'Jamie' and 'Joffery'. The same is true for the Lydden marrying the daughter of a King of the Rock, he's spelled 'Joffery', too, which most certainly should be 'Joffrey', I guess, the 'Lannister king' after whom Joffrey was named...?

Not sure misspellings count. People misspelled things all the time in the middle ages and even more recently. Have you ever tried to trace your family history prior to the adoption of standardized spelling? Heck, even with standardized spelling you sometimes can't tell whether you're looking at an "r" next to an "n" or it's actually just an "m." There's one lady in my family tree who is variously listed as America, Amorica, and Amonica. And I'm not sure any of those were her actual name!

Well, Jamie and Joffery also occur on the official family trees, i.e. in regards to Jaime Lannister and Joffrey Baratheon. 'Joffery' Lydden is another case, he could be named that way, but I'm not sure about that.

The chances for Aelinor being Elaena's granddaughter are very slim. TSS states that she visits the castle sept ever night and prays that the gods grant her a child/that Aerys visits her bedchamber. That is not the kind of behavior a 10-13 year-old-girl usually has. She would be looking forward to her deflowering in the future, not be under the impression that he husband shunned her marriage bed for months or years.

While Aerys I may have been married only somewhat recently before his ascension (say, from 206-208/9), there is no hint that he had a child bride. Aerys' Small Council also seemed to suggest an annulment shortly after his coronation - which would have made little sense at that point if it had not been evident for quite some time that the king was shunning his queen. And with a child bride this would not have been evident for quite some time as Aerys simply may have intended to wait until the girl was able to give birth to a child and survive the ordeal...

Archived