[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

A note: If errors are found in a print or digital copy, please say which, and (if print) which printing and which page(s) are involved. There's already been 3 or 4 printings, and some errors in the first printing are not now in the 3rd printing.

Ok, so I've got the first edition. So it's possible that everything I find has been taken out in the other printings, but still, useful to point out for all those who have also acquired the first edition.

Perhaps not necessarily an inconsistency, but simply a strange wording:

Lady Falena Stokeworth made Aegon IV "a man" by taking his virginity in 149AC. He was 14, she 24. They apparently slept together for two years, until they were discovered in 151AC by a KG. Falena was married off, and her new husband was made Lord of Harrenhal, removing her from court. Text states that Aegon would visit Harrenhal frequently for the two years that followed (so 152/153AC).

Lady Jeyne Lothston is the daughter of Falena, and she's rumoured to have been fathered by Aegon IV.. Yet Jeyne is 14 years old in 178AC, and was thus born in 164AC.. about 11 years after Aegon IV stopped sleeping with Falena, for as far as is described.

Should we assume that Aegon paid only the occasional visit to Harrenhal (and thus Falena) after 153AC, and thus, despite no longer frequently sleeping with Falena, they did have sex every now and then? Because otherwise the rumours might simply be a bit weird..

Timing of Ser Kevan's marriage to Dorna Swyft seems a bit weird. The text suggests that he has married her before 266. Yet their eldest son Lancel was just 15-16 in 298 - i.e. born in 282-283. 16 -17 years after their wedding! Also, their youngest daughter was 2 in 298, IIRC. Assuming that Dorna had been 14 when Kevan married her (i.e. born 152), she would had been 46 when she bore her youngest child. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

I guess the stuff about Viserys becoming Aerys' heir after Rhaegar's death is in there very intentionally. Aerys clearly despised his 'Dornish smelling' grandchildren, and mistrusted the Martells 'for some reason'.

Timing of Ser Kevan's marriage to Dorna Swyft seems a bit weird. The text suggests that he has married her before 266. Yet their eldest son Lancel was just 15-16 in 298 - i.e. born in 282-283. 16 -17 years after their wedding! Also, their youngest daughter was 2 in 298, IIRC. Assuming that Dorna had been 14 when Kevan married her (i.e. born 152), she would had been 46 when she bore her youngest child. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

Perhaps she was still very young when they got married? Or has fertility issues? Lysa Tully only gave birth to a living child after some 8 years of marriage.. It is possible, I suppose, if you combine those two

Obsessing over character ages again, how fun! With the betrothals of Aegon's sons/daughters taking place in 237 AC and Olenna and Daeron being both 9 years old then, according to the new book, would that put their respective birth year in 228 AC. (Then GRRM was wrong when he said Olenna is still in her sixties in ASOIAF :P) Would also mean Daeron died at the young age of 22 or 23. Well, Duncan the small didn't see his fourtieth either. Sucks to be a Targaryen sometimes.

ETA: Because math is hard.

Obsessing over character ages again, how fun! With the betrothals of Aegon's sons/daughters taking place in 237 AC and Olenna and Daeron being both 9 years old then, according to the new book, would that put their respective birth year in 228 AC. (Then GRRM was wrong when he said Olenna is still in her sixties in ASOIAF :P) Would also mean Daeron died at the "young" age of 32 or 33. Well, Dunk the small didn't see his fourtieth either. Sucks to be a Targaryen sometimes.

Yeah, but again, that was an SSM, and thus semi-canon, always subject to change..

And I always obsess about the ages :)

Yeah, but again, that was an SSM, and thus semi-canon, always subject to change.

Indeed. I love to figure this shit out.

ETA: Just remembered Jaehaerys died before turning 40 too. Must have been a curse. :stillsick:

Lewyn Martell arriving with Elia and being a part of Rhaegar's inner circle doesn't quite fit with Barristan's memories of a time when Lewyn was a part of a KG that had formed close bonds. If Lewyn was a confident of Rhaegar's, he must have lived at Dragonstone and thus quite hard to form such a bond.

Edition and page numbers? Those should have disappeared by the 3rd print.

Forgive me, I saw it mentioned in reddit and put it up without actually reading it in my edition. I've only just returned to the UK and I wanted to make sure that my phone was picking up the updates from this thread.

Congratulations btw!

Anyway, are Willem and Martyn no longer twins? The family tree doesn't list them as a single birth.

Orwyle cutting off Viserys II's fingers contradicts the Rogue Prince where the ever missing dragon food, Gerardys, did.

Lewyn Martell arriving with Elia and being a part of Rhaegar's inner circle doesn't quite fit with Barristan's memories of a time when Lewyn was a part of a KG that had formed close bonds. If Lewyn was a confident of Rhaegar's, he must have lived at Dragonstone and thus quite hard to form such a bond.

If Lewyn Martell lived on Dragonstone, it certainly wouldn't hurt the theory Ashara Dayne was his paramour, since she was a lady-in-waiting for Princess Elia. (For Lewyn + Ashara, start here.)

If Lewyn Martell lived on Dragonstone, it certainly wouldn't hurt the theory Ashara Dayne was his paramour, since she was a lady-in-waiting for Princess Elia. (For Lewyn + Ashara, start here.)

Sure. But how many ladies could this guy juggle with breaking his vows at the same time without anyone knowing about the second one? Arianne speaks of his paramour while he was a KG, describing her as an old lady. Where does Ashara fit? I can't believe she was the lady the KGs knew about. Barristan seems to like and respect Lewyn despite having a lady. Her being Barristan's own crush would spoil the thing a little.

A note: If errors are found in a print or digital copy, please say which, and (if print) which printing and which page(s) are involved. There's already been 3 or 4 printings, and some errors in the first printing are not now in the 3rd printing.

Yes.

This should be fixed in the 3rd printing/digital edition, but let me know if it's in one of those.

Mariah is the canonical spelling now. George used it in his manuscript, and we decided once and for all to just pick one.

Page where that's at?

He was married... in his heart of hearts, he was married!

(In all seriousness, I _think_ when George wrote that line for Barristan, it's either a characterization moment for Barristan or for his understanding of Daeron's relationship to his paramour, or alternatively George hadn't settled on the sort of relationship Daeron struck up until writing for this book... but in any case, we can now read it as Barristan being figurative/poetic/demure or what have you.)

Elucidate, please. :)

If we have a digital copy will we be able to re download it with the corrections?

Archived