[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

We're aware of those date issues, BTW. Thanks for discussing it, however, folks. It helps sort things out. I believe the date issue LBR notes all came from a partial attempt to correct issues introduced in the course of putting the book together, but some of the fixes seem to have not made it in. I'll have to check my emails with editorial to see where things went wrong.

It is not just getting the date of the Lannisport tourney wrong--it is also the event. That tourney was for the birth of Viserys, but is referenced in the "false spring" chapter not only with the wrong date (272) but with the wrong event (10-year anniversary of coronation rather than birth of Viserys).

On page 51 Aenys is mentioned as Prince of Dragonstone. However based on Lord Varys' notes from the LonCon reading, Maegor was called Prince of Dragonstone during that time, because he grew up there. The tradition to call the heir apparent Prince of Dragonstone was introdruced a few years later by Aenys with his Aegon. Is that a misinterpretation of the notes or an inconsistency?

That is indeed a mistake.

Unpublished material read by GRRM is not necessarily in final form, folks. Bear that in mind when citing readings by George with regards to TWoIaF.

In other words, I take it that it was not a mistake. Rather it was a change to the text, and the information at the reading should be considered inoperative.

Well, I'd guess that the Maegor was the Prince of Dragonstone thing was a major point in 'The Sons of the Dragon' - especially since Aenys does name Aegon Prince of Dragonstone in Maegor's place. But of course I could be wrong there.

But generally that's indeed the case. Some things from the Westerlands reading also changed.

Was Grand Maester Munkun dismissed or took a break as Grand Maester before coming back?

- He is listed as Grand Maester and Regent from 131AC-136AC and also as Grand Maester when Baelor I was dying in 171AC.

- Yet there is a Grand Maester Alford who was with Naerys Targaryen when she gave birth to Daeron II in 153AC.

Oh. Great!

Do you know what happened to Queen Shaera Targaryen, by the way. She did not die at Summerhall, according to the book, but neither she nor her death is mentioned during the reign of Aerys II.

Trying to crack that Aelinor Penrose thing:

With a lot of goodwill and a child groom and bride Aelinor could be Elaena's granddaughter through her son Robin Penrose.

But we also know that Fireball slew all the sons of an unspecified Lady Penrose during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. That Lady could have been neither Elaena nor Robin's wife because Robin could not have had sons of his own who were old enough to fight at this time.

Elaena herself could also have not been that Lady Penrose because, according to the family tree, she had only one son by Ronnel Penrose, which would not allow Fireball to slew 'all her sons but one'.

The only other option I can think of is that Ronnel was not Lord Penrose at all, but just a knight, but that seems to be contradicted by the section on Baelor's sister where Elaena's second husband is called a lord.

It would be interesting if Elaena was that Lady Penrose, but for that the whole family would have to be revised - three sons, one daughter, not the other way around.

Werther,

Point.

thelittledragon,

Hrm. That's what we get for George leaving the Targaryen tree for near after everything else had been written.

On the Lannister family tree are all Geralds children from Webber? Considering that the twins were born before Tytos(219) and Rohanne was married to Eustace around 212 is it possible that they were children of Lady Farman.

The Lannister stuff adds up. The Westerlands reading had the ages of the twins, and Jason is confirmed to be born only a year before Rohanne's disappearance. We don't know how long Ser Eustace lived, after all.

The Lannister stuff adds up. The Westerlands reading had the ages of the twins, and Jason is confirmed to be born only a year before Rohanne's disappearance. We don't know how long Ser Eustace lived, after all.

But wasn't there a 9 year gap between the Twins, Tytus and Jason ? That is the main reason why I assumed(probably wrongly) they had different mothers.

Archived