[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

I guess this is the place for editing errors too?

Page 63 of the first edition (I think that is the edition I have) under Jaehaerys I - apparently: "thousands of tents sprang up over the moons, until the castle town of Harrenton was accounted the fourth largest city in the Realm." I know there were a lot of dragons in Jaehaerys time, but I doubt there was enough to transport the entire kingdom to the moon :p

Also, I wasn't sure if Harrenton was a mistake or not. Is it meant to be Harrentown perhaps?

I guess this is the place for editing errors too?

Page 63 of the first edition (I think that is the edition I have) under Jaehaerys I - apparently: "thousands of tents sprang up over the moons, until the castle town of Harrenton was accounted the fourth largest city in the Realm." I know there were a lot of dragons in Jaehaerys time, but I doubt there was enough to transport the entire kingdom to the moon :P

Also, I wasn't sure if Harrenton was a mistake or not. Is it meant to be Harrentown perhaps?

I assumed moons meant months there. It is a little awkward.

I think I addressed it earlier, but yes, Yandel doesn't have access to Jon Connington or Robert. He looks at sources -- chroniclers, letters in the Citadel's archives, and so on -- and we decided that Harwin probably represented the "popular" -- most widely spread -- understanding of what happened, and dismisses those accounts that disagrees.

I think a possible explanation would be that Jon saw Robert was coming after him and realised he had no chance, hence, he ordered the withdraw of his men before they actually fought. Hence, him saying he could have killed him, but no one else actually saw them fight.

That, or they fought and Jon punched Robert on the face to distract him and run away and everybody realised it wouldn't be good to mention that in a book :dunno:

(I need to included that there <--)

The section on the Iron Islands first speaks about Kings named Greyiron, then throws a Theon III Greyjoy and a Balon V Greyjoy in between, and then returns to Kings named Greyiron (pages 179, 180 and 181). As there are multiple Greyjoy kings mentioned in between the Greyirons, it's probably not a mistake, but could someone explain this?

Was the King of the Ironborn from a different family each time?

The section on the Iron Islands first speaks about Kings named Greyiron, then throws a Theon III Greyjoy and a Balon V Greyjoy in between, and then returns to Kings named Greyiron (pages 179, 180 and 181). As there are multiple Greyjoy kings mentioned in between the Greyirons, it's probably not a mistake, but could someone explain this?

Was the King of the Ironborn from a different family each time?

Their King's were not hereditary for many years. Only when the Drowned Priests began losing power/influence and stopped calling Kingsmoots. Certain families seem to have had more kings than others though

First print, page 191, column on the left, fourth paragraph

"These tidings united his three eldest sons: the Targaryen were done, they told him, and House Greyjoy must needs join the rebellion at once or lose any hope of sharing in the spoils of victory".

Targaryen should be spelled Targaryens

Their King's were not hereditary for many years. Only when the Drowned Priests began losing power/influence

I suspected as much, but was still confused. Thank you :)

I have a question about Elaena's three husbands, hope you can clarify :)

She was thrice wed. [...]
Her first marriage was in 176 AC, to the wealthy but aged Ossifer Plumm [...]
Her second marriage was at the behest of Aegon the Unworthy’s successor, King Daeron the Good. Daeron wed her to his master of coin, and this union led to two more children [...]
The third marriage was one of her own choice, after she fell in love with Lord Michael Manwoody [...]

So... can we assume that the second husband is Ronnel Penrose? Even though we do know they had four children, not two? And if he is so, was Ronnel Master of Coin of Daeron II?

(sorry if this was already answered, I could not find it in any place)

(and sorry my basic english, it's not native language)

Trying to crack that Aelinor Penrose thing:

With a lot of goodwill and a child groom and bride Aelinor could be Elaena's granddaughter through her son Robin Penrose.

But we also know that Fireball slew all the sons of an unspecified Lady Penrose during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. That Lady could have been neither Elaena nor Robin's wife because Robin could not have had sons of his own who were old enough to fight at this time.

Elaena herself could also have not been that Lady Penrose because, according to the family tree, she had only one son by Ronnel Penrose, which would not allow Fireball to slew 'all her sons but one'.

The only other option I can think of is that Ronnel was not Lord Penrose at all, but just a knight, but that seems to be contradicted by the section on Baelor's sister where Elaena's second husband is called a lord.

It would be interesting if Elaena was that Lady Penrose, but for that the whole family would have to be revised - three sons, one daughter, not the other way around.

Elaena should have been the wife of Damon Lannister :)

I have a question about Elaena's three husbands, hope you can clarify :)

So... can we assume that the second husband is Ronnel Penrose? Even though we do know they have four children, not two? And if he is so, was Ronnel Master of Coin of Daeron II?

(sorry if this was already answered, I could not find it in any place)

(and sorry my basic english, it's not native language)

Yeah, I'm guessing it should be four children, not two

Has this one been mentioned?

Lomas Longstrider reports that, even in far Asshai-by-the-Shadow, there were merchants who asked him if it was true that the Lion Lord lived in a palace of solid gold [...]

Except later on...

Who can say? Lomas Longstrider never saw Asshai-by-the-Shadow.

Did he visit Asshai or not? Is that supposed to be unreliable or something? If that's the case, it'd still be very odd, as the places he visited seem to be described in his own book.

The only other option I can think of is that Ronnel was not Lord Penrose at all, but just a knight, but that seems to be contradicted by the section on Baelor's sister where Elaena's second husband is called a lord.

He was automatically a Lord as he was on the Small Council, like Littlefinger and Varys were Lords.

Fireball killing all Lady Penroses sons but 1 probably increased the chances that 1 of Eleana's children would inherit should anything happen to him.

Is anyone making a list that we can check against? Maybe the OP ;)

- In the Tully section, Jaehaerys I is stated to be the son of the slain Aegon 1.5

- Melessa Crakehall is missing from the Lannister Family Tree. She is listed as married to Lyonel Frey in the CoK Appendix.

Archived