[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

I found a good one, almost certainly an intentional inconsistency:

On one hand we are told Valyria never had dealings with Casterly Rock despite the Freehold's lust for wealth.

Yet in the century before the Doom, a Lannister King bought the Valyrian Steel Blade Brightroar for a price "...enough to raise an army"

...and for fun, we have:

Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold’s sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them.

Not sure how this payment would cause the Doom of Valyria, :) but those are some dots that might be connectable. Maybe someone actually did raise an army with the gold, and there was civil war. Hard to believe even that amount of gold being such a huge swing for the elite dragonlord families. Surely they had truly absurd wealth.

It might also be that "the Freehold" didn't make this deal, it was Dragonstone or Qohor or somewhere else besides the capital.

I found a good one, almost certainly an intentional inconsistency:

On one hand we are told Valyria never had dealings with Casterly Rock despite the Freehold's lust for wealth.

Yet in the century before the Doom, a Lannister King bought the Valyrian Steel Blade Brightroar for a price "...enough to raise an army"

...and for fun, we have:

Septon Barth speculated on the matter, referring to a Valyrian text that has since been lost, suggesting that the Freehold’s sorcerers foretold that the gold of Casterly Rock would destroy them.

Not sure how this payment would cause the Doom of Valyria, :) but those are some dots that might be connectable. Maybe someone actually did raise an army with the gold, and there was civil war. Hard to believe even that amount of gold being such a huge swing for the elite dragonlord families. Surely they had truly absurd wealth.

It might also be that "the Freehold" didn't make this deal, it was Dragonstone or Qohor or somewhere else besides the capital.

That is in reference to Tywin and Jaime ending the Targaryens, the last of the nobility of the Valyrian freehold.

Re: 5 sons of Lady Penrose, let's not forget that wives of knights are also called "Lady". So, her husband could have been a brother or a cousin of Elaena's husband Lord Ronnel.

Has Kevan's name being printed in bold in the Lannister tree, as if he was Lord Lannister, been adressed? Because according to the text and appendices it should clearly be Cersei.

That is in reference to Tywin and Jaime ending the Targaryens, the last of the nobility of the Valyrian freehold.

I considered that but I don't think it's very strong.

Tywin/Jaime didn't actually end the nobility, obviously Dany and Viserys (and maybe even Aegon) were/are alive and the phrase "gold of Casterly Rock" doesn't sound like it applies to people.

I considered that but I don't think it's very strong.

Tywin/Jaime didn't actually end the nobility, obviously Dany and Viserys (and maybe even Aegon) were/are alive and the phrase "gold of Casterly Rock" doesn't sound like it applies to people.

I'm not convinced that it applies to the sack either, but I think "gold of Casterly Rock" could very well apply to people if gold refers to coloring (particularly hair color) rather than the metal gold.

Concerning the birth year of Tywin Lannister. Since he is stated to have been 20 in 262AC, and 25 in 267AC, and since it is stated that his wedding to Joanna took place in 263, which is identified on a seperate page to have been one year after he became hand (confirming he became Hand in 262AC), I assume that his being 10 in 254AC is wrong, and that the year of Gennas betrothal should be 252AC.

That means Genna was 7 in 252AC, and thus born in 245AC. Kevan, who was 55 in 300AC, would then have been born in 244AC, after the death of Lord Gerold, making Tywin the only grandchild Gerold ever knew.

@Kcenturion

I'll gather all the mistakes posted here in the OP later today ;)

Both Cerelle Lannister and Cersei Lannister should be marked as Lords of Casterly Rock.

As to Ronnel Penrose: We know that Ser Michael Manwoody is described as Ser in the text, and Ser Tyland Lannister is also addressed as Ser during his term on the council, as is Harys Swyft.

You only become a 'Lord by courtesy' if you hold no title at all, not everyone gets this empty honor if he holds a title of his own... And the idea that Daeron II would name some incompetent second son from a somewhat minor house on his council when he is at the same time famed for choosing good people would be kind of weird.

Kevan never was Lord of Casterly Rock, and since the bold on the appendix does not refer to Lord Regents, he should not be bold.

And the same should probably apply to Rodwell and Donnor Starks, since they have statues in the crypts and Bran named them both as Lords of Winterfell in AGoT. He never named Artos Lord, so there was some wriggle room there and possibility to make him this great regent, who deserved a statue as an extraordinary honor.

That Alford/Munkun contradiction is apparently also no contradiction at all (Munkun being Grand Maester again in the year 171 AC when Baelor died, despite the fact that he was not Grand Maester in 153 AC when Naerys gave birth to Daeron II).

Aenys I is also Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne because George apparently changed his mind on the Maegor/Prince of Dragonstone thing from 'The Sons of the Dragon' reading.

'Fire and Blood' should become a very interesting read indeed.

The map of the Vale (p. 162) has a wrong location for Saltpans. Instead of being located at the mouth of the Trident it's way farther east. The Riverlands map is correct.

Aenys I is also Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne because George apparently changed his mind on the Maegor/Prince of Dragonstone thing from 'The Sons of the Dragon' reading.

'Fire and Blood' should become a very interesting read indeed.

There is still one reference of Maegor as Prince of DS during Aenys' reign when it's said that Aegon was given that title in Maegor's place (p. 53). Either that has not been changed correctly or Aenys considered Maegor as his heir for some time.

In the chapter on Aegon III we are told that Cregan Stark executed "Larys the Clubfoot, the last of the ancient line of House Strong."

Yet in the Princess vs the Queen we know that Simon Strong, the Castellan, and his unnamed Grandsons were kept hostage by Dameon Targaryen and that in the current Gold company there are a couple of men calling themselves 'Strong'(wether they are genuine or not is immaterial as it appears that some Strongs survived).

Is it possible that some Strongs did survive, but they were stripped of their lands?

I don't think it's a mistake, but Grand Maester Munkun is already a Grand Maester after the Dance (131) and is still there tending Baelor I when he dies (171). But on 153, there's a Grand Maester Alford tending Naerys. Proably it's just a matter of Munkun geting a leave, or him staying around after retirement.

Archived