[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

Ran has already said that this thing is apparently intentional. Something for 'Fire and Blood'. A guess could be that Aegon III fired Munkun as Regent and Grand Maester when he took over, not merely as Regent. After all, he would have to be (partially) blamed for a lot of the shit that happened during the Regency, especially the stuff involving Thaddeus Rowan's torture and the siege of Maegor's Holdfast.

Later on, some other king may have reinstated him - possibly Daeron I or Baelor I - after Alford's death. Thus Munkun would also have had the time to write his account on the Dance. The office of Grand Maester should not give you all that much leisure time.

Thanks, Ran. I'll try to get that one into the German version. It never occurred to me that this may have been a mistake. I thought the Harroways fall from grace as well as the death of Tyanna and the other wives could have occurred all in 48 AC.

THB,

somebody really should. Rhaenys is already looking for the Ran/Linda comment that confirmed that Tywin was named Hand only in 263 AC, not in 262 AC. If that's not found soon, I'll start thinking I'm imagining postings/revelations.

Thanks, Ran. I'll try to get that one into the German version. It never occurred to me that this may have been a mistake. I thought the Harroways fall from grace as well as the death of Tyanna and the other wives could have occurred all in 48 AC.

THB,

somebody really should. Rhaenys is already looking for the Ran/Linda comment that confirmed that Tywin was named Hand only in 263 AC, not in 262 AC. If that's not found soon, I'll start thinking I'm imagining postings/revelations.

I still haven't been able to find it.. Perhaps Ran could clarify it here? :)

Thanks Lord Varys, I missed this one.

Someone should compile of Ran's comments and clarifications these days. Too much to digest in so little time!

All of the clarifications are in the first list of the OP, all the potential mistakes that people have discovered are listed there as well, in a separate list.

The clarifications from other threads, I haven't listed.. It would indeed be a good idea to keep up with it all.

In any case, the 48AC -> 44AC is added to the OP ;)

Ran has already said that this thing is apparently intentional. Something for 'Fire and Blood'. A guess could be that Aegon III fired Munkun as Regent and Grand Maester when he took over, not merely as Regent.

Only the conclave can unmake a Grand Maester, remember? I mean I guess in practice Tyrion unmade Pycelle for a little bit.

p. 228, first column reads on two separate occasions 'Prince Laenor' instead of merely 'Laenor of House Velaryon' (when the Great Council is discussed) or a 'Ser Laenor' when his children by Rhaenyra are mentioned.

This contradicts TPatQ and TRP insofar as Laenor is never referred to as 'Prince' therein, most likely because a royal princess could not pass on that title to her children (i.e. Princess Rhaelle's son Steffon Baratheon wasn't a prince, either - and neither is Princess Anne's daughter, by the way).

A similar thing happens with Daemon's daughters Baela and Rhaena - both a called princess(es) on multiple occasions in the book, whereas Gyldayn sticks to the honorific 'Lady' in both TRP and TPatQ. That is most likely so because, even in the male line, a prince of royal blood passes down titles only up to a certain point. The grandson of a king in the male line is still a prince, whereas his great-granddaughters are not.

Baela and Rhaena also have thr benefit of being half-siblings to the King. That could also give a reason for the 'Princess' titles.

ETA; it is also not likely to be a mistake because of Jacaerys offered Cregan a Targaryen Princess...which was possibly one of the twins

Another thing that doesn't seem to add up are the dates of Jaehaerys and Alysannes marriage and death. (p.60)
Jaehaerys became king at the age of 14 in 48 AC (-->born 34 AC) and married his sister once he reached his majority (16 years-->50 AC). It is said that the marriage lasted 46 years placing Alysanne's death in 96 AC however a few pages later we learn that she died less than a year after their daughter Gael in 99/100 AC.

That's possible though 53/54 AC would be a bit late for Westerosi standard. Alysanne was only 2 years younger according to the LonCon reading and Jaehaerys was the only male Targ left, so producing heirs would have been of very high priority. A possible reason could be that they wanted to get the Faith's approval before another incestous marriage, which was not given for a few years.

Donnor was a lord. Rodwell, too. Something the third print should already have in place.

Ahh cool, thanks!

That fits with the preview we got of the She-Wolves of Winterfell, then. We were told 4 lords Stark died relatively close together, with Lord Beron soon to join them given his mortal wound at the hands of Dagon Greyjoy's reavers. So the four would be:

- Rodwell, Beron's older brother. (probably died from Dagon's reavers as well?)

- Brandon, father of Beron.

- Barth Blacksword, Brandon's older brother. Barth died in the Skagosi rebellion.

- Jonnel One-Eye, Barth and Brandon's older brother.

This does have the side effect of making Bran's reading of the statues a bit odd order-wise, but that is pretty easy to dismiss as "just the way Bran thought about it" or something.

Archived