[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

Hm, so Elaena and a daughter of the first Daenaerys both married into the Penroses? This seems to be a bit of an overkill, no? They aren't even the mst powerful among the Marcher lords. And would it actually make things better time-wise? Daenaerys was born... 172 AC, no? So, let's say marriage around 186 at the earliest, eldest child bespoke as a heir to Dorne... No, it fits even worse than with Elaena.

Or are we speaking about Maron's and Mariah's younger sister marrying a Penrose? I.e. a cousin through the Martells, not through Targs? There is still a problem that somebody of her stature would have married the _Lord_ Penrose. So, were she and Elaena married to the same man and was Aelinor actually Elaena's stepdaughter?

I have to say, that I don't understand the reason for complicating things like that. Either a sister or a daughter of Elaena would have done the job much better, IMHO. Because, really, why did Egg expect to marry one of his sisters if nobody in the previous 2 generations had?

Maia,

you are right, that does not make any sense, either. Perhaps we should look for legitimized bastard offspring. Say, one of Bloodraven's elder sisters Mya or Gwenys married into House Penrose?

That could be another clue why Aerys chose Bloodraven as Hand.

Speaking about that:

It would have been much better to make two double-sided pages for the Targaryen tree. Thus bastard lines could have been included as well.

How about the children of Daemon Targaryen? Perhaps a child of Baela, with Alyn, or a child of Rhaena, with her Hightower husband, married into House Penrose.. Or a grandchild.. That would still make Aelinor Penrose a cousin of Aerys I, and there's room for a couple of generations ending with Aelinor being old enough for it to work out.

How about the children of Daemon Targaryen? Perhaps a child of Baela, with Alyn, or a child of Rhaena, with her Hightower husband, married into House Penrose.. Or a grandchild.. That would still make Aelinor Penrose a cousin of Aerys I, and there's room for a couple of generations ending with Aelinor being old enough for it to work out.

That's what I just said ;)

Yeah, I just now read that on the other thread :)

I'm not surprised, we often have the same idea's :D

Oh...I thought it was the same thread :p Wow, this debate seems to have been blown waaaay out of proportion :p

And yes, yes we do :D

I have the digital version, but alas it is not in front of me. In any event:

In the Aegon I section, there is a confrontation between Rhaenys and Mariah in Sunspear.

In the Dorne section, it states that Mariah was already gone when Rhaenys arrive in Sunspear.

That first encounter was during Aegon's Conquest. The latter incident, when Princess Meria had vanished from Sunspear, is at least 4 years later (also the latter incident wasn't just Rhaenys, Aegon was definitely there too)

I have the digital version, but alas it is not in front of me. In any event:

In the Aegon I section, there is a confrontation between Rhaenys and Mariah in Sunspear.

In the Dorne section, it states that Mariah was already gone when Rhaenys arrive in Sunspear.

In any case, that's Princess Meria.

And it's not a mistake. You are talking about two different wars. ;) Meria confronted Rhaenys during the Conquest. Meria had vanished when the Targaryens reached Sunspear during the First Dornish War..

Lord Lucas Harroway is listed as Hand to King Maegor whilst he finishes off the Red Keep in 45AC. However, a few pages later it is mentioned that the entire Harroway family were killed off in 44AC (48 in print but corrected to 44 by Ran here) after Alys delivered a monstrosity-baby. I doubt Maegor would've let Harroway live for 6+ months while he finished off his building project before taking out his heirless anger.......

In any case, that's Princess Meria.

And it's not a mistake. You are talking about two different wars. ;) Meria confronted Rhaenys during the Conquest. Meria had vanished when the Targaryens reached Sunspear during the First Dornish War..

I suppose you would know best Rhaenys :)

Man,l all those Dornish wars can get confusing....

It's a bit of unclear text rather than an error. The paragraph says it's done in 45 AC, but then goes back to discuss how Maegor inherited it from his father, had Harroway run the realm for him while he kept an eye on and got involved in the project, etc.. so that's all pre-45 AC stuff. To make it clear we'd have to insert something about Harroway not living to see it done himself, but I don't think there's room for it, alas.

I suppose you would know best Rhaenys :)

Man,l all those Dornish wars can get confusing....

It never seems to end well for any Targaryen named Rhaenys... :( They are all brutally killed...

It's a bit of unclear text rather than an error. The paragraph says it's done in 45 AC, but then goes back to discuss how Maegor inherited it from his father, had Harroway run the realm for him while he kept an eye on and got involved in the project, etc.. so that's all pre-45 AC stuff. To make it clear we'd have to insert something about Harroway not living to see it done himself, but I don't think there's room for it, alas.

So the Harroways all died in 44AC?

Ran,

could you give a clue whether Grand Maester Hareth was one of the three Grand Maesters executed by Maegor? We have Gawen, who objected to his inheritance, and Desmond, who died alongside the Harroways. But there is at least one more missing.

On p. 216 there is a apparent contradiction regarding the 'King Abomination' High Septon and the Hightowers (Ceryse's uncle). The text claims he was merely kin-by-marriage to the Hightowers, but the sidebar states that 'his own brother Ser Morgan Hightower' and his 'maiden aunt Patrice Hightower' are suspects in his alleged murder. I've difficulty imagining the 'maiden aunt thing' but perhaps this is possible somehow if the High Septon himself is not a Hightower by birth, but Ser Morgan Hightower - the commander of Warrior's Sons chapter in Oldtown - is called the High Septon's 'own brother'. As a man, he would not change his name if he married (unless, perhaps, he was installed as Lord of Oldtown, which he clearly was not), but as a member of a order of the Faith he would also not be married.

Thus either the High Septon was not kin-by-marriage to House Hightower but a Hightower by birth, or Ser Morgan Hightower was not the High Septon's 'own brother' but his brother-in-law. Now, considering the implications of the murder, I'd go with him being a real Hightower.

Archived