[TWOIAF Spoilers] Inconsistency or Intentional?

Ran, could you perhaps clarify this?

Daenerys and Maron were to be betrothed when she came of age (turned 16). They were wed the next year. Daenerys was born in 172 AC, and was thus officially betrothed in 188 AC, when she turned 16. That she was wed the next year, means she and Maron married in 189 AC..

But Prince Baelor (39 years old in 209 AC, and thus born in either 170 AC or 169 AC), was 17 years old when Daenerys and Maron got married.. With Daenerys and Maron marrying in 189 AC, Baelor couldn't have been 17 years old..

Did I misinterpret the wording surrounding Daenerys' marriage to Maron, or was Baelor supposed to be eighteen or nineteen, instead of seventeen, at Daenerys' wedding?

In Yandel's chronicle, Chelsted is chief among Rhaegar's enemies, and an Aerys loyalist. In the main series, he vigorously objects to Aerys' plan to burn Kings Landing. He must have changed his mind very quickly after Rhaegar's death.

Only Jaime would know of Chelsted's objections though. Yandel knows nothing of the Wildfire Plot

Lomas Longstrider questions:

1. Did he see Asshai-by-the-Shadow as stated on page 197, or did he not as is stated on page 309?

We previously know Lomas observed the great pyramid as a ruin (post-doom). Now we know he beheld the palace of a Thousand Rooms before Lame Loso sacked it.

2. Can we safely say that the timeline for Lomas' travels was after the Doom and before the end of the Century of Blood?

I have theory for Lomas-Asshai issue. Maybe he saw merchants from Asshai in some of the places he visited.

Like, he was in Volantis and he saw some merchants from Asshai where he stayed and they asked him about The Rock (Quentyn saw men from the Shadow).

Lomas Longstrider questions:

1. Did he see Asshai-by-the-Shadow as stated on page 197, or did he not as is stated on page 309?

We previously know Lomas observed the great pyramid as a ruin (post-doom). Now we know he beheld the palace of a Thousand Rooms before Lame Loso sacked it.

2. Can we safely say that the timeline for Lomas' travels was after the Doom and before the end of the Century of Blood?

For #2, that's my interpretation as well. I prefer that he traveled towards the middle/end of the Century, as it seems like the immediate aftermath of the Doom would be an awfully terrible time to go traveling. So much war and turmoil, etc.

For #1, it's been brought up in this thread already and personally I think it is an intentional inconsistency.

I have theory for Lomas-Asshai issue. Maybe he saw merchants from Asshai in some of the places he visited.

Like, he was in Volantis and he saw some merchants from Asshai where he stayed and they asked him about The Rock (Quentyn saw men from the Shadow).

I thought the same thing, but it doesn't fit based on the wording,

Lomas Longstrider reports that, even in far Asshai-by-the-Shadow, there were merchants who asked him if it was true that the “Lion Lord” lived in a palace of solid gold and that crofters collected a wealth of gold simply by plowing their fields.

It could be wrong, but the wording is pretty clear that Lomas was IN Asshai when he was asked.

The sisters of Baelor I (page 91, first print).

[...] and that the child conceived that night was by her cousin Aegon - he who later became King Aegon the Unworthy.

This is about the marriage of Elaena to Ossifer Plumm in 176 AC. It is rumoured that Aegon had conceived Viserys Plumm on Elaena the night of her wedding. By this time, Aegon was already king.. So the statement of "he who later became King Aegon the Unworthy" sounds a bit strange, as he already was King Aegon..

I thought the same thing, but it doesn't fit based on the wording,

Lomas Longstrider reports that, even in far Asshai-by-the-Shadow, there were merchants who asked him if it was true that the “Lion Lord” lived in a palace of solid gold and that crofters collected a wealth of gold simply by plowing their fields.

It could be wrong, but the wording is pretty clear that Lomas was IN Asshai when he was asked.

I'm willing to get behind this. These are pretty clear statements of a specific question related to the "Lion Lord"

Also noted is that the book is written as if we are students - perhaps in the Citidel - reading a text of history by a Maester. And Maesters make mistakes. The Throw-away line "Lomas Longstrider never saw Asshai-by-the-shadow" could be easily passed off as an error penned by an ignorant historian.

I prefer to believe that Lomas visited Asshai. Why would he not? It's talked about the world over. Not going to Asshai would be like Marco Polo turning back for Italy when only 20 miles from China. Why would any traveler-adventurer do that?

Honestly though,this is a pretty obvious miss of authorship. Subsequent printings of TWOIAF should strike the line on page 309 - unless this internal inconsistency is intentional,but I don't think it is.

In the Lannisters under the Dragons section it states that:

Two of the captives were Lannisters of Lannisport, distant kin to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock, but the third was a young squire, Stafford Lannister, the eldest son and heir of Lord Tytos late brother, Ser Jason.

Yet in the Lannister family we see that Jason Lannister had a son, Damon, with his first wife Alys Stackspear.

This passage seems to be suffering from timeline issues:

In the last years of his reign, Prince Daeron proved the chief obstacle to Aegon’s misrule. Some lords of the realm clearly saw opportunity in the increasingly corpulent, gluttonous king who could be convinced to part with honors, offices, and lands for the promise of pleasures. Others, who condemned the king’s behavior, began to flock to Prince Daeron. For, despite all his threats and calumnies and tasteless japes, the king never formally disowned his son. Accounts differ as to why: some suggest that some shriveled part of Aegon still knew honor, or at least shame. The likeliest cause, however, was that he knew that such an act would bring war to the realm, for Daeron’s allies—chief among them the Prince of Dorne, whose sister Daeron had wed—would defend his rights. Perhaps it was for this reason that Aegon turned his attention to Dorne, using the hatred for the Dornishmen that still burned in the marches, the stormlands, and the Reach to suborn some of Daeron’s allies and use them against his most powerful supporters. Fortunately for the realm, the king’s plans to invade Dorne in 174 proved a complete failure. Though His Grace built a huge fleet, thinking to succeed as Daeron the Young Dragon had done, it was broken and scattered by storms on its way to Dorne.

it starts by referring to "the last years of his (Aegon IV) rule" as a prelude to discussing why Aegon was belligerent towards Dorne at that time, but the invasion of 174 was at the beginning of Aegon's reign (172-184).

I think the entire passage can be fixed by changing the date of 174 to say, 179 or so. I would assume that this proposed invasion of Dorne also came after the death of Aemon the Dragonknight, but that's not certain.

It seems that way when reading the entire passage

Birds flew and couriers raced to bear word of the victory at the Ruby Ford. When the news reached the Red Keep, it was said that Aerys cursed the Dornish, certain that Lewyn had betrayed Rhaegar. He sent his pregnant queen, Rhaella, and his younger son and new heir, Viserys, away to Dragonstone, but Princess Elia was forced to remain in King's Landing with Rhaegar's children as hostage against Dorne. Having burned his previous Hand, Lord Chelsted, alive for bad counsil during the war, Aerys now appointed another to the position: the alchemist Rossart - a man of low birth, with little to recommend him but his flames and trickery.

The books state that Rossart was Hand for a fortnight, but nowhere is it specified that Rossart became Hand the night Chelsted died. I always figured that it would only be logical that Rossart would have been named within 24 hours of Chelsteds death (thus either that same night, or the next day).

The books also state that Jon Darry was present the night Chelsted died, and Aerys then raped Rhaella. Jon Darry left with Rhaegar, so Rhaegar would have left the next day, or even later..

But it isn't stated whether Rossart was named Hand immediately after Chelsted died, which makes me wonder. While the World Book seems to suggest that Rossart was named only after the Trident (which would mean a fortnight passed between the Trident and the Sack), that would mean that Aerys went a few weeks without a Hand.. Would that make sense?

Hmm, yeah, in context it does seem to be written in a way that suggests Rossart was appointed after they learned the result of the Trident rather than the Trident taking place within the fortnight he was Hand, and that there was a period where Aerys didn't have a Hand (unless someone else got appointed and burned in between, lol). I don't think it is impossible for Aerys to have no Hand for a few weeks, but it seems a little odd, maybe because it always seemed to me that he appointed Rossart pretty quickly.

Archived