[TWOIAF Spoiler] Targaryen Lineage

MoIaF

So, a lot of interesting information in the World book.

I found it particularly interesting that Maekar married a Dayne and Egg married a Blackwood. I wonder what that means for the current series.

Might there have been skin changers we don't know about?

ETA:

The Targaryen Lineage: Curtesy of Lord Varys

The Targaryen lineage:

1. Valaena Velaryon - Aerion Targaryen: Visenya, Aegon, Rhaenys

2. Aegon - Rhaenys: Aenys; Visenya - Aegon: Maegor

3. Aenys - Alyssa Velaryon: Rhaena, Aegon, Viserys, Jaehaerys, Alysanna, Vaella

4. Maegor - Ceryse Hightower, Alys Harroway, Tyanna of the Tower, Rhaena Targaryen, Jeyne Westerling, Elinor Costayne: no surviving issue

5. Aegon - Rhaena: Aerea & Rhalla Targaryen [twin girls, Maegor names Aerea his heir after he marries Rhaena and disinherits Jaehaerys, Rhaena survives Maegor, and her children most likely, too, no (further) husbands for Rhaena or her children are known, though a Velaryon match would not be unlikely]

6. Alyssa Velaryon Targaryen - Robar Baratheon: Boremund & Jocelyn Baratheon [Alyssa served as Queen Regent and Robar as Hand and Lord Protector during Jaehaerys' minority; they married half a year after his coronation]

7. Jaehaerys - Alysanne Targaryen: {Aegon}, Alyssa, Aemon, Baelon, Daella, Viserra, Maegelle, Vaegon, {Valerion}, {Aeryn}, {Gaemon}, Saera, Gael. [bracket guys died as children]

8. Aemon - Jocelyn Baratheon: Rhaenys Targaryen

9. Alyssa Targaryen - Baelon Targaryen: Viserys, Daemon, Aegon [no idea what happened to Aegon - could be the Ape Prince]

10. Daella Targaryen - Lord Rodrik Arryn: Aemma Arryn

11. Rhaenys Targaryen - Corlys Velaryon: Laena, Laenor

12. Viserys - Aemma: Rhaenyra, Baelon

13. Viserys - Alicent Hightower: Aegon, Helaena, Aemond, Daeron

14. Daemon - Laena: Baela, Rhaena

15. Rhaenyra - Laenor: Jacaerys, Lucerys, Joffrey

16. Rhaenyra - Daemon: Aegon, Viserys

17. Aegon - Helaena: Jaehaerys, Jaehaera, Maelor

18. Aegon - Jaehaera: no issue

19. Aegon - Daenaera Velaryon [daughter of Daeron Velaryon, who was a cousin of Alyn Oakenfist]: Daeron, Baelor, Daena, Rhaena, Elaena

20. Viserys - Larra Rogare of Lys: Aegon, Aemon, Naerys

21. Baela - Alyn 'Oakenfist' Velaryon: issue [baela was already dead when Elaena had her affair with Alyn, because she hoped to marry him.]

22. Rhaena of Pentos - Corwyn Corbray: no issue

23. Rhaena of Pentos - Garmund Hightower: six daughters [one may have married a Hightower cousin]

24. Baelor - Daena: no issue [Daeron I did not marry]

25. Aegon - Naerys: Daeron, Daenerys

26. Elaena - Ossifer Plumm: Lord Viserys Plumm [true father possibly Aegon the Unworthy]

27. Elaena - Ronnel Penrose [Daeron's Master of Coin]: Robin, Laena, Jocelyn, Joy [one of them may have been Aelinor Penrose, or, with a lot of goodwill, the mother of Aelinor Penrose]

28. Elaena - Michael Mandwoody: no issue

29. Daeron - Mariah Martell: Baelor, Aerys, Rhaegel, Maekar

30. Daenerys - Maron Martell: (multiple) issue

31. Baelor - Jena Dondarrion: Valarr, Matarys

32. Aerys - Aelinor Penrose [a cousin of Aerys, possibly one of the daughters/granddaughter of Elaena]: no issue

33. Rhaegel - Alys Arryn: Aelor, Aelora (twins), Daenora

34. Maekar - Dyanna Dayne: Daeron, Aerion, Aemon, Daella, Aegon, Rhae

35. Valarr - Kiera of Tyrosh: no issue

36. Daeron - Kiera of Tyrosh: Vaella the Simple

37. Aelor - Aelora: no issue

38. Aerion - Daenora: Maegor [possibly the Ape Prince]

39. Aegon - Betha Blackwood: Duncan, Jaehaerys, Shaera, Daeron 'the Gay', Rhaelle

40. Duncan - Jenny: no known issue!!!

41. Jaehaerys - Shaera: Aerys, Rhaella

42. Rhaelle - Ormund Baratheon: Steffon

43. Aerys - Rhaella: Rhaegar, {lots of stillbirths, miscarriages & children who died young, among them the Princes Aegon, Daeron, Jaehaerys, and the Princess Shaena}, Viserys, Daenerys

44. Rhaegar - Elia Martell: Rhaenys, Aegon

45. Daenerys - Khal Drogo: {Rhaego}

I hope I did not forget anything.

Missing are:

1. The husbands/wives of Rhaena (if she remarried after Maegor), Aerea & Rhalla. The must have been some offspring there. The Great Council dismisses nine lesser claimants in 101 before the main claimants, Laenor and Viserys are discussed. Those could include Aemma, Rhaenys, Laena, Daemon, Aegon, and Rhaenyra. Possibly Archmaester Vaegon as well. Alyssa Targaryen seems to have been dead at that time, as were all other children of Jaehaerys and Alysanne, besides, possibly, Saera, and she was running a brothel in Volantis.

2. The husbands of Daella and Rhae - one of them or their descendants may have married into House Tarth.

3. The wife of Prince Maegor.

4. The children of Duncan & Jenny - if they had any.

The Blackfyre Lineage: Curtesy of Lord Varys

The Blackfyre lineage as far we know it from the text (no family tree for them):

1. Daemon Blackfyre - Rohanne of Tyrosh [presumably the daughter of the Archon, to whom Daeron paid the dowry Aegon had brokered before his death; Aegon indulged Daemon in his fancy idea to take two wives, but, that of course, never happened, especially not with Daeron in charge.]: Aegon, Aemon, Calla, Daemon the Younger, Haegon, Aenys, sixth son, seventh son, at least one other daughter.

[The marriage between Valarr and Kiera of Tyrosh must have occurred after the Redgrass Field - just as the matches between Rhaegel-Alys Arryn, and Aerys-Aelinor Penrose - most likely to convince the elite of Tyrosh to not back the claims of the Blackfyres militarily. We don't know whether Rohanne and Kiera are from the same family - the Archon office could have passed to some other guy in between 184 AC and 196/around 207-9 when Valarr was most likely married. After Valarr's death the Targaryens married his widow to another prince on a good place in the line of succession to ensure the continued good graces of the Tyroshi.]

2. Aegor 'Bittersteel' Rivers - Calla Blackfyre [Daemon's eldest daughter, most likely born between the twins and Daemon the Younger]: no known issue, but my guess is that a daughter from that union is the (great-)grandmother of Illyrio Mopatis.

3. Haegon Blackfyre - unknown wife: Daemon III, and at least one other son.

4. Aenys Blackfyre - no wife known, thus no idea whether he had any children. His descendants would have been not exactly Targaryen fans, though...

5. No wife/children known for Daemon III.

6. Another Daemon is mentioned, Maelys is his cousin and kills him brutally in Gregor-like fashion when he takes over the Golden Company. This Daemon cannot be a brother of Daemon III, but he most certainly is of an elder Blackfyre line than Maelys since he commands the Golden Company before Maelys kills him. That makes this Daemon either a son of Aenys, or the sixth son of Daemon I, I think.

7. Maelys is the last male Blackfyre from the male line. He does not have any sons - suggesting that he is unmarried (very likely anyway, due to his monstrous appearance) nor younger brothers.

We should also keep in mind that not only the pretenders may have been killed during the Blackfyre Rebellions, but their sons, nephews, brothers, and uncles, too. Daemon the Younger died during the reign of Aerys I, the Third Rebellion occurred in 219 AC, and led to the death of the pretender Haegon. The Fourth killed at least Daemon III but possibly others as well.

I think the Blackwood ancestry is really interesting. If the Stark tree preview held up, it seems Willem and Egg married Blackwood brides around the same time (so Jon has a double shot of it, plus the two brother-sister marriages of people descended from Betha). I don't think any of the previous dragon riders had such ancestry, so it will be interesting to see how it impacts Dany and any other Targ or Stark who rides a dragon.

There was quite an influx of First Men blood in later years, and understandably, Dornishes marriages. Just something I've noticed, there has never been an Iron Island or Northern marriage. And the marriages seem to be of vassal rather then Great Houses, which is confounding. If it's not a fellow Targ or an Arryn or Baratheon, it's a vassal.

I think the Blackwood ancestry is really interesting. If the Stark tree preview held up, it seems Willem and Egg married Blackwood brides around the same time (so Jon has a double shot of it, plus the two brother-sister marriages of people descended from Betha). I don't think any of the previous dragon riders had such ancestry, so it will be interesting to see how it impacts Dany and any other Targ or Stark who rides a dragon.

I'm in the camp that dragons can't be skin change or at least not without consequences but it's going to be interesting to see if Dany's Blackwood heritage makes her bond to Drogon stronger then ever seen before.

Daynes still worship Old Gods. Please, GRRM, let it be.

That would be awesome. Also, it sort of cracked me up that Dany might have more First Men blood than the Stark children.

I've never really gotten into the skin change a dragon stuff. But I am now wondering if it helped Dany bond, perhaps in the absence or diminishment of whatever used to help Targs bond with their dragons.

Perhaps it'll be a hybrid of her own Valyrian ability to bond with a dragon with whatever she I heritage from her Balckwood heritage. But I agree I think this might help her with the dragon bonding process. I wonder if it didn't happen earlier because she hadn't accepted her "inner dragon" and now that she's receptive it'll develops.

Well, everybody in Westeros has First Men blood. Stannis's mother is from a First Men House.

I strongly doubt Targs having FM blood like everybody else will matter.

Well, I think it's more about being a Targaryen and a Blackwood - the last time those two had a child Bloodraven was the product. I don't think it's a coincidence that Egg's wife was a Blackwood.

I'm in the camp that dragons can't be skin change or at least not without consequences but it's going to be interesting to see if Dany's Blackwood heritage makes her bond to Drogon stronger then ever seen before.

That would be awesome. Also, it sort of cracked me up that Dany might have more First Men blood than the Stark children.

Well technically the Tully's are also first men.

This Blackwood heritage is a bomb indeed! In the world of GRRM's simplified genetics that makes Dany practically the same as Bloodraven! And given how Blackwoods were originally from the North, it gives a whole new aspect to the "song of ice and fire", heh.

It might also explain Dany's instant connection with her silver horse. Given that she has always been healthy and not really in position to adopt/own animals, it is possible that she has skinchanger potential that never had a chance to develop previously. After all, let's not forget that neither Robb nor Jon developed any skinchanging until they got their pups, _despite_ constant contact with horses and hounds typical for the noble boys.

Also, I am now back to believing that unfortunate little Princess Rhaenys skin-changed the kitten Balerion, that he is the old black tomcat with the ragged ear, and that some remnant of her is still in him. Bloodraven may be taking him over occasionally, but he wouldn't have stooped to childish stuff like stealing a quail from Tywin's fingers or frightening Tommen's kittens.

Black Betha might also be a possible source of Tyrion's black eye and streaks of black in his otherwise "almost white" hair.

Dayne, heh. Makes it all the more likely that Sword of the Morning is the magical sword of legend and that Jon will somehow come to wield it.

Well, I see Bloodraven as being a one-time thing. None of Egg's children that we know of used FM magic. And Dany would have only about 12.5% Blackwood blood (excluding the negligible Blackwood blood that entered the Targaryen line through other Houses). 12.5% is probably the amount of Targaryen blood Quentyn had, again disregarding indirect Targ blood. That 12.5% Dragon blood didn't do much for poor Quentyn.

Where do you get that number? After Egg married Betha the next two generations (brothers and sisters) intermarried. There was no change to the families genetic makeup.

GRRM could have had Egg marry anyone, why a Blackwood? We know that they are a family associated with skin changing. Like I said I don't think it's a coincidence and neither is the fact that there were two generation of intermarriage.

Well technically the Tully's are also first men.

Oh really? Well then, I stand corrected.

Well, I see Bloodraven as being a one-time thing. None of Egg's children that we know of used FM magic.

So? It obviously can skip generations. There is also a hint that the Lady Blackwood who was defeated by Harwyn Hoare may have had green dreams.

And Dany would have only about 12.5% Blackwood blood

How do you figure this? Her parents and grandparents have been incestious couples. And her single great-grandmother was a Blackwood. In simplified world of GRRM's genetics, that makes her half a Blackwood.

I am now curious if the Tullys also had a Blackwood in their pedigree recently.

Egg's Blackwood wife most likely had further influences on history than just genetics.

Jaehaerys II had his two children (Aerys and Rhaella) marry on the advice of Jenny of Oldstone's wood witch friend (who almost certainly is now the Ghost of High Heart.) Jenny claimed her friend was a CotF. The Faith hated the CotF; it would seem to be rather strange for a follower of the Seven to take advice from a CotF. Jaehaerys' attitudes toward the CotF and the Old Gods must have been influenced by his mother's upbringing.

Hehe, yeah, Tyrion inherited his black hair from his paternal great-grandmother. Jaehaerys got lucky in regard to the Targ looks - and the monstrosity genes, look at his hand - but Duncan had black hair, and Daeron's was a darker blond.

As to the Blackwoods: We don't know how and when Bloodraven realized that he was a skinchanger. He is never described as being accompanied by animals. And we don't know anything about any blood ties between Betha and Bloodraven, however one should know that Missy gave Aegon IV Brynden and two daughters...

I'll give a fully detailed commentary on the family tree later

Archived